Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riding with 'flip top' helmets up.

Bike
    suzuki

Riding with 'flip top' helmets up.

I see a few riders with flip top helmets riding with the chin peice up. when these first come out it was an absolute no-no as it was a great way to break ones neck if the protrusion got caught on the road in a crash, are there now brands out there where this is OK to do or are these riders being naughty?

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    IMHO naughty
    Some like to ride at slower speeds with it up.
    I have heard nightmare stories of open faced helmets where the chin meets the road.

I like to have it closed. Doing it before I ride off is the only way I can be sure that both locks on the chin section engage. Its also quieter, no KB web access though.

How many riders on the track wear open faced helmets?

Probably same reason flip up ones aren't allowed there as well, I could be wrong.

You should start a survey

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan
    Yeah i got a couple of flip top helmets. Quite like the feature. Bonus when stopping to have a yack, drink, fuel up n stuff.

Won’t ride above fifty with it open, just feels all sorts of wrong.

Ambling through town, will occasionally have it up, bit of a bonus when stinking hot too.

And before the safety hecklers start their rants....... yeah I know, i ain’t perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Some helmets hold dual homologation (P and J) for having the chin bar down or up, and the helmet is legal in either configuration. There was talk a while ago that if the helmet wasn't dual homologation then riding with it up was actually breaking the law (which technically is correct, as the helmet would not hold certification in that configuration). Not all flip front/modular helmets are dual homologation (I know the Nolan N104 and N100-5 are, as I've had/have both). You've also got stuff like the N44? I think, where the chin is removable, and the 70-X2 or something, that has a removable peak, chin bar and so on (and also dual P and J)

As for safety, I hold the dubious honour of high-siding the BMW in front of a cop (it was midst cycle race and I'd just been speaking to him while rolling up a hill in front of the leaders) at ~40kph, with chin bar up. Helmet hit the deck, I mostly wondered how the fuck it happened at such a low speed as I sat on the road, and yes, ultimately, you're less protected, but in that situation I was fine, and I threw away a 6 month old helmet (that hurt the most). The Nolans also have a lock out to keep it up, so it doesn't suddenly shut on you as well.

I particularly like the Nolan N104/100-5 because the flip is actually elliptical, as it goes up it tucks into the helmet, rather than a straight pivot, which in my mind would catch the wind far more. I do a fair bit with events, marathon, triathlon, ironman, cycling etc, so having the flip means easier communication on the move, particularly with athletes, but also generally moving around and interacting. With the Nolan, the sun visor is independent of the state of the chin bar, so I can have the chin up, visor down and keep some eye protection against bugs etc. Higher speeds if I'm moving between groups or re-positioning, I'll generally close the chin bar, otherwise you get a decent amount of wind burn over the course of a half/full day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Some helmets hold dual homologation (P and J) for having the chin bar down or up, and the helmet is legal in either configuration. .
    it's not about the safety of the lid to protect the head, it's having something six inches longer sticking out that can catch on things and twist a neck to breaking point????????

Bike
    motocompo
    Sounds like people need to attend some training.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Sounds like people need to attend some training.
    I hear the IAMS course is a good one.
    Lets go Brandon

Bike
    R1200GSA
    I ride with a Neotech, having used a Caberg and LS2 modular before.
    I really do not like riding with the chin bar up. I do not feel well protected.
    I will open it when stopped at lights or in a car park in hot weather.
    I always open it when stopping for fuel etc.

In Fox township a few years ago I was fuelling up and walked into the shop on the forecourt to pay. My chin bar was up. I whacked it into the door lintel and nearly took my head off, just walking. Hence my comments above. ( I am getting on for 2m tall so doorways are a daily risk for me, my scalp has a series of scars)

I do not like the sense of imbalance either. To me the Shark EVO design where the chinbar roates to the back of the helmet is the only one I would ride with the bar open. They do not fit my ugly head so its not ever going to be an issue.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    I have a Neotec and the thing I love most about it is the fact that I can simply flip the front open when I get to the security gate heading in and out of camp when they check IDs.

And yes I have ridden with the front flipped up. Normally around town and never above 30 Km/hr but they are a real godsend for security.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Some people should not have flip front helmets (or motorcycles, for that matter) https://www.facebook.com/franciscogu...9817423907970/
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    suzuki
    I bumped into Dave who used to be the head honcho of ridesafe nz in mitre ten today, asked him, they are legal to ride open to 50km hour. There's speculation that what contributed to Michael Schumachers injuries was a small go pro camera on his helmet, imagine some thing many times the size helping twist a neck

Bike
    moped
    I always ride chin part closed, if you want fresh air open yah visor. Picked I rider up once who had gone down with an open faced helmet, was'nt pretty.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    I hear the IAMS course is a good one.
    IAMS is a pet food brand, what the fuck has that got to do with bikes?

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    IAMS is a pet food brand, what the fuck has that got to do with bikes?
    It serves as bait when someone is using a line that they expect a response to...only to bore those in the know

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    It's flippin' useful while filling up with petrol, and for a breath of fresh air when stopped in traffic in the summer.

And yes I should be even more careful to flip down - and latch it properly - before moving off. Good call.

Thread Information