Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: the clean two-stroke thread

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Arh, nicely side stepped, ethanol.
    Produced in NZ via geothermal and hydro electric, made from a waste product of the dairy industry, a carbon go round. We conveniently ignor deisel trucks picking up the milk or the farm fuel usage, ok��.

Neils, build one.

Im building my convictions, if for no other reason but to have something a little different out on the track and to show it can be done.

Next is to produce an Autogyro powered by an Opposed Piston Uniflow engine, with counter rotating props but deep intetmeshing like a Kmax helicopter rotor system. Compact and easy using the two joining idler gears.
    Out of phase crank forces taken up between the crank throws themselves with each crank assembly controlling an exhaust and and inlet piston. Gears just join the cranks, pistons fire together so forces loading and unloading on the crank and gear assembly are equal. 25 years ago Neils.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    Produced in NZ via geothermal and hydro electric, made from a waste product of the dairy industry, a carbon go round. We conveniently ignor deisel trucks picking up the milk or the farm fuel usage, ok��.

Neils, build one.

Im building my convictions, if for no other reason but to have something a little different out on the track and to show it can be done.

Next is to produce an Autogyro powered by an Opposed Piston Uniflow engine, with counter rotating props but deep intermeshing like a Kmax helicopter rotor system. Compact and easy using the two joining idler gears.
    Out of phase crank forces taken up between the crank throws themselves with each crank assembly controlling an exhaust and and inlet piston. Gears just join the cranks, pistons fire together so forces loading and unloading on the crank and gear assembly are equal. 25 years ago Neils.
    Guess that mostly makes sense, especially the use of Ethanol (in NZ anyway!) - but layout maybe not ideal for compactness in a motorcycle, ( but then the old Boxer BMW survived didn't it?) - but I guess you may have a few tricks up your sleeve in that area!
    No doubt your fuel injection system will make quite an improvement to earlier designs in this area! - especially good in the balance area! - cheapness of manufacture! (no head manufacture or sealing problems), waiting to see combustion chamber design, - also waiting to understand the scavenging part/exhaust design! ..... anyway keep going and it'll all unfold.
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    Vintage 2T
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    - but layout maybe not ideal for compactness in a motorcycle, ( but then the old Boxer BMW survived didn't it?) - but I guess you may have a few tricks up your sleeve in that area!
    Neil's prototype is being fitted in a YZ250 frame. A structure, by it's purpose, about as compact as possible for the task.

The prototype engine isn't really being optimised for the frame (or the frame for the engine).

This quick 'paint job' shows the gearbox housing reoriented slightly and the engine lowered to the frame rails.
    Plenty of room up top, he could easily extend the stroke(s) for 300-450cc if needed.

If the frame brace did interfere, the top crankcase could be cast with lugs to form a bolt-in brace.

For the ultimate in compactness, cast the steering head as part of the top case.

Cheers, Daryl.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Touch of Paint.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	250.1 KB 
ID:	347374  

Bike
    1991 MZ 301
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post

Neils, build one.
    Ethanol has 23 MJ energy per kg and petrol has 42.
    Apart from modelaircrafts and 5 minute man carrying stunts ethanol is not a good aircraft fuel.
    The rate of dead people from using amateur flying gear is high and I am amateur so no thank You.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by Pursang View Post
    Neils prototype is being fitted in a YZ250 frame. A structure, by it's purpose, about as compact as possible for the task.

The prototype engine isn't really being optimised for the frame (or the frame for the engine).

This quick 'paint job' shows the gearbox housing reoriented slightly and the engine lowered to the frame rails.
    Plenty of room up top, he could easily extend the stroke(s) for 300-450cc if needed.

If the frame brace did interfere, the top crankcase could be cast with lugs to form a bolt-in brace.

For the ultimate in compactness, cast the steering head as part of the top case.

Cheers, Daryl.
    Daryl, yes this uniflow setup Im building is just got to be good enough to run and test. If I got to build another one the long engine would lay down with the gearbox wrapped around it.
    One issue I do have is I dont want to cut this frame at all, its not mine and may ultimately need to go back to being a 250F again.
    Yes the engine is long and more difficult to house but do remember for a given cc the two cranks are smaller and no need for an added balance shaft. Also no head, so some size advantages.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by Niels Abildgaard View Post
    Ethanol has 23 MJ energy per kg and petrol has 42.
    Apart from modelaircrafts and 5 minute man carrying stunts ethanol is not a good aircraft fuel.
    The rate of dead people from using amateur flying gear is high and I am amateur so no thank You.

https://youtu.be/96XnJh98LqQ
    Neils, you better tell this guy he shouldn't be flying then.

Neils, you could just gound test your engine, you dont have to fly it, get stuck in and build it.

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Have a look at this, a 4 stroke plane engine

https://www.bydanjohnson.com/welcome...-replaces-hks/

The OP with 2 props would be a lot nicer.

interesting that there is no emission regulation for planes in terms of lead....
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    Have a look at this, a 4 stroke plane engine

https://www.bydanjohnson.com/welcome...-replaces-hks/

The OP with 2 props would be a lot nicer.

interesting that there is no emission regulation for planes in terms of lead....
    I dont much like the crappy belt drive.

All old aviation engines still need lead, even if it is now what they call low lead. Best would be to just get rid of all those old crappy direct air cooled dinosaurs aviation engines. Imagine the law suites.

Bike
    Daelim besbi 2008
    This can be considered a Ryger from the past?.
    The crankcase is insulated
    I think the pump performance is even more effective

https://patents.google.com/patent/US...+stroke+engine

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Saw that one many years ago, and was quite impressed at the time, even though it was done in 1908!
    The last name is a bit suspicious though! .... "De Lostalot"! ?
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Saw that one many years ago, and was quite impressed at the time, even though it was done in 1908!
    The last name is a bit suspicious though! .... "De Lostalot"! ?
    Impoverished French nobility, no doubt .

Bike
    honda ns 400
    Another similar solution, but with "plate valve" intake.

Name:	20201001_113309.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	660.3 KB 
ID:	347415  

Bike
    Daelim besbi 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by katinas View Post
    What has more friction, plate valve or a rotary valve?

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by katinas View Post
    You know, I really don't think we have evolved much since those days (in the IC world) - there were so many very good ideas which were dismissed as being ridiculous!
    BTW, I would like to see that mystery "X" engine, (part of which is just showing, next to the pic of the plate valve).
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    honda ns 400
    "X" engine is Davi concept from sixties for Pontiac. In second photo Reid 598 cc 31kw 5000rpm.

Ceci, downside of "plate on rod concept", apart of additional moving parts, is that this not eliminated the oil for main piston. With Ryger, just very small amount of oil is needed, as there is no forced contact between main piston and cylinder.

Name:	Pontiac Davi.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	919.9 KB 
ID:	347426   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reid 598 cc 31kw.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	839.6 KB 
ID:	347427  

Thread Information