Thread: register/re vin a classic

Bike
    1982 Yamaha XS400RK

register/re vin a classic

Hopefully someone on here can help me out, iv recently acquired an old 1982 XS400RK for a steal and am looking to get it back on the road. the only problem is that its an old farm bike and the guy I got it off has no history on it. no plates, no knowledge on previous registered owner etc. I'm going to the police tomorrow to see if it's on the hot list (hopefully not)

so I'm wondering if anyone has been able to register/revin an old bike with no history.

also worth mentioning that iv gone to a couple compliance workshops with the chassis number but they're not being much help.

Bike
    Old Bikes
    https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt....ntent/alt-docs

Form CA03 and supporting docs.

I’d be getting those supporting docs together before I put too much money into it.

Is it a NZ bike or a grey import?

Has it ever been rego’d in NZ?

Is it original spec or does it have a brown seat, cut down frame with pipe wrap on the headers?

Proof of ownership, proof of entry into NZ ( ex the manufacturer or importer usually) and proof that it complies with applicable standards for a road going XS. Absent any of the above you will need to explain. Your declaration is the explanation as to what enquires have been done, what standards other bikes had to meet back then etc etc.

Photos of old and comparative “new” bikes, shop manuals and a friendly inspector all help.
    Ginge

Bike
    speed triple

Best of luck with that

VTNZ at even the best of times are hard work. I've been there a couple of times. My advice to not to spend a cent until you have a vin plate.
    You need a pretty comprehensive history of the bike and some supporting information. Unless you have the import documents for it or a plate number its a tough road.
    I have a bike that I jumped through all the flaming hoops to get a vin plate for, built the bike and I'm still having trouble getting a registration because VTNZ didn't update their database during the vin process..
    Does anyone know if VTNZ will research a chassis number? I'm trying to trace the history of an old bike myself at the moment

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by lozz900 View Post
    VTNZ at even the best of times are hard work. I've been there a couple of times. My advice to not to spend a cent until you have a vin plate.
    You need a pretty comprehensive history of the bike and some supporting information. Unless you have the import documents for it or a plate number its a tough road.
    I have a bike that I jumped through all the flaming hoops to get a vin plate for, built the bike and I'm still having trouble getting a registration because VTNZ didn't update their database during the vin process..
    Does anyone know if VTNZ will research a chassis number? I'm trying to trace the history of an old bike myself at the moment
    Folk have got old bikes on the road with just the frame and engine no.and an old WoF. WoFs back then were usually taped under the seat or a side cover.

Some times in a plastic holder behind the number or taped to it. Usually the old plate was taken off bike if it had been of the road for a long time and hang up in the shed or man cave or just biffed.

Bike
    speed triple
    That would be correct, the plate number is on the WOF.. It all goes pear shaped when you can't yourself prove that its ever been registered in nz
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Folk have got old bikes on the road with just the frame and engine no.and an old WoF. WoFs back then were usually taped under the seat or a side cover.

Some times in a plastic holder behind the number or taped to it. Usually the old plate was taken off bike if it had been of the road for a long time and hang up in the shed or man cave or just biffed.

Bike
    Old Bikes
    PM on it’s way.
    Ginge

Bike
    2016 Honda ST1300,86/87 XJ900F,
    Unusual choice of farm bike ! Perhaps getting it for a steal is some sort of clue about its history

Bike
    Suzuki Minitan (OM50) 1978

Same situation

Having similar issues to you, would love to hear how it goes

Bike
    1983 Yamaha XJ750E

1982 xj750E

Gidday. My bike becomes a classic next year. Anyone have any idea of rego costs? Currently reg and wof. Cheers.

Bike
    2016 Honda ST1300,86/87 XJ900F,
    Rego is around $50 a Year

Wof stiĺl every 6 months

Sent from my SM-J250G using Tapatalk

Bike
    1983 Yamaha XJ750E
    Quote Originally Posted by biggo View Post
    Rego is around $50 a Year

Wof stiĺl every 6 months

Sent from my SM-J250G using Tapatalk
    Thanks for that.