Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stand alone solar power

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Naki Rat View Post
    V2G is a developing technology. If these guys are accurate Tesla's soon to be announced "million mile battery" will enable Tesla's entry into this market. Interesting theorising.
    Perfect for an automated fleet.
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    As above, looking for opinions from people who have Off the grid installations and comments re Installation cost,ongoing costs, obsolescence etc. Is only for a one bedroom bach.
    One source of information about a suitable setup could be from people that use solar panels and batteries for a motor-home. I've been looking at some videos and other sources of information for motor-homes and it seems pretty common to put solar panels on the roof and charge a bank of batteries. They often save power by using gas cylinders for stove/oven and using a very efficient 12V fridge and LED lighting. You can use an inverter to provide 240V AC power for things that need that, but you can charge a phone or tablet with a charger that powers from 12V - better than turning 12V to 240V and then running a mains charger. A laptop may also be able to get a 12V car charger to use instead of the mains charger that came with it.

If you can bring your power usage down enough then it wouldn't have to cost a fortune to have off-grid power.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Geez - payback period is long over there. Our first 1.5Kw system 10 yrs ago took us 2.5 yrs to pay off - but we had a 40c/Kwhr feed in tariff. We added another 3 Kw system 5 yrs ago and that is now paid off, even though the feed in tariff dropped to 8c
    /Kwhr. I assume there are no incentives in NZ to install PV. A local we know was quoted $50k to get power in for his new house - 5Kw system, batteries and a wind generator cost him $22k. Solar hw with LPG booster and gas cooking.
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    A local we know was quoted $50k to get power in for his new house
    Yeah, that would make going solar with batteries a super easy decision. Fifty grand is a huge cost to be hooked up, followed by regular bills. A solar system would be paid back twice over before day 1, you'd have to be a fuckin' idiot to not go solar in this situation.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Well, I had a conservative estimate of $30k for a solar setup and just decided that I could use the money better elsewhere. $30k will pay for my power mains in and then many years of power after.
    I also only had 72m of trench to dig so it was not too far and it also gave me a chance to drop in a conduit for future fibre or phone plus a couple of power feed for my little shed and water tank went back up the trench 15-20m each.
    Also, as we are with Contact, they do a bach supply that has no charges other than what you actually use which will make it a bit cheaper again.
    Will post in again when the bills come for trenching and cables...
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Thread Information