Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannabis referendum.

Bike
    I Ride No More

Testing

Alcohol (ethanol) is “well-studied “, and its intoxicating effects are quite well known (i.e. predictable). Even so, there are variations in the “level of effect” upon individuals (due to factors such as rate of consumption; a person’s body mass; effect of food upon rate of absorption).

Based on what we know (from human studies about its rate of absorption and lab tests on effects of intoxication on motor skills), the legal authorities set “legal limits and penalties” (e.g . fines, confiscation, jail) for its use when driving.

Impairment tests are simply another mechanism for road-side Police to try and determine whether a driver (seen to be driving in an irregular manner) - and who does not "fail" a standard breath alcohol test - may still be "impaired" (by other drugs) in their execution of driving a vehicle. It may not be precise, but the goal is to remove such drivers off the road while they are in that state.

This “framework” may not be “perfect”, but they are accepted by the powers-that-be and most of the general population when out driving.

What businesses do - to protect their workers safety as well as their own livelihood – is up to them. Urine test regimes are often imposed as conditions of (ongoing) employment.

The assumption of many will be that cannabis (its “intoxicating” components) behave in a very similar manner to alcohol, and that it is easy and cheap to test for and quickly determine levels. And that such levels are easily related to a level of impairment.

And herein lies the challenge for the powers-that-be.

But I would imagine that when such “hurdles” have been overcome, you could expect to see a comparable framework being rolled out for cannabis (both for drivers on the open road and for workers within businesses). Including the physical impairment test.

My expectation would also be that certain prescription drugs will also come into purview as well.

Just saying.

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    And I would suggest that the only reason no amount of effort really seems to have gone into figuring out an adequate impairment test is that businesses have been quite happy to take advantage of the illegal status of cannabis and therefore take the easy option of simply testing for presence.
    Agreed...simple option to suppress the demon weed and the dropouts in society. Old fashioned thinking. I am not too bothered other than the hypocrisy in approach. If there was an impairment test that worked and implemented I would consider the odd spliff but I tend to go a bit doughy in the brain on it.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by skippa1 View Post
    If there was an impairment test that worked and implemented I would consider the odd spliff but I tend to go a bit doughy in the brain on it.
    As would I, in the mean time I can just take prescription drugs with no fear of persecution
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    I want to vote against it, because of the hypocrisy in not allowing me to enjoy the drugs I like to take.
    But it will be good for the country to get the tax from it.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I want to vote against it, because of the hypocrisy in not allowing me to enjoy the drugs I like to take.
    But it will be good for the country to get the tax from it.

...I'll just abstain...it's all just a game...it doesn't have wheels or a funny shaped ball... therefore, it can't be real...

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    The thing I am most interested in is how workplace drug testing will be managed, current testing is for the presence of only and in no way lets them know the level of impairment
    I don't think it'll make any difference but it will depend on how the employment agreement is worded. My previous and current job have zero tolerance for the presence of alcohol and drugs and that'll continue. If the employment agreement says employees cannot be 'impaired by the presence of' that'll be problematical.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...I'll just abstain...it's all just a game...it doesn't have wheels or a funny shaped ball... therefore, it can't be real...
    Typical kiwi response.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Typical kiwi response.
    ...I love you......

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...I love you......
    Sorry deary LaaVa bet you to it.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
    Last thing I want is coming toward me in the same machine with a driver 16m up in his cab making a mistake because he's stoned.
    If the vote passes it will still be illegal to operate that machinery while under the influence of cannabis.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    This referendum is non-binding anyway so it's a 100% chance it won't go through.
    There's only a 100% chance of it not going through if National win the election.

Good luck with that.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Really ? Thanks for that.
    Well how is your situation any different now?

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Really ? Thanks for that.
    Common sense is not your forte is it?

Bike
    GSXR1000
    I work at the Port . Last thing I want is someone coming toward me in the same machine with a driver 16m up in his cab making a mistake because he's stoned.
    How about if they're drunk?

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Stupid question. When was last time you went to work drunk ? Or, one of your workmates turned up drunk ?
    That is two stupid questions.

Thread Information