Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Caught on my ZX6R on my Learner's.

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX6R 2014

Caught on my ZX6R on my Learner's.

Hey all,

Not really a question as I fully understand the consequences of my actions, but I was pulled over last week riding past a cop on the motorway. They ran my plates and followed me as the bike came up as an "F" and I as an "L".

They were great about it and said they didn't really have a problem as I have been riding for five years but have been overseas for a period.

Anyone know the fine and demerits? They didn't write me up then and there but said they'll send something in the post. I'm probably going to continue to ride the bike to work and back as I don't see it as a big deal, but will they now be on the lookout for me?

Cheers.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerOger1986 View Post
    Hey all,

Not really a question as I fully understand the consequences of my actions, but I was pulled over last week riding past a cop on the motorway. They ran my plates and followed me as the bike came up as an "F" and I as an "L".

They were great about it and said they didn't really have a problem as I have been riding for five years but have been overseas for a period.

Anyone know the fine and demerits? They didn't write me up then and there but said they'll send something in the post. I'm probably going to continue to ride the bike to work and back as I don't see it as a big deal, but will they now be on the lookout for me?

Cheers.
    Ah? Yeah! they will keep an eye out and don't forget it doesn't take many demerits to lose your licence these days.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    A fast one
    Hey all,

Cheers.
    The same cop(s) who pulled you over may certainly recognise you and pull you over again to check, but I doubt there's now a region wide alert for your make/model/colour of bike.

If you're caught again, there's 0 chance they'll let you off since you'd already been caught. Though it sounds like they didn't let you off this (first) time anyway.

Your bigger issue should be insurance - if you crash in to a Ferrari and write it off, will your insurer cover you? Probably not, since you weren't adhering to your license's conditions.

Not sure on a bike, but in a car it's a 35 demerits and a $100 fine for carrying a non-full license passenger while on a restricted license, which is somewhat comparable to your situation (in breach of license conditions).

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Hey all,

Cheers.
    Not riding or driving to the conditions of your motorcycle license in nz I think is $400 and 25 demerit points.

REMEMBER ... Your learner licence is only valid for five years. If you do not progress during the five year period, you will need to pass a theory test once your licence has expired ... before your learner licence can be issued for a further five years.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The End View Post
    The same cop(s) who pulled you over may certainly recognise you and pull you over again to check, but I doubt there's now a region wide alert for your make/model/colour of bike.

If you're caught again, there's 0 chance they'll let you off since you'd already been caught. Though it sounds like they didn't let you off this (first) time anyway.

Your bigger issue should be insurance - if you crash in to a Ferrari and write it off, will your insurer cover you? Probably not, since you weren't adhering to your license's conditions.

Not sure on a bike, but in a car it's a 35 demerits and a $100 fine for carrying a non-full license passenger while on a restricted license, which is somewhat comparable to your situation (in breach of license conditions).
    The random reg check got him the first time, the second time might require an appearance in court. With (up to) a $1000 fine.

Terms and conditions of insurance policies vary. He would need to read his own policy ... if he has one. If not ... he personally may be held liable for any damage he causes to anything he hits.

Bike
    suzuki
    Hey all,

Cheers.
    hows your insurance?. nowadays they log warnings against you, and it's all over the country in a split second.

Bike
    A fast one
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    The random reg check got him the first time, the second time might require an appearance in court. With (up to) a $1000 fine.

Terms and conditions of insurance policies vary. He would need to read his own policy ... if he has one. If not ... he personally may be held liable for any damage he causes to anything he hits.
    You raise a great point, let's all set up limited liability companies and let them "own" the motorcycle. That way when we write off a vintage Ferrari we're not personally liable...if only

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    You raise a great point, let's all set up limited liability companies and let them "own" the motorcycle. That way when we write off a vintage Ferrari we're not personally liable...if only
    might work ....

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Ah? Yeah! they will keep an eye out and don't forget it doesn't take many demerits to lose your licence these days.
    Still 100 demerits. BUT ... the increased amount of points "Awarded" for the various offenses ... has increased the speed of which the loss happens.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    google CBTA and get it done. cheaper than your next ticket!

Bike
    Gone

The insurer must prove behind all reasonable doubt that the fact that he had a L and not an F license was material to the accident. I.e. would the outcome have been somehow different if he had a LAMS bike?

I had someone absolutely destroy my bike (not at fault). Didn’t have the right license, nor was I insured but the at fault party was. They paid. Not willingly, but they paid.

Also, the average age of NZs passenger car fleet is 10 years (so mostly shitboxes). Since insurance is all about risk, as an exercise calculate the chances that you’ll crash. Out of those incidents, calculate the chances that you’re at fault. Out of those incidents, calculate the probability that you hit something that is in the top 5th percentile of call cars on the road. Sure you “might” hit a Ferrari but you “might” slip in the bathroom, hit your head on the toilet and die as well.

Just so we’re clear I’m not advocating reckless behaviour but facts are important.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Still 100 demerits. BUT ... the increased amount of points "Awarded" for the various offenses ... has increased the speed of which the loss happens.
    the thing that pisses me off about that is you get demerits for all sorts of bullshit that is not road safety related. It is very poor form and unsportsmanlike.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Some people learn by their mistakes..........

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Demerits: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-lice...driver-licence
    I can only find a car restricted page that easily summarises demerit and fine together (https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-lice...nts-and-fines/) but looks like $100.

Do it again (well, and get caught) and you can expect heavier penalties, and they'll stack up. If you have insurance, you have to declare all fines etc. They can forbid you to drive, disqualify you, and if you drive/ride while disqualified, it's automatic impound of the vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I can only find a car restricted page that easily summarises demerit and fine together (https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-lice...nts-and-fines/) but looks like $100.
    If he only has a learners license ... I think the "No L Plates Fitted" is an added charge as well.

Thread Information