GSX-S1000GT/DR 650

MV Agusta Turismo Veloce Lusso

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TVL Screen.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	856.3 KB 
ID:	346530

Good Day one and all

I've recently managed to secure myself a new MV Turismo Veloce Lusso - Yes I do have eclectic tastes in bikes but it wouldn't do to be the same as everyone else I reckon

So - Thoughts thus far:

Engine and Gearbox

Ruddy great engine - This is 'Only' the 110 Bhp version of the 800 triple but it's got plenty of mid range grunt which is ideal for real roads. It sounds lovely and still has some of that visceral appeal that MVs are so good at. The gearbox has an up-down quickshifter which is a bit of a mixed bag. Upshifts are fine (I always only use the quickshifter after 5-10 minutes of running so that the oil has time to warm up a little) but the downshifts aren't as slick as they could be. I'm still using the clutch for down shifts as mechanical sympathy doesn't allow me to give the gearlever the stomp it needs to go down the box.

Looks

I think that it's a fabulous looking machine. Some may disagree and I hope that's the case as the day MV start making bikes that everyone likes will be a sad day indeed.

Chassis and brakes

This is where things become more interesting/hard to decide upon. The brakes bit is easy - They are Brembo and they work as you'd expect. The suspension is an electronically adjustable semi-active system which, I'll be honest, is taking some getting used to. There's plenty of choice with regards to the settings. In fact I'd argue that there may be too much choice but I think that I'm slowly getting the hang of it. You can feel the semi-active technowhizzbangery doing its thing over the smaller lumps and trying to be supple which brings with it a slightly odd pitching-type motion. It's not unpleasant, just not quite what you were expecting. However trying to find a set-up that suits me and my riding is taking a while. It's all part of the fun I guess though I do find the front end feel isn't quite as precise as other bikes so it's a game of trusting the front end to do what you want it to.

Overall

I really like MVs. They aren't perfect and they take some getting used to but they represent a lot of what I like about bikes and biking. The TVL takes a lot of the good MV qualities (Visceral engine and unique styling) and matches those with good luggage, a comfy riding position and real world-friendly ergonomics. If you're ever curious I'd suggest taking one for a ride. You might like it more than you thought you would.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Cool. Yes, I agree. Being different is what motorcycling is all about .

Bike
    ES XTZ
    More pics please

Bike
    GSXR1000
    You had me at single sided swingarm.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650

Name:	IMG_0090 (1).jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	910.4 KB 
ID:	346571

There we go - Taken overlooking Oyster Bay and Cloudy Bay (In the background) this last weekend. Sunny Marlborough at its best.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    They are beautiful Italian models. Congrats.

You need to pay more attention when cleaning it though, there appears to be a clump of grass growing underneath the seat and the underside of the rear wheel arc/mudguard?
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    They are beautiful Italian models. Congrats.

You need to pay more attention when cleaning it though, there appears to be a clump of grass growing underneath the seat and the underside of the rear wheel arc/mudguard?
    You funny guy!

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    New bikes are worth working for.
    Houses aren't. MHO

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    New bikes are worth working for.
    Houses aren't. MHO
    New bikes devalue $1000s as soon as you sign the paperwork.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post

Name:	TVL Screen.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	856.3 KB 
ID:	346530

Good Day one and all

I've recently managed to secure myself a new MV Turismo Veloce Lusso - Yes I do have eclectic tastes in bikes but it wouldn't do to be the same as everyone else I reckon

So - Thoughts thus far:

Engine and Gearbox

Ruddy great engine - This is 'Only' the 110 Bhp version of the 800 triple but it's got plenty of mid range grunt which is ideal for real roads. It sounds lovely and still has some of that visceral appeal that MVs are so good at. The gearbox has an up-down quickshifter which is a bit of a mixed bag. Upshifts are fine (I always only use the quickshifter after 5-10 minutes of running so that the oil has time to warm up a little) but the downshifts aren't as slick as they could be. I'm still using the clutch for down shifts as mechanical sympathy doesn't allow me to give the gearlever the stomp it needs to go down the box.

Looks

I think that it's a fabulous looking machine. Some may disagree and I hope that's the case as the day MV start making bikes that everyone likes will be a sad day indeed.

Chassis and brakes

This is where things become more interesting/hard to decide upon. The brakes bit is easy - They are Brembo and they work as you'd expect. The suspension is an electronically adjustable semi-active system which, I'll be honest, is taking some getting used to. There's plenty of choice with regards to the settings. In fact I'd argue that there may be too much choice but I think that I'm slowly getting the hang of it. You can feel the semi-active technowhizzbangery doing its thing over the smaller lumps and trying to be supple which brings with it a slightly odd pitching-type motion. It's not unpleasant, just not quite what you were expecting. However trying to find a set-up that suits me and my riding is taking a while. It's all part of the fun I guess though I do find the front end feel isn't quite as precise as other bikes so it's a game of trusting the front end to do what you want it to.

Overall

I really like MVs. They aren't perfect and they take some getting used to but they represent a lot of what I like about bikes and biking. The TVL takes a lot of the good MV qualities (Visceral engine and unique styling) and matches those with good luggage, a comfy riding position and real world-friendly ergonomics. If you're ever curious I'd suggest taking one for a ride. You might like it more than you thought you would.
    So - Managed to get a little more saddle time this last weekend and thought I'd have a bit more of a play with the different modes.

A bit of background - The bike has the 4 rider modes of Rain, Touring, Sport and Custom. The first three are pre-set with the Custom mode being adjustable by the rider. Thus far I've played with the custom map (As I did with my previous MV Rivale) to try and get it to my liking. This time I tried the other 3 modes to see what difference they made. Well wouldn't you know but the Touring mode seems to feel the best with supple suspension and a nice smooth throttle response (This isn't always a given with the MVs I ridden/owned in the past).

I guess the bigger point here is that whilst rider choice is great in theory the reality is often a little different. What do others reckon - Do rider modes make things better or worse?

Bike
    Sold
    I guess the bigger point here is that whilst rider choice is great in theory the reality is often a little different. What do others reckon - Do rider modes make things better or worse?
    Interesting point Lee. I guess it comes down to the conditions each rider normally rides in. On my Duke 790, I have Rain, Road, Sport and Track (with a few sub-options on Track). I use Rain mode in wet conditions a lot. Apart from more sensitive traction control, it gives a very smooth power delivery which is great for those greasy roundabouts in town. Road is my "go to" setting and to be honest, it spends 80%+ of the time in this mode, probably because a lot of my riding is spent mentoring in a range of environments and conditions. I guess this equates to your "reality" comment. If I'm going out for a brisk outing on the back roads, I'll pop it in Sport mode because the power delivery is addictive. The downside is that it's pretty snatchy in town on this setting. Very quick to change back to Road or Rain but if I know I'll be spending time in traffic, I'm lazy and just leave it in Road for the whole day. Guess that validates your thoughts. I've never even tried Track Mode with launch control, anti-wheelie and all that jazz.

Bike
    It was on the good
    I get ABS and traction control but not engine modes. If you whack the throttle open coming out of a wet corner you deserve to fall off. Not sure if my GSXR has two or three modes but I can't see why I would want to select less power? I can do that with my right wrist. Having electronic suspension on your MV does however mean you could have a comfy two up touring setting and then a solo no luggage setting, so possibly some point to it on your bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    New bikes devalue $1000s as soon as you sign the paperwork.
    If nobody bought new bikes there would be no 1970's nails around for people to wank on about.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post

If nobody bought new bikes there would be no 1970's nails around for people to wank on about.
    Exactly. I used to get the odd moment of guilt about the new bikes I've bought over the years but now I realise it was absolutely the right choice every time. You don't know when your numbers up so enjoy life while you can, while still fit and able to play with toys. You can't enjoy them once 6 foot under or incapacitated with old age in a rest home. Better to look back with fond memories of this or that bike, not stare at a pointless bank balance from your walking frame.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post

Well it is still running perfectly well. Did I mention ikt was still running points and carbs? I bought new for the first 5 years after my CJ250. Then saw the like. No ABS and one mode-Rider Mode.....

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Then saw the like.
    Yeah, had you down as a Facebook user.

Thread Information