Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm struggling to get up to speed

Bike
    Suzuki GN125H 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Speed in NZ is really easy to understand. You can go as fast as you like, as long as you don't go faster than the number on the signs.

And you can go as slow as you like, as long as you don't hold anyone up.

So, if you are on a road where there isn't anyone else, you can do 40 in a 50, no worries. If you start to hold traffic up, just let them pass, and resume what you were doing.

A colleague was having similar issues last weekend. We put one bike ahead of him and one behind, and popped onto the motorway, which wasn't too busy at the time. I sat behind, as I don't care how close people get behind me. I Just wanted to give him space to let the speed increase.

As it turned out, he was happy at 80, never having gone over 50 before.

It's just a learning experience. Don't stress, we all had to learn at some stage. None of us were born with the knowledge.

You'll be fine. Nothing teaches like experience. And Ride Forever courses.

Thank you for the advice!

I have looked into Ride Forever courses and am keen to take part in a few.

Bike
    Suzuki GN125H 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    What is it you are struggling with specifically?

Getting to that speed?

The GN125 isn't known for being the speediest bike out there and requires a bit of wrist and good usage of gears on the open road.

Your perception of the Speed?

As others have said - work your way up to it, find time and space with no traffic and get used to moving at speed.

The feeling of the Bike at that speed?

The GN125 is quite light and my memory of riding one was that bumps/wind etc. effected it way more than other bikes I've ridden. That being said, they are very stable for what they are, so I'd hazard a guess that your inexperience is causing you to hold onto the handlebars too tightly and you as a result - you are giving the bike steering inputs that you didn't intend - try relaxing your grip on the bars.

Maintaining the speed through the hills?

It's a GN125 - not a lot I can do here - once you get over 400cc though, that problem tends to go away.

Maintaining the speed through the corners?

You don't need to be Valentino or attempting to get your knee down in order to maintain a good flow through a corner (and for the record - please don't try that) - however good speed maintenance through a corner can do wonders. The basic Mantra being "Brake, Look, Lean, Roll" -

Brake if you need to.
    Look through the corner.
    Lean the bike over.
    Roll on the throttle.

The last bit is key, a gradual, smooth application of a little bit of wrist will do wonders for the feeling mid-corner. I've seen a lot of learners roll off the throttle mid-corner (either bad habit, fear or other) and what this does is transfers the weight of the bike all onto the front wheel (which is what controls your lean angle) - consequently, every little bump in the road will be trying to change the lean and the direction of the bike - leading to a very unstable feeling in the corner. Whereas putting in a little bit of throttle, this transfers the weight of the bike to the rear tyre (which is actually what turns the bike through the corner) making the bike glide through the corner without that feeling of instability.

General Confidence?

Ride more - attend a Ride Forever course, read more, watch more (There's an excellent resource: A Twist of the Wrist - available in Print or in full on the Youtubes, not to mention a myriad of content aimed at the beginner rider or correcting common novice riding mistakes.)

Thank you for the awesome response!

I have gotten the GN125 up to 100ks briefly but it was freaky.
    I can get to higher speeds now that I have ridden more and given it a go but the feeling of being at higher speeds and the sensitivity of the bike freaks me out. I'm working my way gradually up to open road speed. I must work on using my gears better!

Your advice on cornering is amazing and makes so much sense!
    Maintaining speed in the corners is a bit daunting as is leaning. I can't wait to give it a go and keep practicing.

I will attend a Ride Forever course and am looking forward to it.

So much to take note of!
    Again thank you for the great advice.

Cheers,
    Paesli

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PaesliSkye View Post
    Maintaining speed in the corners is a bit daunting as is leaning. I can't wait to give it a go and keep practicing.

I will attend a Ride Forever course and am looking forward to it.
    Slowing by going into corners with (even with GN125 limit of) engine braking (just throttling off) ... ie: slowing does not always mean braking ... and then powering out ... will keep some extra degree of tyre pressure /resistance on the road surface during both entry and exit. You will feel you have a little more in control over the motorcycle.

Confidence and experience will teach you lean angles. It will come ... be patient ... and time on the road will help you with both of those.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Old Bikes
    Go and find an industrial area on a Sunday and have a play with slow speed stuff as well. U turns and slalom games. See how slow you can go without dropping a foot down ( ride the rear brake and keep the revs up)

Industrial precincts on a Sunday are quiet, have big turnaround areas and no one will see if you stuff up.

Also Ride Forever courses.
    Ginge

Thread Information