Thread: Hi everyone...

Bike
    None (yet)

Smile Hi everyone...

Another old(er) noob here...

I'm about to approach MLC territory so decided it's time to get back on two wheels (a little trail riding as a teen and some time selling scooters across the ditch 15yrs ago) so finally got my learner licence a coupla weeks back.

Currently overloading on YT reviews and TM ads deciding what to get.

Given it's my first bike and I'm likely to drop it and/or bin it within a year or two I'm going to start small and build the skills and confidence from there. It's purely a fun self indulgence; not a sole mode of transport or commuter... just something to get outside when the mood (and Wellyfornia's weather) allows. Unfortunately for me there's bugger all choice if you want something with an upright riding position under the $4-5k mark. But I'm in no rush.

Anyway - that's it from me; thanks in advance for the advice... the best learning comes from those who've tread the same path

Cheers
    Smithy

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Welcome to the funny farm Smithy, do take your time, ride a few, get comfortable on them, mostly keep your eyesa and ears wide open and enjoy the ride. it'll all come to you.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    R100GSPD
    upright riding position is found on dual purpose bikes,which obviously mean you can ride not so perfect roads .Downside is not so comfortable ride,limited tyre choice and moderate power,and probably ia limited range compared to a comparable road bike.Once you get a bike do some training

Bike
    None (yet)
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    upright riding position is found on dual purpose bikes,which obviously mean you can ride not so perfect roads .Downside is not so comfortable ride,limited tyre choice and moderate power,and probably ia limited range compared to a comparable road bike.Once you get a bike do some training
    My little legs are causing me to lean towards (no pun intended) something low to start with; maybe a 250 cruiser or similar... at least for the first year or so whilst I get some experience under my belt and build confidence. Will do the Ride Forever course(s) also as I'm pretty keen to develop good habits at the beginning - and eliminate those remaining from scooter blasting in Brisbane (sorry; testing, demoing, and delivering).

It depends whats available when I buy which is probably a month or two away

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by SmithyInWelly View Post
    My little legs are causing me to lean towards (no pun intended) something low to start with; maybe a 250 cruiser or similar... at least for the first year or so whilst I get some experience under my belt and build confidence. Will do the Ride Forever course(s) also as I'm pretty keen to develop good habits at the beginning - and eliminate those remaining from scooter blasting in Brisbane (sorry; testing, demoing, and delivering).

The Yamaha Scorpios are nice wee bikes. Scoot along at 100kph no worries as well as being light and nimble You can modify the riding position on any m/c by just lowering and narrowing the bars a bit. I find a 10-15 degree forward lean ideal I've found.. Pegs can also be raised lowered to suite if one desires.

Take you time. Find a tolerant riding buddy if you can. And the main thing have a bit of fun while riding.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SmithyInWelly View Post

Something like this would suit your needs. This is in Auckland. A "road trip" back will be a quick way to get a bit of experience, if you took two days to get back ... the scenic route down some "Off highway one" roads could be just what you need.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/m...ing/2636326523
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    A useful website: cycle-ergo

Allows you to put in your details - height, inseam and other stuff to see how you would "fit" a bike, before you go off to look at something only to find it's totally inappropriate...

Also, this could be a nice choice of bike: 1994 Honda Transalp 400 LAMs

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/m...5?bof=bTqGzirx

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    A useful website: cycle-ergo

Allows you to put in your details - height, inseam and other stuff to see how you would "fit" a bike, before you go off to look at something only to find it's totally inappropriate...

Also, this could be a nice choice of bike: 1994 Honda Transalp 400 LAMs

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/m...5?bof=bTqGzirx
    You need long legs to get on one of those young one. OPs better off with something without a radiator to get started on.

Bike
    None (yet)
    Great tips thanks everyone!

I'm going to check out a couple of stores on the weekend so I'll see how I go. Went to one yesterday and found a G310R a bit too tall, or my pins a bit too short (I'm sure I'd get used to it quick enough), but sat on a CMX500 and a Cliche Street 500 and the Honda in particular felt fantastic.

Having said that - I don't want to spend anywhere near those kinds of $$$$ on my first bike (more likely my second), plus I need to get the all the gear too - and I'm not going to compromise there. Something like the Scorpio looks a good shout - just keeping an eye on Tard Me for something a little closer to home I can sit on before handing over the cash.

Couple of other brief considerations: I'm assuming a scooter (125-400cc) is a bad idea re licensing? (ascooter would actually suit what I want in the short-medium term)... and I'm also assuming a Keeway cafe racer is an even worse idea?

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    To be fair, you can't really go wrong with any of the LAMS bikes from any of the major manufacturers, so it's probably mostly a case of deciding what type of bike you're looking for and then going and sitting on some bikes/taking them for a ride and seeing what is most comfortable for you.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18KLE300C_44SRD1DLS2CG_A-845x684.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	346508

https://kawasaki.co.nz/road/touring/versys-x-300/

I'd be looking at one of these if I was in the market, so far I haven't seen many coming up used - either those who have bought them are pretty happy or they haven't sold many. More upright than my own bike according to cycle-ergo.

Throw some crash bars on, could be happy with it for a few years.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Thread Information