Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Automotive bolts where to buy?

Bike
    1994 BMW r100 GS/PD

the bolt holder

Ive always used these guys very impressed with how fast they dispatch same day delivery from Matamata to Edgecumbe in the BOP http://www.theboltholder.co.nz

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I'm not going to recommend a supplier. But I am going to recommend learning the language.

Generally on a bike, bolts ain't bolts. They may be machine screws, setscrews or rarely, bolts.

If you can ask for exactly what you want it makes the suppliers job much easier.
    I suffer from using bolts every day, not often having to use machine screws etc. Occasionally I need a refresher about naming other sorts of fasteners.

Cap screws, Allen head screws or Allen head cap screws can be a nightmare. Most stores have employees who only know what's written on the screen in front of them.

Appreciate the reminder about naming conventions etc.
    I personally dislike gauge and pipe and pipe thread naming. But it serves a purpose.

But in the modern age. CAD programs ask for a standard to choose an item. The description it places on the BOM is usually rubbish, added by a programmer no doubt off a standard. Almost always the range of available items doesn't cover what you need. I often use bolts longer than 150mm - end up creating them myself.

Jap bikes tend to have quite shallow hex large diameter domed head cap screw not available locally. Don't ask how I know about the shallow hex depth.

Yes the terminology is important and helps understanding.

Thanks Grumph

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Exercycle
    The fastener trade caught me out a few years back when they changed the terminology of something I used occasionally.

Socket head capscrews designed to go in a countersunk hole - which we always called countersunk heads - are apparently now officially "Flatheads"......

Locally, Blacks fasteners do quite a good wall chart - with pictures even. I'm sure others do the same.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    The fastener trade caught me out a few years back when they changed the terminology of something I used occasionally.

Socket head capscrews designed to go in a countersunk hole - which we always called countersunk heads - are apparently now officially "Flatheads"......

Locally, Blacks fasteners do quite a good wall chart - with pictures even. I'm sure others do the same.
    I'm pretty sure if I ask for countersunk cap screws they'll still know what I'm talking about

All those charts can be printed off their website, the threading and tapping chart has been very useful over the years
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Not much to add, but second Blacks, Anzor etc.

I remember needing a bolt made, nothing came long enough in the configuration I needed, so it was custom made, coated etc. Cost $75 for one... It's those little things you remember...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Counterbored vs countersunk vs spot facing

READ AND UDESTAND

Thread Information