Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannabis referendum.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Wrong. I know plenty of smokers who don't want the laws changed.
    Out of curiosity - why? Granted I've not been involved with many people who are regular smokers these days, but when I was, they were all for Legalisation.

Interested to know if anyone who smokes marijuana is a 'dope-head' to you? Sure I know there are plenty of lazy stupid people who use weed. But on the flipside I can also name dozens of people I know personally who partake regularly yet are incredibly successful both financially and in their personal lives. People who live a normal life but yet like to relax with a smoke. Dope-head and other similar descriptions talk to me more about the person saying these things than those they are trying to put down. And yes these terms are put downs. I've been a smoker most of my adult life, as are a lot of my friends, it's funny to hear people tell me 'no you don't smoke dope' when they find out I do, just because I don't fit their naive perception of a 'typical pot-smoker'. Not that one actually exists.
    There's a couple of people I used to know who definitely fall into the 'Dope-Head' cliche:

Hyper-Talented Musicians that 'discovered' drugs and then their life priorities changes, Some of them are people who it was sad to watch, since they were very capable people who ended up preferring to get High.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    There's a couple of people I used to know who definitely fall into the 'Dope-Head' cliche:

Hyper-Talented Musicians that 'discovered' drugs and then their life priorities changes, Some of them are people who it was sad to watch, since they were very capable people who ended up preferring to get High.
    And for every 'dope-head' who has done nothing with their life, there is a cannabis user who has gone on to be successful in what they do.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    And for every 'dope-head' who has done nothing with their life there is a cannabis user who has gone on to be successful in what they do.
    I don't know what the ratio is, I've known of lawyers who said that having a good smoke every once in a while really helped them in their work, There's Joe Rogan of course.

Point was more that those types of people do exist and for me, personally, watching some of them go from mind-blowing musicians, to living in a shit-hole flat, on the benefit, worrying about how they are going to get their next Tinny - yeah, it was hard to watch and worse when you tried to help them....

Perhaps more poignantly, is that those people provoke for me a more visceral memory, than watching those who are successful and enjoy the occasional Smoke.

It's not that agree of FJRIders disparagement of an entire group of people - only that they do exist
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Out of curiosity - why? Granted I've not been involved with many people who are regular smokers these days, but when I was, they were all for Legalisation.
    Because they don't want governments stepping in an taxing the hell out of it or being involved in it in any form whatsoever. And these are not the 'off the grid' type of people.

And so do I. I also know of people that have destroyed their lives with alcohol. Some with excess fatty foods and lack of exercise. What is your point? These people were unable to regulate their consumption and paid the price. More fool them. Nothing to do with the substance. I like a beer at the end of the day. I don't drink to the point that I can't function as person, a father, a friend. I like to have a burger from time to time, but I don't stuff my face with them to the point I'm morbidly obese. Self control is a beautiful thing.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Point was more that those types of people do exist and for me, personally, watching some of them go from mind-blowing musicians, to living in a shit-hole flat, on the benefit, worrying about how they are going to get their next Tinny - yeah, it was hard to watch and worse when you tried to help them....
    And yet, after 40 years exposure to cannabis use, I don't personally know anyone that fits that bill.

That's not to say those people don't exist - I just don't know any.

And not everyone measures success by the size of their bank account.

Bike
    GSXR1000

It's not that agree of FJRIders disparagement of an entire group of people - only that they do exist
    And what? There are hospital wards full of beaten up people every weekend from excessive alcohol consumption. Families destroyed by alcohol. Lives ruined. Lives ended. But do we make wholesale generalisations about everyone who has a drink? So what if they exist? There are losers out there that don't drink, don't smoke marijuana, don't eat and exercise poorly. But lo behold if someone smokes weed they must be a 'dope-head'. It's (and I'm not pointing the finger at you) ignorant statements like this that means those that can choose to have a smoke and live a normal life keep themselves well under the radar for fear of persecution.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Because they don't want governments stepping in an taxing the hell out of it or being involved in it in any form whatsoever. And these are not the 'off the grid' type of people.
    That's actually very close to my own view of it.

But I'd like to be able to grow a couple of plants without nosey neighbours having the ability to dob me in to the police.

Bike
    Yo momma

The taxed herb sold here legally is stronger and cheaper than the mafia product and you don't have to deal with some cunt down a dark alley to get it.
    Lets go Brandon

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    But I'd like to be able to grow a couple of plants without nosey neighbours having the ability to dob me in to the police.
    That can be done here too. 7 plants per household I think.
    Lets go Brandon

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    The taxed herb sold here legally is stronger and cheaper than the mafia product and you don't have to deal with some cunt down a dark alley to get it.
    The weed I get is grown by a trusted friend who has spent thousands of dollars and hours of research developing. I can sit in the comfort of his home and discuss life while enjoying a sample of his hard work. I've never had to meet anyone down a dark alley to get weed. Painting it like you have done just reaffirms peoples belief that the whole industry is full of shady crims. It's not. Wise up.

Bike
    BSA A10
    The thing I am most interested in is how workplace drug testing will be managed, current testing is for the presence of only and in no way lets them know the level of impairment
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    I Ride No More
    Struggling a little to understand the logic of your comment.

If the referendum relates to recreational cannabis, then surely quantities per person / family growing their own are to be small, and taxation has not been mentioned as being applicable.

Are you perhaps mixing the prospect of growing cannabis for recreational / own use purposes, with the commercial growing of cannabis (implying regulation and taxation) ?

Cheers

Bike
    suzuki
    And what? There are hospital wards full of beaten up people every weekend from excessive alcohol consumption.
    when two people share a drink they start a fight, when two people sahre a joint they start a band....

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking01 View Post
    Are you perhaps mixing the prospect of growing cannabis for recreational / own use purposes, with the commercial growing of cannabis (implying regulation and taxation) ?
    Well it makes sense to mix the two - both will be implemented if the vote passes.

Personally, I'd have been quite happy to see cultivation for personal use made legal - while leaving the government's grubby little mitts right out of it. (Excuse the pun).

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking01 View Post
    Struggling a little to understand the logic of your comment.

If the referendum relates to recreational cannabis, then surely quantities per person / family growing their own are to be small, and taxation has not been mentioned as being applicable.

Cheers
    I'm not mixing anything, I'm simply stating that some people don't see more regulation from the government as a good thing. Have they fully thought out their position? Maybe not. But my response was to the assumption of FJRider that 100% of people who use it support the law changes. If you want my opinion, I don't care. Whether it's legal/decriminalised/whatever doesn't change the fact I'll still smoke it, and still catch up with my friend for supply.

Thread Information