Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The FLOW

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Whemn I ride I try to use as little braking as possible. Pick the right amount of revs and right gear I can use the engine as part of rthe slowing up process. This usual relates to lower speed but you less likely to great into a panic situation if going balls to the wall and relying soully on your front break to haul you up. The figures on the front break varies depending on the situation. Gravel roads and slick tarmic its a no no for me, in city traffic a definite yipsireebob. As I've said before formal lessons are only part of the learning process and only about 20% of it sinks in. It's not until you get put in to real life situations and gain experience in those situations reactions start to be more automatic.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    I don't think I have any pics of my racing days without a finger on the clutch. Whether that's from two strokes I don't know ?
    Lots have a finger hovering over the front brake as well.

Like Sidebob, 56 yrs of riding has lots of info in the head, probably have heard it all ?
    But even now I'm still talking to myself and practicing as many as I can.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    I don't think I have any pics of my racing days without a finger on the clutch. Whether that's from two strokes I don't know ?
    Lots have a finger hovering over the front brake as well.

Like Sidebob, 56 yrs of riding has lots of info in the head, probably have heard it all ?
    But even now I'm still talking to myself and practicing as many as I can.
    There seems to be this attitude that if you dont feel the need to do training that you must be some kind of smart arse thats cruising for a spill.
    Ive been training constantly, road racing, dirt, touring, sidecar racing, commuting since before i left school.
    If there were operational or safety aspects of motorcycling i was still struggling to grasp id be front & centre of any training i could get myself to.
    Currently i dont feel that would be a profitable use of my time, that may change as years advance.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    In a previous life I spent many weekends helping with courses so I could have taken the course myself but, well I never got the piece of paper. Racing overtook my interest.

I do remember the mixed range of skills and attitudes that arrived. The best part we taught was roadcraft which tried to instill experience in condenced form to help them survive the learning process. What we couldn't help with is the male approach to risk and ego. Females often made good students. Generally if they were young enough to believe in themselves.

Typical MX guy would just blitz the rest of the class with skill. But shit they did some dumb arse stuff on the road rides. A lot of them took away nothing except the piece of paper they had come for.

I left before I became too cynical but I can understand some of the comments from trainers as they kinda see riders like cops see the public. Potential criminals.

Pity, I thought the Fucking gay training line was comic. . .
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    In a previous life I spent many weekends helping with courses so I could have taken the course myself but, well I never got the piece of paper. .
    We should thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster for that!

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    In a previous life I spent many weekends helping with courses so I could have taken the course myself but, well I never got the piece of paper. Racing overtook my interest.

I do remember the mixed range of skills and attitudes that arrived. The best part we taught was roadcraft which tried to instill experience in condenced form to help them survive the learning process. What we couldn't help with is the male approach to risk and ego. Females often made good students. Generally if they were young enough to believe in themselves.

Typical MX guy would just blitz the rest of the class with skill. But shit they did some dumb arse stuff on the road rides. A lot of them took away nothing except the piece of paper they had come for.

I left before I became too cynical but I can understand some of the comments from trainers as they kinda see riders like cops see the public. Potential criminals.

Pity, I thought the Fucking gay training line was comic. . .
    It was fuckin gay, not fucking gay, which are two different things.
    I bought a Katana 1100 shortly after I turned 18, if I'd had a huge ego then I'd have been dead for many years by now like a few guys I knew back then.
    On another note, I'd say that around 80% of bikes I did warrants on had a handling flaw that suggested the owner had absolutely no idea what a motorcycle should actually feel like to ride.
    Usually it was 12psi in the front tyre, or notchy steering head bearings.
    On one occasion I had a Cagiva Raptor that had been assembled out of parts, using a triple tree that had a smaller bottom bearing than the original.
    The whole weight of the steering was resting on the bottom seal & it required extreme force to steer & weaved in a straight line.
    He had been using it like that for months, and was a bit affronted that I failed it on a WOF.
    It said as much about his abilities & what felt right and wrong to him, as it did about his mechanical skills. Hi Jeff.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    I bought a Katana 1100 shortly after I turned 18, if I'd had a huge ego then I'd have been dead for many years by now like a few guys I knew back then.
    I took the opposite approach Steve. My first m/c was a second hand Honda '77 CJ250. It served me well for 12 months. Traveling between Hobsonville and Havelock North just about every other weekend. Yes folk you can ride out side of the city limits and do around a 400km ride on a 250cc 4-stroke twin too much bother. Plenty of puff indeed to take ones bottem out sde city limits. After around 12,000kms I traded it for a brand new CB400T, about the same weight and proportions but with more power. Christchurch, across the ferry, on up to Havelock North during leave was a piece of piss on it. Basically a days riding. Loved every minute of riding on those to bikes.and learnt a lot more than you would in a 3 day formal teaching environment. Had a host of new an used bikes after that. I found I enjoyed trashing the smaller capacity machines more than the larger ones.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    At one time KB had a rider mentor arrangement. I guess that has gone well to the way side these days?

Now we just have folk posting "you need training" all the time.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Well I bow in honour at you manlyness SCB. I was a full year older before I bought the girls 750 Kat. But it was the SZ. Ot was about my 5th bike [counts, cough] 7th. Also had an X7 for thrashing.

The RD350 with 250 stickers and oversized tyres was dreadful at bike 3 after a couple of trailies. The humble GSX250 after taught me more as it actually went around corners.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information