Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: XSR900 - Post Covid blues - won't start

  1. #1
    Join Date
    9th March 2004 - 14:22
    Bike
    2017 XSR900
    Location
    JAFA
    Posts
    37

    XSR900 - Post Covid blues - won't start

    Hi All

    Got a 2107 XSR900. Commuted on it for 2.5 years now. Zero problems, its been flawless

    Its been parked up since covid lockdown, rode it once when we hit alert level1. Is started fine.

    Went to start it yesterday and had issues.

    Loud buzzing (from starter relay?), no dash lights and then the engine light came on (only one on dash). this went out and the ABS light came on. I assume battery.

    Took battery out and stuck in on the charger. Mine does a 7 stage test. It complained very quickly that there was a battery error so I assumed the arse had fallen out of the battery. Replaced with a new one and now the bike won't start.

    The starter cranks over fine, all the dash is lit up correctly but no engine fire. If you look down at the exhaust while cranking you can see small puffs out of the exhaust so I'm assuming unburnt gas?

    Any ideas where I should be looking next.

    Any assistance greatly appreciated.

    sry just realised this is the wrong forum. if an admin can cross post or move this it would be greatly appreciated

  2. #2
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,387
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOman View Post
    Hi All

    Got a 2107 XSR900. Commuted on it for 2.5 years now. Zero problems, its been flawless

    Took battery out and stuck in on the charger. Mine does a 7 stage test. It complained very quickly that there was a battery error so I assumed the arse had fallen out of the battery. Replaced with a new one and now the bike won't start.

    The starter cranks over fine, all the dash is lit up correctly but no engine fire. If you look down at the exhaust while cranking you can see small puffs out of the exhaust so I'm assuming unburnt gas?

    Any ideas where I should be looking next.

    Any assistance greatly appreciated.
    If it's a 2107 model ... and you've had it for 2.5 years already ... time travel must be your thing.

    Seriously though ... aside from the battery ... have you checked the plugs ???

    But ... I think stale fuel might be the issue. Drain and replace with fresh (put it in your car) and check the plugs for spark. They don't last forever so they might need replaced too.

    Simple things first.
    Sweat wipes off. Road-rash doesn't.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    9th January 2005 - 22:12
    Bike
    Street Triple R
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    7,769
    what he said. Battery. plugs. fuel. REmember, if it has air, fuel compression and timing the lors of physics REQUIRE it to start.
    In the white room, with black curtains, at the station

  4. #4
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,387
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    ... REmember, if it has air, fuel compression and timing the laws of physics REQUIRE it to start.
    What I call the big bangs theory. It doesn't always work that way ... but it's the way to bet. Plug leads earthing out can kill the spark.

    Or Kill switch issues.
    Sweat wipes off. Road-rash doesn't.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    9th March 2004 - 14:22
    Bike
    2017 XSR900
    Location
    JAFA
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    If it's a 2107 model ... and you've had it for 2.5 years already ... time travel must be your thing.

    Seriously though ... aside from the battery ... have you checked the plugs ???

    But ... I think stale fuel might be the issue. Drain and replace with fresh (put it in your car) and check the plugs for spark. They don't last forever so they might need replaced too.

    Simple things first.
    Lol. Yeah it was 2.5 years before covid. Bought Aug 2017

  6. #6
    Join Date
    9th March 2004 - 14:22
    Bike
    2017 XSR900
    Location
    JAFA
    Posts
    37
    The new battery with a full charge is registering 12.95v

    It didn't have a lot of fuel in it, about an 8th so I topped it up with fresh gas to 1/2. I guess the plugs are next but seems really odd that the last ride I had was perfect and it hasn't been moved until I attempted to start it again after about 6 weeks so plugs or earth don't magically happen when bike doesn't move, right?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,387
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOman View Post
    It didn't have a lot of fuel in it, about an 8th so I topped it up with fresh gas to 1/2. I guess the plugs are next but seems really odd that the last ride I had was perfect and it hasn't been moved until I attempted to start it again after about 6 weeks so plugs or earth don't magically happen when bike doesn't move, right?
    It's not magic ... there will be a reason. Otherwise it would have started.

    A burst of easy start down the throat might help initial ignition of any stale fuel/moisture in the lines.
    Sweat wipes off. Road-rash doesn't.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    9th January 2005 - 22:12
    Bike
    Street Triple R
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    7,769
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOman View Post
    The new battery with a full charge is registering 12.95v

    It didn't have a lot of fuel in it, about an 8th so I topped it up with fresh gas to 1/2. I guess the plugs are next but seems really odd that the last ride I had was perfect and it hasn't been moved until I attempted to start it again after about 6 weeks so plugs or earth don't magically happen when bike doesn't move, right?
    Dont take this the wrong way, but check the kill switch and stuff like the sidestand spring with a lockout.
    In the white room, with black curtains, at the station

  9. #9
    Join Date
    24th September 2004 - 06:46
    Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Location
    On the road to nowhere...
    Posts
    6,991
    I'd pick kill switch. Some bikes require you to pull in the clutch lever as well.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    5th January 2007 - 14:58
    Bike
    motocompo
    Location
    Buttfuck nowhere
    Posts
    5,146
    Did you put all the wires on the battery when you re installed it.
    Theres often two positive wires.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    9th March 2004 - 14:22
    Bike
    2017 XSR900
    Location
    JAFA
    Posts
    37
    Yep. There is only the main red and black AFAIK. In addition I have an Oxford heated grip kit so there is also the red and black for them.

    When I turn the ignition key to the ON position what lights should be up on the dash? before I attempt to start it. I can't recall.

    Anybody with an XSR 900 could you confirm?

    I have the Green Neutral and two orange, one for engine and the other for ABS. They all remain lit when I start to crank it. I can't recall if this is correct even though I've stared at it almost every day for over 2 years.

    I assume this means there is an error code that could be causing my problems and an OBD2 scanner might be needed to check it out and clear the issue.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    25th March 2004 - 17:22
    Bike
    RZ496/Street Triple R/GasGas/ etc etc
    Location
    Wellington. . ok the hutt
    Posts
    17,812
    I'd try a burst of easy start. Of if you live on a hill, roll it down, engahe 2nd gear and dump the clutch.

    I've had to do that twice on my STR. Theory: Some bikes seem to pick up condensation and just dont want to fire with water to injectors just on the button. First time I stripped it right down trying to find a reason. Bump start did the trick. Put fresh gas and cup of meths in the tank (absorbs water) and it was fine for another year.

    Risk is you might need to push it up the hill if it doesn't start. I have a van but didn't need it.
    I've been told. Dreaming`s free.
    Think I'll go, back to sleep.
    Everybody listen, voices in my head
    Everybody listen, do yours say, what mine says?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    20th June 2011 - 20:27
    Bike
    BMW XChallenge, MT09
    Location
    Glen Eden
    Posts
    9,787
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOman View Post
    Yep. There is only the main red and black AFAIK. In addition I have an Oxford heated grip kit so there is also the red and black for them.

    When I turn the ignition key to the ON position what lights should be up on the dash? before I attempt to start it. I can't recall.

    Anybody with an XSR 900 could you confirm?

    I have the Green Neutral and two orange, one for engine and the other for ABS. They all remain lit when I start to crank it. I can't recall if this is correct even though I've stared at it almost every day for over 2 years.

    I assume this means there is an error code that could be causing my problems and an OBD2 scanner might be needed to check it out and clear the issue.
    Have you ever had the tank up? Some of the kiwi MT/XSR seem to come with the evap canister and they can cause starting issues.

    Do you know someone with an OBD and yammie plug?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    24th April 2014 - 09:16
    Bike
    2016 Yamaha XSR900
    Location
    Russell
    Posts
    382
    With key turned on the two orange (ABS and Engine) light up and green neutral-after 2 seconds the engine orange goes off.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    9th March 2004 - 14:22
    Bike
    2017 XSR900
    Location
    JAFA
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    With key turned on the two orange (ABS and Engine) light up and green neutral-after 2 seconds the engine orange goes off.
    Thanks.

    The two orange lights remain on. So OBD Scanner here I come

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •