Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The FLOW

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    I can print one off ig you like then everyone can take advise from to you Bob.
    I don't give advice on riding, because the smart don't need it and the stupid don't heed it.
    Plus, how do you give advice to a noob that has a 300 with ABS? That's a no consequence for ineptitude situation.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    I don't give advice on riding, because the smart don't need it and the stupid don't heed it.
    Plus, how do you give advice to a noob that has a 300 with ABS? That's a no consequence for ineptitude situation.
    Speaking of noobs. While doing the test ride yesterday to test out the rear tyre repai r some noob on a small capacity sprot bike who I saw about 600mtrs behind me in my RH rear view mirror while stopped on the left verge of an intersextion had some sort of spaz while turning right down Valley Road. Obviously doesn't know what a stationary m/c parked well left on a verge of the road with rare stoplight on. Was going to follow him and ruin his on the FX but decided not to as his day had obviously already turned to shit.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    I need to take advice from someone that's got a certificate.
    Sounds like it, its the old folk that need the most training.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    See my last post.

Bike
    A
    If you're a lifelong rider, and plenty of us are, the plight of the noob is a tad foreign to us.

The problems for the noob that has a 300 with ABS go like this:

1. Can't steer bike around a corner
    2. Terrified to look where they want to go
    3. What do you mean this lever on right handlebar works the front brake
    4. Not using anywhere near enough of that front brake to stop in a hurry

Oh, and some of us have the certificates to offer advice, but your reference to the smart and the stupid is on point for sure.

Bike
    motocompo
    So what sets this "expert"above me? apart from said bit of paper and the need for employment.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    So what sets this "expert"above me? apart from said bit of paper and the need for employment.
    I think you are riding the instructor a little hard (Pun fully intended).

Everytime I've done any form of Course - whether it be Riding, IT or whatever, I invariably learn 'something' - could be small, could be big - but usually there is something.

If you were to observe each-others riding, I'm sure there are differences that you each would observe and be able to offer advice as to why doing it way X is better than way Y.

As an example - I ride with 2 fingers covering the brake at all times, The speed of reaction has IMO helped me avoid unexpected situations - whereas I believe BanditBandit swears by never doing this and that if he needs to brake, he uses all 4 fingers so he can get the maximum leverage on the brake lever.

With all Safety advise - there are some things that are demonstrably unsafe, some things that are demonstrably safe and some things that exist in the murky grey area where it really comes down to personal preference.

TL;DR - both of you stop trying to piss higher on the fence.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    The training they went through to get that bit of paper.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post

Everytime I've done any form of Course - whether it be Riding, IT or whatever, I invariably learn 'something' - could be small, could be big - but usually there is something.

If you were to observe each-others riding, I'm sure there are differences that you each would observe and be able to offer advice as to why doing it way X is better than way Y.

As an example - I ride with 2 fingers covering the brake at all times, The speed of reaction has IMO helped me avoid unexpected situations - whereas I believe BanditBandit swears by never doing this and that if he needs to brake, he uses all 4 fingers so he can get the maximum leverage on the brake lever.

With all Safety advise - there are some things that are demonstrably unsafe, some things that are demonstrably safe and some things that exist in the murky grey area where it really comes down to personal preference.

Eggzakerly. Some will accept training and some will not. Ive not had any form of training in which I have not learnt something.

As a generalization, Ive found the old goats more likely to push back and not accept new concepts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries

Eggzakerly. Some will accept training and some will not. Ive not had any form of training in which I have not learnt something.

As a generalization, Ive found the old goats more likely to push back and not accept new concepts.
    But after all your superiority, you still have not actually, nor anyone else, told us what FLOW is? Do you know and are willing to share? Or just being smugly righteous, Karen styles?

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Obviously doesn't know what a stationary m/c parked well left on a verge of the road with rare stoplight on.
    Piss poor parking by the sound of it.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Where did the "Trainers" get their training ... ???

Sounds like the "Chicken and egg" scenario. Which came first ... the trainers ... or the bit of paper ... ???
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Where did the "Trainers" get their training ... ???

Sounds like the "Chicken and egg" scenario. Which came first ... the trainers ... or the bit of paper ... ???
    And the Trainers of those Trainers who taught the Trainers to train.....to produce that certificate.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    If you're a lifelong rider, and plenty of us are, the plight of the noob is a tad foreign to us.

The problems for the noob that has a 300 with ABS go like this:

1. Can't steer bike around a corner
    2. Terrified to look where they want to go
    3. What do you mean this lever on right handlebar works the front brake
    4. Not using anywhere near enough of that front brake to stop in a hurry

Oh, and some of us have the certificates to offer advice, but your reference to the smart and the stupid is on point for sure.
    Something an experienced rider cannot teach them on?

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post

I'm glad they have those courses, it demonstrates some real initiative from the govt on the subject, and I'm pleased people are getting value from it.
    I have sat through a Ride Forever lecture, and all I keep thinking is, "I can't fuckin believe people need telling this shit" human survival instinct has been bred out of recent generations.
    Finger over the brake, I thought everyone did that without being told. Try a 850 twist & go in heavy traffic, it's both hands over both brakes.
    Fair enough, I'm an old goat, and when I see the vacuous faces at a ride forever nodding sagely about things I've taken for granted for decades, I'm quite glad I'm not a young goat.
    Having said that, I've attended the aviation equivalent of a ride forever course, a pursuit I took up more than three decades after motorcycling chose me, and in that environment I'm one of those vacuous noobs that's absorbing every detail like my life depends upon it.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Having said that, I've attended the aviation equivalent of a ride forever course, a pursuit I took up more than three decades after motorcycling chose me, and in that environment I'm one of those vacuous noobs that's absorbing every detail like my life depends upon it.
    In either pursuit ... Your life does depend on any one of those little "details" ...

I have known a few riders that were (in their own words) "Too good a rider to crash" ... but did anyway. Go figure ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information