Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice for getting on the road first time

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    The golden rule I tried to stick to when doing my Advanced Test, as well as when I was helping others with their Advanced test prep some years back, was to give yourself no more than 1-2 things to think about/practice per ride. Any more and you lose the enjoyment because you're having to think about it which then gets in the way of your ride flowing like it should.

Counter steering is a classic example of this - Having said that it's worth sticking to it as it works ruddy well when riding an unfamiliar road. I guess the best advice is to simply go out and enjoy it. Getting to know and refine your skills out there beats sitting in a classroom talking about it any day of the week.
    I agree whole heatedly

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    The golden rule I tried to stick to when doing my Advanced Test, as well as when I was helping others with their Advanced test prep some years back, was to give yourself no more than 1-2 things to think about/practice per ride. Any more and you lose the enjoyment because you're having to think about it which then gets in the way of your ride flowing like it should.
    Spot on Lee! When I was training for my Advanced Roadcraft Test, I tried to improve too many things at once, the standard of riding declined and I lost some of the enjoyment. Fortunately, my new mentor at that time (who happened to be Philip McDaid) straightened me out. It's a real issue and great that you mentioned it.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Spot on Lee! When I was training for my Advanced Roadcraft Test, I tried to improve too many things at once, the standard of riding declined and I lost some of the enjoyment. Fortunately, my new mentor at that time (who happened to be Philip McDaid) straightened me out. It's a real issue and great that you mentioned it.
    Phil is a legend. Just sayin.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Phil is a legend. Just sayin.
    He sure is Pete. Absolutely humble about his abilities too. I owe him big time.

Thread Information