Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannabis referendum.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex

Cannabis referendum.

Well we're now just over 2 months away from getting to vote on the subject so I figured it was timely that we had some open discussion on it.

Personally I don't feel that it will change usage habits overly much - it will just mean that those who partake are not breaking the law in doing so.

So here's an opportunity to express any doubts or fears that might exist and maybe get answers to some questions.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    On the Principle - 100% support it, long overdue IMO.

On the implementation - I've not seen any discussion about decriminalizing people:

For some people who's living is made by growing and selling Weed, their immediate network is comprised of Fellow Criminals - it seems foolish to me to expect them to suddenly become law-abiding citizens.

I'd like to see some plans/thought by the Government as to how we look at moving those people from their current state of existence outside of the law, to law abiding Tax Payers.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    On the implementation - I've not seen any discussion about decriminalizing people:

For some people who's living is made by growing and selling Weed, their immediate network is comprised of Fellow Criminals - it seems foolish to me to expect them to suddenly become law-abiding citizens.

I'd like to see some plans/thought by the Government as to how we look at moving those people from their current state of existence outside of the law, to law abiding Tax Payers.
    Some of those who grow the product in large quantities may well get to continue doing so in a legal manner.

I'd prefer to see people grow small amounts just for their personal use, but I also believe there will be a massive demand for supply to the medical profession as we get to know more about the therapeutic benefits of the product.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    On the Principle - 100% support it, long overdue IMO.

Some very good overseas models for this - Washington State, Oregon, Portugal

edit: I also agree with decriminalisation,/legalisation and taxation. People still drink alcohol and its known to be bad for you. People (stupid people) still smoke cigarettes. Stupid people vape. People want to get fucked up. Weed is objectively less harmful than most of those - let the gubblemunt get some revenue from it.

No, I don't use it but of course I've tried it.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    I Ride No More
    Just in case people think that we are comparing like-with-like, please do note several important distinctions between medicinal cannabis and that to be grown for recreational purposes (namely purity and composition).

Medicinal Cannabis
    In the case of medicinal cannabis, any products will need to be approved as a medicine, and therefore be subject to stringent conditions governing its production (e.g. the product must not contain solvents, heavy metals or pesticides).

It will likely contain only certain components typically found in raw cannabis oil. Some of the naturally occurring components (which have beneficial effects) will likely have been removed during the commercial purification process.

The medicinal product will have been produced to have a very low (effectively zero %) THC level, and focus more on CBD and naturally occurring turpenes etc.

The product to be sold must have a consistent known composition and concentration(s). In terms of ranges and maximum cut-off limits.

Production of a medical grade product will likely not be cheap, even when grown in bulk.

Recreational Cannabis
    None of the above will apply for the backyard grower who grows their own plants, and produces their own product for their own consumption.

[Edit]

The other point to make - and possibly the most important - is that the referendum is on recreational cannabis.

It is already legal to consume an approved medicinal cannabis product (subject to prescription for medicinal purposes).

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking01 View Post
    ...and focus more on GHB and naturally occurring turpenes etc.
    I suspect you mean CBD.

Bike
    I Ride No More
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I suspect you mean CBD.
    Thanks. Just re-read my post, and realised the error. Now corrected.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Here is the outline of the Cannabis Legalisation and Control Bill.

https://www.referendums.govt.nz/cann...BoC5oMQAvD_BwE

(And don't forget to check out the link at the bottom of the page for information on the End of Life Bill which will also be part of this Elections referendums.)

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    I'm moderately opposed. This based on my occasional involvement with the stuff for a few years about 30 years ago. I found that the results were inconsistant. Sometimes I got really fucked up and other times it was like ... mehh. If it were able to be produced in a commercial setting where results had to be consistent or at least measurable and reported (like alcohol content in booze) and there was no home grown because face it ... home grown will still be sold. ... then I'd probably be more comfortable with it being legal. I'll vote against but not by much ... and I won't lose sleep if it becomes legal as long as there are good guidelines around it.

There ya go Katman. I'm sure you wanted one negative guy for you to jump on and ridicule. Go for it!
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    There ya go Katman. I'm sure you wanted one negative guy for you to jump on and ridicule. Go for it!
    Then you assumed wrong.

It's a subject that we'll be voting on as adults very soon - so it probably deserves to be discussed like we're adults.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    But to address the issues you raised.....

I think consistency in the product is very much what the government will be aiming for if the legislation is voted in.

And I don't think that homegrown will be sold that much.

If consistency is what someone wants then they're likely to go where they can expect consistency.

Bike
    It's a subject that we'll be voting on as adults very soon - so it probably deserves to be discussed like we're adults.
    In KiwiBiker?

Bike
    I've not read the detail but does it indicate whether people growing ostensibly for home use then selling on what would be a black market would receive more of a punishment than now? Also would they also be charged with tax avoidance (evasion?)?

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    I've not read the detail but does it indicate whether people growing ostensibly for home use then selling on what would be a black market would receive more of a punishment than now? Also would they also be charged with tax avoidance (evasion?)?
    I think that question can best be answered by asking another question....

Why would people buy cannabis on the black market if they could buy it legally?

Bike
    I Ride No More
    I think that question can best be answered by asking another question....

Why would people buy cannabis on the black market if they could buy it legally?
    Several factors spring to mind:

1. Cost (black market product may be relatively cheaper if "tax free")

2. Local Availability (depends whether legal product may be purchased only from a "bricks and mortar" outlet). How many resellers will wish to establish premises ?

3. Variation in Product Content (depends upon variation in product potency e.g. THC, or in other non-THC components). Wide range of strains having varying THC and CBD %, as well as other components (such as GHB and turpenes).

Buyers may not be able to purchase a "product" meeting their particular wants from a local outlet (or even a web-based outlet, if that is permitted).

Thread Information