Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Caught on my ZX6R on my Learner's.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by DerOger1986 View Post
    You must be fun at parties.
    Pretty sure he is.

along with others puts in a great deal of time and effort helping people enjoy riding their bikes.
    i have a great admiration for people like him.
    great guy.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    You must be fun at parties.
    At least he'll be riding to those parties, instead of walking having lost his licence for various 'discretions'.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Hey all,

Not really a question as I fully understand the consequences of my actions, but I was pulled over last week riding past a cop on the motorway. They ran my plates and followed me as the bike came up as an "F" and I as an "L".

They were great about it and said they didn't really have a problem as I have been riding for five years but have been overseas for a period.

Anyone know the fine and demerits? They didn't write me up then and there but said they'll send something in the post. I'm probably going to continue to ride the bike to work and back as I don't see it as a big deal, but will they now be on the lookout for me?

Cheers.
    These days they don't hand tickets over at the roadside. They input your details, the details of your vehicle, and the details of the alleged offence into their cellphone, and a machine in Wellington posts the ticket out to you.

$100 and 35 demerits.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Demerits: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-lice...driver-licence
    I can only find a car restricted page that easily summarises demerit and fine together (https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-lice...nts-and-fines/) but looks like $100.

Do it again (well, and get caught) and you can expect heavier penalties, and they'll stack up. If you have insurance, you have to declare all fines etc. They can forbid you to drive, disqualify you, and if you drive/ride while disqualified, it's automatic impound of the vehicle.
    Car and bike licence breaches are $100 and 35 demerits.

L plate offences are $100 and 25 demerits.

Years ago they brought in a forbid for anyone breaching licence conditions. But it doesn't carry impoundment powers. The police rarely take this seriously, as it's toothless.

The forbid only lasts until the licence conditions are complied with. Like, rider is carrying a pillion, breaching their 6L. The cop forbids, but as soon as the pillion gets off, the forbid is lifted. Crazy, knee jerk, ineffective rule.

Still, it adds to the great tapestry of legislation of people thinking they have achieved something.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    At least he'll be riding to those parties, instead of walking having lost his licence for various 'discretions'.
    Or, been there, done that, stood in front of a judge and had a light bulb moment. I'm no angel, but have quite a errr... learning experience in what you should and shouldn't do... Tipping money into government coffers doesn't rank highly on my "must do" list...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Car and bike licence breaches are $100 and 35 demerits.

L plate offences are $100 and 25 demerits.
    What a joke of a punishment. In 1999 it cost me $600 for taking a pillion on a learners with no registration. It took me months to pay it off with my $8 per hour minimum wage. So much for inflation.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
    What a joke of a punishment. In 1999 it cost me $600 for taking a pillion on a learners with no registration. It took me months to pay it off with my $8 per hour minimum wage. So much for inflation.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    And did you learn a lesson or two from those wee indigestion?

And thank you for your kind donation....

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    What a joke of a punishment.
    Licence breaches used to cost $400 each. So many people just racked up debt so quickly it became obvious they weren't going to get paid. So it was reduced to $100 a few years ago.

It has social impact, fines that get out of hand. It's easy to ignore them, as in "Just put it on my tab officer" bravado, but when that person grows up and wants credit to do anything unpaid fines bite them in the butt.

The craziest fine imbalance today is $80 for cellphone use while driving. Hardly surprising its rampant.

One thing to remember though, is fines are a balancing act. You can make a fine a million bucks, but nobody would expect to have to pay it, so its toothless.

Australia has significant fines for cellphone use, but has that solved the problem? No. If the chance of getting caught is minimal, the fine means nothing.

Fines are a great topic for discussion, as there is no easy answer.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Get caught three times and you're walking for three months. Would you be laughing ??
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Get caught three times and you're walking for three months. Would you be laughing ??
    Three times in 24 months...

Coupled with the fact that most that are breaking the law seem to have neon signs on them saying pick me, as they break some other laws to get plod's attention
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Thread Information