Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheelies and police response - what is the typical fine?

Bike
    TL1000

Wheelies and police response - what is the typical fine?

Hi, new member here. I have a few bikes prone to wheelies - TL1000, RSV4, Kawasaki 636 (stunt sprocket). Could you guys please post experiences being pulled over for doing a wheelie? Is a dangerous driving charge the typical police response? This is in New Zealand.

Thank you

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by benTL View Post
    Hi, new member here. I have a few bikes prone to wheelies - TL1000, RSV4, Kawasaki 636 (stunt sprocket). Could you guys please post experiences being pulled over for doing a wheelie? Is a dangerous driving charge the typical police response? This is in New Zealand.

Thank you
    Yep! It's dangerous!
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Apparently, they're not big or clever! But on the police response thing, good luck with getting let off, it's not a crime unless you get caught!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    There are probably as many opinions as members, but the opinions of Scumdog and Rastuscat count more in an instance such as this.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2

Thank you
    Been there. Years ago I pulled a wheelie on my 2 month old XL500 down the main St of Howick. Feb 1980. I was told I rode through a zebra crossing on my back wheel on my brand new bike. I was only a boy, 18 years old. Two cops saw me. Knock on the door a few weeks later and I'm off to court. Turned out the two cops were Husband and wife but, they were in different cars, both of them HQ Holdens. The 253 V8 Belmont. I'd only started shaving my chin back then and balls my hadn't long dropped. I was 17 when I bought the bike new.

Turned out the Husband said one thing and the wife said another in front of the Judge. Judge dismissed it and I got away with re-sitting my license and a $200 fine. Re-sat my license and..failed. Good luck mate. Be interesting to see how you get on.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Yah could be given a rev up by the cop and a ticket for 'something' (Used to be my approach is the situation suited.)

Or off to court for careless use

Or if conditions are relevant a dangerous driving court appearance (Say for doing a wheelie down a busy street with people crossing the road, cars pulling out of car parks etc)

Also depends whether the cop actually sees you or somebody makes a complaint.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    As said, specifically a dangerous charge would be related to circumstances/environment. It would be a hard one for them to make stick if it was a country road, clear visibility, and no-one around. Do it on a suburban street while school children are leaving and well... do I need to go on?

As to other charges, there are a host of them at their disposal. Sometimes what you're charged with depends on the officer, from the point of view that some will have "go to" charges, as knowing every law and charge in and out is somewhat unlikely. There are catch all type offences, like operating a vehicle in a manner likely to cause nuisance or offence. Stings you more financially than demerit and you avoid court by paying up. See it as a you got caught, now you're punished, now bugger off and behave.

The heavier the charge, the higher the burden of proof which correlates to the amount of work they have to do. Sometimes the cop wants to drill home a point, other times they've got bigger fish to fry, but you've annoyed them enough to earn some attention.

There is no certainty in what you get charged with because of the variety available and the circumstances, but, if you're caught breaking the law, then expect to be punished. If you're worried about how it affects your licence/job/family, then reconsider breaking the law?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    And if it goes to court, there really are cops out there who will blatantly lie under oath - just to secure a conviction.

Believe me.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Wheelies are cool and a good one shows a decent level of skill. Just keep doing them and tell us what you eventually get charged with.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Wheelies are cool and a good one shows a decent level of skill. Just keep doing them and tell us what you eventually get charged with.
    Nice one, Centurion.

Ask OAB about him, me and wheelies. Chuckle.

Bike
    TL1000
    The reason I was asking is they gave me a dangerous driving charge and minimum is loss of licence for 6 months.
    I was going to please not guilty because it was in an industrial area of the city at midnight with no other traffic around. And its not really dangerous if you know what you are doing and are very experienced.

Bike
    TL1000
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Yep! It's dangerous!
    If you read the legislation there is dangerous, reckless, careless - the police need to pick one.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    If you read the legislation there is dangerous, reckless, careless - the police need to pick one.
    Wow, he really knows his stuff.
    Do the crime/wheelie, do the time.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Nice one, Centurion.

Ask OAB about him, me and wheelies. Chuckle.
    Better work stories, just doing my part! Still dine out on that story haha.

But yes I've had everything from 'save it for the track, now off you go' to 'you can choose, careless or dangerous'.

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Better work stories, just doing my part! Still dine out on that story haha.

But yes I've had everything from 'save it for the track, now off you go' to 'you can choose, careless or dangerous'.
    Ive seen some of your work and none seemed careless or dangerous

Thread Information