Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard core commuter turns Bike friendly Holiday Park lease owner (Kai Iwi Beach)

Bike
    2015/18 Blade, 81 Katana, KR150R
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    A positive ratio of tall, shapely ladies in skin-tight leathers....

But in seriousness, the only thing I can add would be to maybe have some form of guided ride/tour thing available - where you take a bunch of people out on a ride - maybe discuss with local businesses about some referral option(s) - namely 'I'll put your Pub as a recommended stop if you would give our patrons a 5% discount' or something similar.

You mentioned Track Days - again same thing, take a group out for a scenic ride to the nearest race course, have a track day, come back. Possibly even bring along a Van big enough to take a bike back should one ride a little too spirited.

Yes babes and free beer I am sure would pack them in .

Guided tours are a nice idea no least because then I'd get to show off the place and ride with riders! Referrals is a good idea also, lots of good local businesses around here. There is a decent local cafe that also has meals and beer/wine 10 mins away for example.

Interestingly Suzuki legend Brian Bernard lives not far from here, does regular excellent training days (at Manfield which is @50 minutes ride) takes a big van to track (is also a mechanic etc so potentially lots of wins there). 50 minute ride to track is one thing riding back is always a bit tougher. Good ideas. Perhaps I need a big van I currently have a two bike trailer only (which is borrowed).

Mmmmm good ideas, organised bike tours... I recently meet a keen biker here who has a riding group I just joined, they know all the roads and are always keen for members from anywhere.

All this bike talk is making me itchy, best I see if the wife will let me out for a ride! I need to conduct research.

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Excellent news that we're getting more rider-friendly options around here. I'm sure there are a lot of riders who in the past have saved up to attend one or other of the famous, infamous, and niche rallies overseas and now - like me - are jonesing for Kiwi replacement destinations. All the best with your endeavours, OP!

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Thinking about what I have liked, looked for and enjoyed at various rallies and rides over many years; and not especially in any order of priority

• Reasonable size campsites and hard-surface bike parking for maintenance, repairs
    • Washing and cleaning gear available, free brushes and chamois, small charge for cleaning disposables
    • If no shop within walking distance, a small convenience-store shelf setup for after hours and last minute toiletries, drinks, eats and so on
    • Communal lounges outside and inside
    • Custom maps of one-, two- and 5-day rides
    • A bike trailer (I have a 3 bike trailer here in WangaVegas that sees little use, happy to lend it for emergencies)
    • Local supplier list for oil and other consumables, tires, repairs, tows, rentals
    • For the unfortunates who have to FIFO, when flights resume - an airport shuttle service and your own rental bikes!
    • Internet access
    • Movies outdoors at night :-)
    • A couple of really upscale bike-deco cabins with all the mod cons for the Parnell set and the born-again or recently-converted older types who are nonetheless looking for comfort; average cabins for the average Joe; and nice / larger / family-groups size tents as mentioned above

I'm sure more will spring to mind :-)

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Late addition suggestion: an installed fast-charge EV charging station for the LiveWire and other electric bikes... we know they're coming whether we like it or not!

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
    Late addition suggestion: an installed fast-charge EV charging station for the LiveWire and other electric bikes... we know they're coming whether we like it or not!
    wonder what's the rate of return versus customers gained on that. I've got a charging lead for my van, pull up plug it in in wellington and free parking. my vans not electric but i used second hand cable, and a buggered plug to make a mock up one and am saving a bit on parking now.

Bike
    suzuki
    no doubt it won't take long for you to be booked out christmas night and boxing night if you're offering secure bike and gear storage and a ride into the bikes for the day.

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    My 2cents FWIW.
    Have a point of difference that will encourage travelers. ie staying in a Yurt, bird watching etc
    I was a surf life saver in that neck of the woods. Get friendly with the Mowhanau clubbies.
    The local bowling club hold regular tournaments in summer, so maybe chat to the committee re accom for traveling bowlers.

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    wonder what's the rate of return versus customers gained on that.
    This guy works for a fairly well known m/c manufacturer. His comments are interesting...

IB: How much of a focus is the further development of electric motorcycles (or urban transport solutions) for BMW Motorrad right now as we’ve not seen anything enter production since the introduction of the C Evolution in 2012.

RR: Electromobility is absolutely in our focus and I am sure, that electric motorcycles and scooters will be very important for the future of motorcycling. With the C evolution, BMW Motorrad has indeed been a pioneer in the area of electric mobility and I see us continuing to lead the way here. The BMW Motorrad Vision DC Roadster clearly shows how we see what an emotional e-Power Roadster should look like in the future. And in the field of urban mobility I see our upcoming products with a strong focus on electric propulsion. We have a lot planned and will soon present an urban concept. So stay tuned.

https://www.carolenash.com/insidebik...-bmw-motorrad/

https://bikereview.com.au/review-bmw...ster-electric/

My apologies for the partial thread hijack, but I do claim relevance as my excuse.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BMW-E-Power-Roadster-Concept-2019-2-1024x588.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	543.8 KB 
ID:	346649  

Bike
    2015 Suzuki M109R
    Was just stalking your FB page Bruce lol, good to see what you are doing out at Kai-Iwi, certainly looks very good, might just have to come out for a blat on the bike and have a look, I'm in Wanganui

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    How much for a cabin for 1 person, 1 night?
    Also, what is the food like? Is it meals or snacks?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    CB1300
    In a similar vein to the road riders routes connections to any adventure riding guides, routes etc?

Sent from the road.

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    In a similar vein to the road riders routes connections to any adventure riding guides, routes etc?

Sent from the road.
    What I can say based on literally decades of get-out-there-for-an-early-Sunday-ride, is there are few medium-distance North Island roads with minimal traffic and good surfaces for cornering as well as having the combo of a great destination and a fun origin that compare to the Parapara...

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
    What I can say based on literally decades of get-out-there-for-an-early-Sunday-ride, is there are few medium-distance North Island roads with minimal traffic and good surfaces for cornering as well as having the combo of a great destination and a fun origin that compare to the Parapara...
    I sure miss riding in Taranaki and down to Wanganui.
    In the 90s I used to really like just turning down a road I hadn't been down before to see what was down there. Very few didn't play off.
    Frankly it'll be a while before I could make it down that way for a road riding trip due to excessive fortune on the progeny side.

A week away with family and a day or two adventure ride on a rental that would be an entirely different and much easier sell.

Especially if there was daycare within a suitable distance and some other activity to send the wife on.

However having lived at a Motorcamp my dad ran when I was a kid, the second biggest mistake operators make is over investing in niche stuff. The biggest mistake being a disinterest or over interest in customers.

Dad got the Motorcamp relatively cheap because prior owner was over invested in the international tourist market. Fancied up the "chalets" only to find no one wanted to pay more to rent them than the basic cabins.
    Market has changed now close to 40 years later and that might be a viable market, only market research would say.

The smart operators involved other businesses in developing opportunities for them.

Another nearby camp nearly sank under the weight of a rental watercraft and guided tours addition that didn't play out.
    They sold that part of the business to an operator with other watercraft businesses. Boom, it was profitable and paying rent to the campground.
    Even at 8 or 9 I could see that 10% of something is better than 100% of nothing with a debt burden.

Establish a relationship with complementary businesses such as caterers, marquee rentals etc. rather than carry the cost and the risk.

What exactly to develop will vary a lot.
    You can't be everything to every one but from what I understand there are some excellent adventure rides, some excellent roads and more than a few historical places to be enough of a magnet.

Sent from the road.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    I sure miss riding in Taranaki and down to Wanganui.
    In the 90s I used to really like just turning down a road I hadn't been down before to see what was down there. Very few didn't play off.
    Frankly it'll be a while before I could make it down that way for a road riding trip due to excessive fortune on the progeny side.

A week away with family and a day or two adventure ride on a rental that would be an entirely different and much easier sell.

Especially if there was daycare within a suitable distance and some other activity to send the wife on.

However having lived at a Motorcamp my dad ran when I was a kid, the second biggest mistake operators make is over investing in niche stuff. The biggest mistake being a disinterest or over interest in customers.

Dad got the Motorcamp relatively cheap because prior owner was over invested in the international tourist market. Fancied up the "chalets" only to find no one wanted to pay more to rent them than the basic cabins.
    Market has changed now close to 40 years later and that might be a viable market, only market research would say.

The smart operators involved other businesses in developing opportunities for them.

Another nearby camp nearly sank under the weight of a rental watercraft and guided tours addition that didn't play out.
    They sold that part of the business to an operator with other watercraft businesses. Boom, it was profitable and paying rent to the campground.
    Even at 8 or 9 I could see that 10% of something is better than 100% of nothing with a debt burden.

Establish a relationship with complementary businesses such as caterers, marquee rentals etc. rather than carry the cost and the risk.

What exactly to develop will vary a lot.
    You can't be everything to every one but from what I understand there are some excellent adventure rides, some excellent roads and more than a few historical places to be enough of a magnet.

Sent from the road.
    An awful lot of hard earned hospitality business sense in this post Big Dog.

Quite a fascinating journey you are on IronPawz, your business is bums in beds and your target market is pretty niche.

I'm an eternal optimist and reckon that if you can be the destination in your area for Kiwi tourist riders then, eventually, you will be top of the list for overseas riders.

Big picture thinking.. Always look at your facility's, accommodation, grounds, food, beverage and atmosphere from a customers perspective. How enjoyable would your stay be? Do you get value for money? Was your stay memorable in a positive way? Why? Take your personal opinion of whats good enough out of the game.

As much as it galls me, stuff like wifi, the ability to re-charge a myriad of devices, being able to supply a charging cable for a device etc is a big deal today. Look at trip advisor, one of the first gripes you will read about accommodation is slow internet and lack of power points. Easy, cheap fixes. You can't be promoted if the guests can't connect, they won't post tomorrow. Cables get lost and broken, you will end up with a box full of them left behind by guests. Keep them on hand, a courtesy service.

Tie in's with other companies are great, but.. You have to ensure that anywhere or anything you promote enhances your reputation. If you recommend a "good" pub to stop at for lunch and the experience is bad it reflects directly onto you, it erodes the trust you are trying to build. This is a toughy, keep an eye on and frequent your recommendations, staff and managers change.

Go green. Re-cycling, efficient power / heat / water, will be noticed and acknowledged by your guests. Something as simple as a compost bin for food scraps will get you kudos.

Being biker focused consider having tools, a compressor, tyre gauge etc available. Maybe even stands for chain adjustment and puncture repair. If a tourist rider is in dire straits in your neighborhood, you should be first choice for the night, regardless of their original plans.

Through this thread organise a "famil" of Kiwibikers to come and stay. Set a date and some fun riding. Sit the buggers down at the end of it and have some hard questions to ask, Kiwis will immediately say "grouse mate" if you ask "how is the place?".... Bloody useless feedback. Get the nitty gritty.

Crikey, I am off on a ramble! It's not often that KB throws something into my field.

Hospo and food are my game IronPawz, feel free to PM me if you want a third eye.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    snip...., Kiwis will immediately say "grouse mate" if you ask "how is the place?".... Bloody useless feedback. Get the nitty gritty.
    ... Snip
    Second that.

Don't ever take the first answer from anyone about their opinion of your service unless they hunted you down to give it to you.

It was grouse you say? What was good about it?
    What could we be doing better?
    Will you be back?
    Why?

Some people won't tell you the truth till the third or fourth layer so keep digging.

Thread Information