Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helmet cam / bike cam

Bike
    Honda CMX500 Rebel

Helmet cam / bike cam

Hi everybody,

First post from beginner rider... I am looking for advice on helmet cam or bike mounted cam.

Helmet mounted?
    Frame/bars mounted?
    Battery operated or hard wired?

Also any advice on quality makes?

Thanks in advance

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryM View Post
    Hi everybody,

First post from beginner rider... I am looking for advice on helmet cam or bike mounted cam.

Helmet mounted?
    Frame/bars mounted?
    Battery operated or hard wired?

Also any advice on quality makes?

Thanks in advance
    Michael Schumacher had one on his helmet

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    they also had one on the bed head in the movie 'Sista Fista'...

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Helmet mounts are a bit crap as you always look around and the video jumps about.

A chest mount with the camera at the correct angle is much better. I use GoPros for our MTB videos. A GoPro 5 and a GoPro 7

Both are Hero Blacks as they have a removable battery for a longer ride (ie you insert a spare)

The 7 has markedly improved video stabilisation

My videos are pretty average - all way too long LOL https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQU...P3Mk-os8QVKCRg

Bike
    Honda CMX500 Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    Thanks - I won't go for helmet mounted option then!

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryM View Post
    Thanks - I won't go for helmet mounted option then!
    Its not so bad if its side mounted and light.

It depends on what you want the video for. Note that if you are on a sports bike you will need an extender piece on a gopro to get it pointing forwards

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Make sure you scream " You almost killed me!" when a car pulls out 800m down the road.

Motomadness loves that shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX R 750 2011
    From experience I can say that the most interesting recordings are when the camera is fixed to the steering wheel. You get video on your helmet with big jumps...

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)
    I was looking at this camera from Jaycar, it's bar mounted and claims to be for motorcycles or scooters.

https://www.jaycar.co.nz/1296p-event...bikes/p/QV3870

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    For the various mounting options check out "Itchy Boots" on Youtube. If your clips are as good as hers you'll be famous.

The shots she takes with her helmet cam are generally steady as a rock. I was watching a series by a couple of English (Scouse?) guys one of whom had a helmet cam - and no idea how to use it. His violent gyrations made it feel I was going to be thrown out of my armchair.

Thought for a new rider, some track days ban cameras. People can be tempted by the camera to do a little extra. The little extra can result in a diet of hospital food.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    I have found my helmet cams to give me good feedback on what I can do better. Especially in traffic.

Bike
    Honda CMX500 Rebel
    I got a Sena Tube Prism Wifi. It's neat and small, has an app and can charge & record at the same time.

Seems good, I got the usb charger hooked up to battery so can also charge phone if needed

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Helmet cams are good for a FPV, letting you see close to what the rider was seeing. You can see how a good rider looks deep into the corner rather than straight ahead and most riders don't just jerk their heads around randomly. A chest cam can be a problem on some bikes because it is too much lower than the eye-view so a lot of view could be blocked by the bike.

I have a ProShot mount - https://motomox.co.nz/collections/pr...ra-mount-white that works really well, but I need a better camera with stabilisation to cut out the vibrations and jitter, I'm looking at getting a GoPro or an Insta360 to use instead of my sub-$50 Eken H9R.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    For the various mounting options check out "Itchy Boots" on Youtube. If your clips are as good as hers you'll be famous.

The shots she takes with her helmet cam are generally steady as a rock. I was watching a series by a couple of English (Scouse?) guys one of whom had a helmet cam - and no idea how to use it. His violent gyrations made it feel I was going to be thrown out of my armchair.

Thought for a new rider, some track days ban cameras. People can be tempted by the camera to do a little extra. The little extra can result in a diet of hospital food.
    I had a guy on a Bronze course a couple of years back who insisted on using a helmet cam while out on the course. He was a fairly new rider, and sold it to me as a crash prevention measure. I had no objection to him using it, and I still don't, free world, all that sort of thing.

Out on the ride it was immediately obvious that he was so busy chasing good footage that he was riding like a plonker. He even got unnecessarily close to a car at one stage, to make it look like it was their issue.

The bike I have had a dash cam fitted when I got it. It runs when the bike is running. I've never looked at the footage. Perhaps if it all goes wrong I might, but I don't give the camera a second thought. I think that might be the best way.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    I use mine occasionally for learning purposes - it's occasionally useful if something unexpected happens to review the incident and see if there were any warning signs that I missed.

Although, I mostly use it when I'm touring, on photo only mode to take snapshots on a timer.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Thread Information