Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm struggling to get up to speed

Bike
    Suzuki GN125H 2015

I'm struggling to get up to speed

Hi all,

I am on a GN125, it took me three rides to get comfortable going 50 in town with traffic so the open road is super intimidating and I'm struggling to get over 75 in a 100 zone. HELP!

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by PaesliSkye View Post
    Hi all,

I am on a GN125, it took me three rides to get comfortable going 50 in town with traffic so the open road is super intimidating and I'm struggling to get over 75 in a 100 zone. HELP!
    Pick the quietest sections of open road you can find and just take it gradually.

Don't stress about it.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Will a GN125 go over 75? (serious question, not taking the piss)
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    The big fear of a learner rider on their first bike ... is (usually) giving it too much throttle. The red line on the tachometer is there for a reason.

Keep the rev's up closer to that red line as you go through the gears ... the higher the rev's ... the more power the engine develops ... and the faster you go.

Canterbury is renown for its nor-westers ... and can affect the speed and handling of a little 125 quite severely. Even in the city limits. Pick the more sheltered routes wherever you go. Side winds are worse. They throw you all over the road.

I think it will be more a confidence thing ... so keep on riding ... and try to keep the rev's up.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    The big fear of a learner rider on their first bike ... is (usually) giving it too much throttle. The red line on the tachometer is there for a reason.

Keep the rev's up closer to that red line as you go through the gears ... the higher the rev's ... the more power the engine develops ... and the faster you go.

Canterbury is renown for its nor-westers ... and can affect the speed and handling of a little 125 quite severely. Even in the city limits. Pick the more sheltered routes wherever you go. Side winds are worse. They throw you all over the road.

I think it will be more a confidence thing ... so keep on riding ... and try to keep the rev's up.
    Good advice, and it works.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I remember learning to ride and thinking 40kph in this 50 zone in the suburbs is perfectly fine, don't know why anyone would want to go any faster.
    Yeup, you get more comfortable as you get more km under your belt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Speed in NZ is really easy to understand. You can go as fast as you like, as long as you don't go faster than the number on the signs.

And you can go as slow as you like, as long as you don't hold anyone up.

So, if you are on a road where there isn't anyone else, you can do 40 in a 50, no worries. If you start to hold traffic up, just let them pass, and resume what you were doing.

A colleague was having similar issues last weekend. We put one bike ahead of him and one behind, and popped onto the motorway, which wasn't too busy at the time. I sat behind, as I don't care how close people get behind me. I Just wanted to give him space to let the speed increase.

As it turned out, he was happy at 80, never having gone over 50 before.

It's just a learning experience. Don't stress, we all had to learn at some stage. None of us were born with the knowledge.

You'll be fine. Nothing teaches like experience. And Ride Forever courses.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    What is it you are struggling with specifically?

Getting to that speed?

The GN125 isn't known for being the speediest bike out there and requires a bit of wrist and good usage of gears on the open road.

Your perception of the Speed?

As others have said - work your way up to it, find time and space with no traffic and get used to moving at speed.

The feeling of the Bike at that speed?

The GN125 is quite light and my memory of riding one was that bumps/wind etc. effected it way more than other bikes I've ridden. That being said, they are very stable for what they are, so I'd hazard a guess that your inexperience is causing you to hold onto the handlebars too tightly and you as a result - you are giving the bike steering inputs that you didn't intend - try relaxing your grip on the bars.

Maintaining the speed through the hills?

It's a GN125 - not a lot I can do here - once you get over 400cc though, that problem tends to go away.

Maintaining the speed through the corners?

You don't need to be Valentino or attempting to get your knee down in order to maintain a good flow through a corner (and for the record - please don't try that) - however good speed maintenance through a corner can do wonders. The basic Mantra being "Brake, Look, Lean, Roll" -

Brake if you need to.
    Look through the corner.
    Lean the bike over.
    Roll on the throttle.

The last bit is key, a gradual, smooth application of a little bit of wrist will do wonders for the feeling mid-corner. I've seen a lot of learners roll off the throttle mid-corner (either bad habit, fear or other) and what this does is transfers the weight of the bike all onto the front wheel (which is what controls your lean angle) - consequently, every little bump in the road will be trying to change the lean and the direction of the bike - leading to a very unstable feeling in the corner. Whereas putting in a little bit of throttle, this transfers the weight of the bike to the rear tyre (which is actually what turns the bike through the corner) making the bike glide through the corner without that feeling of instability.

General Confidence?

Ride more - attend a Ride Forever course, read more, watch more (There's an excellent resource: A Twist of the Wrist - available in Print or in full on the Youtubes, not to mention a myriad of content aimed at the beginner rider or correcting common novice riding mistakes.)
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Has anyone ever ridden a GN125 on here over 75kmph? I know the 250 doesn't feel too comfortable at 100 so I'd say the 125 will struggle especially if you're a bigger rider.

Some great advice above, in particular the perception of speed, if you feel you're going too fast make sure you're looking ahead and not straight down at the road as that wont help.
    Most of all take your time getting comfortable and focus on learning low speed handling too. The high speed stuff will come with time and experience.

Oh and do a ride forever course, ASAP.

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    how much do you weigh?. Notice on smaller bikes the bigger you are the slower they go. Especially on inclines.

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Replace the handle bars as you'll be having more resistance than a lower lower set.You will save your back as well and have more control of the bike. As FJRider said use the revs, change gear at 4500-5000rpm.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    From memory you have long straight roads around there. Ideal for building confidence initially. Just don't arrive at a corner too fast. Once you gain the necessary confidence it's not too far to the inland scenic route south and other more interesting roads.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Autech View Post
    Has anyone ever ridden a GN125 on here over 75kmph? I know the 250 doesn't feel too comfortable at 100 so I'd say the 125 will struggle especially if you're a bigger rider.

Some great advice above, in particular the perception of speed, if you feel you're going too fast make sure you're looking ahead and not straight down at the road as that wont help.
    Most of all take your time getting comfortable and focus on learning low speed handling too. The high speed stuff will come with time and experience.

Oh and do a ride forever course, ASAP.
    Did the restricted licence test for a young lady riding a GN125 and the highest speed she achieved was about 90. That was slightly downhill though...and she'd barely weigh 50 kg in her riding gear.

Had a GN250 many moons ago and it would struggle to crack 120 so can only guess how the 125 would feel now

Bike
    Suzuki GN125H 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Will a GN125 go over 75? (serious question, not taking the piss)
    Hahaha all good! She sure does, I can sit at 95 relatively comfortable.

Bike
    Suzuki GN125H 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post

Thank you for the reply,
    I have ridden more and getting my confidence up has definitely improved my speed!

Thread Information