Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Gloves.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    I bought a pair of 1tonne winter weight leather gloves at a good price. They were delivered the day after I ordered them.

Great value. Fit perfectly.

https://www.1tonne.co.nz/listings/gloves/104/

Flick them an email. You may be able to pop over for a gander.

Sounds like you had a good instructor with common sense.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    We have 2 pairs of these in the household 1 Tonne Razor. After 3 or 4 years they are still in good condition, no seam wear, and very comfortable. Great for summer riding.

I have yet to be disappointed with anything from 1 Tonne, that includes service.

Safety has not been tested, all the right bits are in the right places and fit is excellent, should imagine they will slide well.

Heat build up and broken fingers? What can you do?
    Manopausal.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Motocap is still fairly new, and doesn't have a big range of tested products…yet.

But what they do have is good buying advice.

MATERIAL
    Abrasion-resistant materials help riders avoid cuts, gravel rash and friction burns from contact with the road. They also protect against skin and muscle damage, as well as possible medical complications from infections.

The base of the palm is vulnerable to skin and muscle stripping when it contacts the road surface. Gloves should have multiple layers of protective material over the palm, rather than a single layer. Slider pads on the palm will also increase abrasion protection.

Webbing between the little finger and ring finger provides extra protection against twisting under your weight when your hand makes contact with the road in a fall.

MotoCAP tests clothing materials for abrasion resistance, allowing you to compare the performance of different gloves before purchasing.

IMPACT PROTECTORS
    Impact protectors, or body armour, help absorb and spread the impact of a direct blow. They can prevent soft tissue injuries and reduce the severity of fractures and joint damage.

Choose gloves with impact protectors for knuckles and wrists, which are likely to strike the ground or be dragged across the surface of the road in a crash.

Impact protectors need to remain securely in place to ensure they can protect you in a crash. Try the gloves on and check that the protectors fit your hands and remain securely positioned.

MotoCAP tests impact protectors for energy absorption and positioning.

STITCHING
    Seams that split or burst are a common way for motorcycle gear to fail. Concealed stitching is protected from the road surface in a slide, so look for two or three rows of stitching with at least one row concealed. You can feel the inside of the glove to check for the concealed row of stitching.

MotoCAP tests seams for burst strength.

ZIPS FASTENERS AND DECORATIONS
    Check that fasteners are on the inside of wrists, which prevent the gloves from being worn off or torn open in a crash.

Make sure that gloves are easy to put on and take off. Have someone try to pull the gloves off your hands after they are securely fastened. If they can be pulled off, they could come off in a crash, leaving you unprotected.

Avoid any unnecessary studs, staples or buckles that could penetrate the protective layer of the glove and injure your hands. Metal studs get hot when sliding across a road and can sear or penetrate your skin.

COMFORT
    To avoid fatigue and distraction, it is important to ensure that you will remain comfortable for the duration of your ride. Try the gloves on with the clothing you would normally wear while riding. Check that the gloves fit comfortably over your jacket sleeves while in the riding position. Remember that in wet weather you may prefer gloves that fit inside the sleeves.

Check that the gloves fit you well. If they are too tight, they can affect circulation, causing your hands to go numb or cold. If gloves are too big or bulky, they can affect your ability to use the controls on your bike.

Before buying, try on the gloves and make a fist to check that the material doesn’t bunch up or pinch your fingers. If possible, try them on while holding your motorcycle handlebars and check that you can use and feel the controls, clutch and brakes. Check that you can also open and close your helmet visor while wearing them.

COVERAGE
    Riding gear is most effective when your whole body is covered. Gloves should extend about 5cm above the wrist. To maximise protection, cover your whole body with a protective jacket, pants, boots and a helmet as well.

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    I generally only race so my gloves are more summer weight orientated. But I currently have 3 pairs of revits an a pair of Alpinestars.

I found I need to try them on to get a fit I like and also grab a handle bar. I scored a set fo new Dainese race gloves from my brother once where he bought them but never actually tried the handle bar grip and they were too tight across the back ofg his hand when he gripped propoerly. I swapped him at a race meeting so it was less of a pain on his hands and he fell off , destroying my much cheaper gloves....

Anyway, I've skated off a few times in the Revits and all good. The A Stars will be the same. The big thing look at the stitching quality and is the stitching protected. Next one is grab them and try and pull the seam apart. The shop guys don't like it but if the seams are goodm, it should be no bother eh!

The other thing I like is a longer cuff to get good overlap with leathers or jacket, a wrist tension strap and velcro cuff to keep tight.

I've seen some gloves with external stiching that is unprotected.....hmm, just need a bit of abrasion on the thread.....

Though the number of people I see with flash jacket, boots, helmet, bike etc and no gloves staggers me....

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    Though the number of people I see with flash jacket, boots, helmet, bike etc and no gloves staggers me....
    Funny that.

I'll happily ride without a helmet or in shorts, but never without eye-protection or gloves. It just feels wrong.

Personal preference I guess...
    =mjc=

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    I bought some cheap leather gloves from that chap south of Auckland on SH22 before my first track day back when. They fit well, didn't have great lever feel but did the job. I think I did a good 5 or 6 crashes on them and they protected my knuckles and skin fine. They were looking worse for wear so retired them to gardening duty and I got myself some of the kangaroo leather Orina ones, heaps of guys had them at the track so I thought I'd give them a hoon. First crash they wore right through and on to the knuckle of my little finger, still got the scar and can't use that finger as well on the guitar.

Could have just been a freak accident but it put me off some of the thinner style gloves big time, better to have em nice n thick when you come off lol.

Thread Information