Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XSR900 - Post Covid blues - won't start

Bike
    2017 XSR900
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Have you ever had the tank up? Some of the kiwi MT/XSR seem to come with the evap canister and they can cause starting issues.

Do you know someone with an OBD and yammie plug?
    I ordered one online yesterday. $50 from Dick Smith and a yamaha connector from ali express (NZ$15). I can wait until they get here before I look at this issue again. Don't need to use the bike in the interim as I'm still WFH.

Will post up re what the scanner says when I get it.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOman View Post
    I ordered one online yesterday. $50 from Dick Smith and a yamaha connector from ali express (NZ$15). I can wait until they get here before I look at this issue again. Don't need to use the bike in the interim as I'm still WFH.

Will post up re what the scanner says when I get it.
    Where in the country are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    The ABS will/should go off once you exceed 5kph.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Bump that puppy 🐶
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2017 XSR900
    Update from me. Problem SOLVED....

My OBDII scanner turned up a week after I ordered it but it took a few weeks to get the Yamaha adapter cable out of China.

Hooked it up half an hour ago. As I expected 1 engine fault light.

P0638
    Throttle Actuator Control Range.

Did a quick Google and found others with the very similar symptoms as my re the battery dying and then having issues and some suggested my ECU could be fried

Anyway. I proceeded to attempted to clear the code. It wouldn't clear. As a rescan kept showing the same thing so I figured something must be preventing it clearing and went looking a bit further at electrical. Back in to the main fuse box. There is a 7.5A fuse labelled ETV (presumably electronic throttle). The fuse was blown. Don't know how I missed it the first time but even if I had picked it up straight away I wouldn't have been able to clear the code.

Replaced the fuse with a spare from the box and attempted to clear the code. It cleared this time

Took the bike outside and it started, albeit very sluggishly and its now idling over outside the window.

It took time to solve and only cost me $60 for a scanner and cable I now have for good.

Only downside is I haven't been able to ride for quite some time but the weather has been rubbish for weeks. Hopefully Sunday will see my first ride.

Thanks for everyones help.

Cheers

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Good skills. Good to hear ok. Pack a spare fuse.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOman View Post
    Update from me. Problem SOLVED....

My OBDII scanner turned up a week after I ordered it but it took a few weeks to get the Yamaha adapter cable out of China.

Hooked it up half an hour ago. As I expected 1 engine fault light.

P0638
    Throttle Actuator Control Range.

Did a quick Google and found others with the very similar symptoms as my re the battery dying and then having issues and some suggested my ECU could be fried

Anyway. I proceeded to attempted to clear the code. It wouldn't clear. As a rescan kept showing the same thing so I figured something must be preventing it clearing and went looking a bit further at electrical. Back in to the main fuse box. There is a 7.5A fuse labelled ETV (presumably electronic throttle). The fuse was blown. Don't know how I missed it the first time but even if I had picked it up straight away I wouldn't have been able to clear the code.

Replaced the fuse with a spare from the box and attempted to clear the code. It cleared this time

Took the bike outside and it started, albeit very sluggishly and its now idling over outside the window.

It took time to solve and only cost me $60 for a scanner and cable I now have for good.

Only downside is I haven't been able to ride for quite some time but the weather has been rubbish for weeks. Hopefully Sunday will see my first ride.

Thanks for everyones help.

Cheers
    I really like the fact that you persevered, sorted it out, and then posted. Thanks. I am going to order one of those cables for my Triumph I reckon.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    R100GSPD
    yes resolution good.Often you never find out what the problem was or how it resolved

Thread Information