Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard core commuter turns Bike friendly Holiday Park lease owner (Kai Iwi Beach)

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...after being on two wheels for close on fifty years and generally being fixated by the things for a lot longer, the last thing I would want is to be stuck with a bunch of other similarly fixated people while I was out for a 'get away' from it all tour...I like to meet different people, go fishing and walking, relax...

...the good old kiwi motor camp of the past, lots with their own style and situations seem to have changed a bit over the years...

...I remember an extended South Island loop my wife and I did some years back on the GL1000...we decided that as we had no plan for stops, we should make one...it ended up being that we would only stay in very small settlements in pubs that had a Speights sign painted on the roof or fence...we managed to find just that over a two week ride...only one had another person on a bike staying there, we may have exchanged pleasantries but that was as far as it got...

...then again the thought of going to a bike rally or going on a ride with more than one or two mates is equally abhorrent to me...pandering to a niche market in the game you are embarking on may set it's own limitations...

Bike
    2015/18 Blade, 81 Katana, KR150R
    Quote Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
    Late addition suggestion: an installed fast-charge EV charging station for the LiveWire and other electric bikes... we know they're coming whether we like it or not!

All great and totally worth while comments.

Out door movies is something we are keen to do (has been done in past prior owners) already. Few good family movies.

Thanks!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    wonder what's the rate of return versus customers gained on that. I've got a charging lead for my van, pull up plug it in in wellington and free parking. my vans not electric but i used second hand cable, and a buggered plug to make a mock up one and am saving a bit on parking now.
    Hehe that is hilarious, any images? Classic.

Parks have 20amp caravan sockets all over the place and adapter leads to a standard house type connection. 20amp is reasonably fast. We do have a three phase outlet my sparky friend tells me we could plumb in. it is in a place now where a bike could get in and change but not a car. So might be ok where it is.

Otherwise if you use an old vacuum cleaner cable under the seat you can at least park in a prime spot while having a coke.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    no doubt it won't take long for you to be booked out christmas night and boxing night if you're offering secure bike and gear storage and a ride into the bikes for the day.

Actually you don't normally want people only staying a night or two over that time. They take up spots a family might otherwise use for two weeks straight. We have a minimum three night booking at that time.

Still... could we reserve something for riders specifically for those events? Probably not this year. We'd need something more like a hostel and there would be limits and regulations. Having said all that there are two spots we could potentially use with a port a lou or two and tents. Ring the tents around the bikes with hard spots to park on and some chains, surveillance, dogs (the shark of the land) with lasers attached to their heads.

Yes that could work quite nicely. While I may miss the show I can at least look at bikes here. That is my favourite part anyway (the parking lot).

Bike
    Great comment. I'm totally joining the bowls club and have meet most of the members. I quite like having a bowl. Keen to support the surf club also, I'm am sure there are things we can do for them. They are a treasured resource to the camp and community. All those safer kids, I'll be looking for ways to help. Keen to kind local clubs. I'm pretty keen to start some local clubs too. Brewing club, rocket club, astronomy but more likely some hazy combination of those things (science club).

Point of difference absolutely. My main issue is I have idea overload and have to take a deep breath and commit to one or two ideas and see them through. I've started small for example plant a load of fruit trees/vines and start small veggie projects. Clean up all the sheds and organise the vast heap of useful materials.

There is less touched area between the park and the sea that forms an acoustic bowl. I like the idea of music in there but also it would be wild to tent down there (no power or toilets yet). The birds down there (and all over but especially there) are epic, kingfishers, swallows, cranes, tui, fantail, all the common house birds. Be a good spot for something different. Stream with ells. No way to get road bikes in this area.

For the first summer we are running the existing playbook with a little playing on the sides and a likely cafe opening, bike loving.

Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    My 2cents FWIW.
    Have a point of difference that will encourage travelers. ie staying in a Yurt, bird watching etc
    I was a surf life saver in that neck of the woods. Get friendly with the Mowhanau clubbies.
    The local bowling club hold regular tournaments in summer, so maybe chat to the committee re accom for traveling bowlers.

Bike
    I love electric bikes. BMW still blowing smoke with a one off prototype and no dates still irks me. Where is Japan? Kawasaki is still playing with the same bike for 10 years and no production dates? Mean time Zero just smash out good bikes and Mission stagger along seemingly with orders but not delivering much. Then there are all the others mostly cheap and to limited or dizzy expensive at present. Finally Harley! Astounding that they just did it and I really do give it up to Harely for delivering a bike that works and is main stream supported. Bloody well done! Price is high but you only get that down by starting somewhere and reducing costs etc.

Tesla and Toyota or Nissan would probably make the best electric bikes (if their style department didn't make it look crap).

As for BMW they may get there (like non Tesla US car makers may get their) eventually. I'd be very happy to see them produce that bike and same with Kawasaki (probably more so theirs looks more widely affordable). Electric motorcycle for the masses, bring it on! I was so obsessed with building my own at one point I dreamed I was doing it every night for a week. However the cost and spec I concluded was just not compelling for my at the time 75km each way mostly highway commute.

This guy works for a fairly well known m/c manufacturer. His comments are interesting...

IB: How much of a focus is the further development of electric motorcycles (or urban transport solutions) for BMW Motorrad right now as we’ve not seen anything enter production since the introduction of the C Evolution in 2012.

RR: Electromobility is absolutely in our focus and I am sure, that electric motorcycles and scooters will be very important for the future of motorcycling. With the C evolution, BMW Motorrad has indeed been a pioneer in the area of electric mobility and I see us continuing to lead the way here. The BMW Motorrad Vision DC Roadster clearly shows how we see what an emotional e-Power Roadster should look like in the future. And in the field of urban mobility I see our upcoming products with a strong focus on electric propulsion. We have a lot planned and will soon present an urban concept. So stay tuned.

https://www.carolenash.com/insidebik...-bmw-motorrad/

https://bikereview.com.au/review-bmw...ster-electric/

My apologies for the partial thread hijack, but I do claim relevance as my excuse.

Bike
    Do it anytime. I'll make you a cuppa (instant is my current specialty). Feel free to join on facebook anyone is welcome. It is mostly about the park with a good side helping of bikes and some just life. That shed project has been taking time but there will be a well provisioned bike shed working soon. Stands etc at the ready.

Kai Iwi rocks I'm all in here, to hell with the corporate rat race of my last 20 years. I'd sooner clean the ... toilet! Oh shit that went sideways fast...

Quote Originally Posted by Dak S83 View Post
    Was just stalking your FB page Bruce lol, good to see what you are doing out at Kai-Iwi, certainly looks very good, might just have to come out for a blat on the bike and have a look, I'm in Wanganui

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    How much for a cabin for 1 person, 1 night?
    Also, what is the food like? Is it meals or snacks?
    There are small cabins that have a double bed, fridge and jug, heater. They are $80 a night for 1 or 2 people.

The food right now is only what we sell in the shop, bread, milk, eggs, tins of spaghetti or baked beans. So REALLY basic. The kitchen does however have everything you need to do eggs and beans on toast.

There is a full on chipper behind the shop but we are yet to open that up. Coffee / Cafe is coming but currently does not have a date. There are also self contained units (toilet / shower, separate bedroom/lounge) these come with double and bunks or fold out couch. They are $120 night for up to two people. Finally there is an in between option that has a double and bunks in one room close to the toilets which are $90.

You can check it out here and it will show you all the prices and bookings etc if you are interested (or call us anytime on 06 342 9658).

www.kaiiwibeach.co.nz

Is this ok in these threads? Feels like spam but I guess that is part of the nature of my reality. My interests and self interest are shamelessly aligned.

Bike
    What I keep hearing is I have to get out and create some routes (or work with local friends and I know just the guy). This clearly means riding those routes a good few times myself. Perhaps I will keep the later Fireblade after all... Its just a bit more like a 600 in the curly stuff of which there is lashings of around here.

I'm thinking video camera, uploads to youtube and some facebook marketing. Really this thread may just have saved my newer Blade if it could be considered part of the marketing etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    In a similar vein to the road riders routes connections to any adventure riding guides, routes etc?

Sent from the road.

Bike
    What I can say based on literally decades of get-out-there-for-an-early-Sunday-ride, is there are few medium-distance North Island roads with minimal traffic and good surfaces for cornering as well as having the combo of a great destination and a fun origin that compare to the Parapara...
    Good pub out there too. I'd love to long term have a license here. I remember someone mentioning you can hire like a licensed bus that can come sell beer.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Cheers mate, was looking for a room tues night just gone but ended up leaving Wellies a bit earlier than expected so just bit the bullet and rode the 10 hrs to Kamo instead...
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    There is some gold in that comment...

"A week away with family and a day or two adventure ride on a rental that would be an entirely different and much easier sell."
    Yes I've wondered about hiring out bikes. I do have two blades and the KR150R but could get others.
    Being able to facilitate this should be a good goal to aim at.

"Especially if there was daycare within a suitable distance and some other activity to send the wife on."
    Top comment and possible side line business right there. Holiday school in the park type option
    Tons of wife options here but thinking about it in those terms is a good comment. Lots of gardens, shops, art and museums here (also sunny spots for wine and a good book)
    Beach a short walk with life guards, swimming, sand castles etc

"However having lived at a Motorcamp my dad ran when I was a kid, the second biggest mistake operators make is over investing in niche stuff. The biggest mistake being a disinterest or over interest in customers.?"
    Golden comment. Point of difference should still be broadly of interest. Don't encourage 20% to be noisy, smelly bikers, spend all you effort on them and put off the 80% of others.
    I'll go with treat all your customers well (if you have favourites don't second class others over it).

"Dad got the Motorcamp relatively cheap because prior owner was over invested in the international tourist market. Fancied up the "chalets" only to find no one wanted to pay more to rent them than the basic cabins.
    Market has changed now close to 40 years later and that might be a viable market, only market research would say."
    We are not super fancy here and most of our market is actually quite local (bit of a hidden Gem) cabins are clean and work well
    All the rating and park finding websites have put us on the map now due to good comments
    The market does seem to favour self contained (shame we only have 2 self contained as we have 8 others)

"The smart operators involved other businesses in developing opportunities for them."
    Good comment I think more next year will be our year of partnership as we take on the basics for years one.
    To do good food options here we could look to partner
    Keen to create good partners

"Another nearby camp nearly sank under the weight of a rental watercraft and guided tours addition that didn't play out."
    Yup no risk no glory but you don't want to bet the farm. Have a budget, test the market etc.

"They sold that part of the business to an operator with other watercraft businesses. Boom, it was profitable and paying rent to the campground.
    Even at 8 or 9 I could see that 10% of something is better than 100% of nothing with a debt burden."
    Love it. Reminds me of Brian Tracy I grew up listening to that guy talk business success.

"Establish a relationship with complementary businesses such as caterers, marquee rentals etc. rather than carry the cost and the risk."
    Good. Whanganui is full of really great personable business people. Almost all so far are great. We outsource laundry etc already. Food in for Cafe is on the cards etc.

"What exactly to develop will vary a lot.
    You can't be everything to every one but from what I understand there are some excellent adventure rides, some excellent roads and more than a few historical places to be enough of a magnet."
    Totally just something else it bring to the mix. Partner with someone to provide it. Advertise ourselves and possibly with partners.

One of my still keen ideas is to make a great area for small concerts / bands. Country in the off season likely a winner for a holiday park with lots of powered sites. Decent bike and music gig?

First year is all about following most of the rules as provided and getting all the basics in place (clean, presentable, friendly camp ground). Improving food and drinks options. Gather and discuss ideas as widely as possible with as many people as possible. Listen, work out what might be fun and worthwhile. Provide a basic budget (could just be facebook ads) and work out a few basic cheap tests.

Possible partners
    Care givers for kids (ideally something fun, physical and educational or at least personally challenging)
    People to do bike tours, hire bikes etc
    Food / cafe / license?
    Fishing guide, hunting guide

Actually it is a long list.

Really great comment got a lot out of this one thanks. I took some videos of the park you can see them here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC19...qtNgTB-ONlKSEA

I've two kids here who will grow up in a park as you did and see these things in action, trial, error, success.

Bike
    Another great comment on what was also a great comment. So glad I posted.

Bums on bed (stick to the knitting, In search of Excellence / 1984). Yes that really is a timely reminder before I do get to side tracked.
    I think it really could be a great rider destination, I will get up some video there are some really, really great roads around here (proper uphill twisties and all).
    Always look at things from a customers perspective. What made it remediable. What is value? Take out the personal. Yes.

"As much as it galls me, stuff like wifi, the ability to re-charge a myriad of devices, being able to supply a charging cable for a device etc is a big deal today."

I'm ex-IT so I've thought about this. Also as tenters we know the truth of this also. I've a good collection of chargers and will make up several charge points (like BP where you cannot take the cable) and have spares on hand.
    Internet access here likely will be a bit rubbish when the place is full so I will look into that, cell reception here it patchy so have plan to spend some cash here fixing these issues. Sadly I've seen in shock due to being unexpectedly unplugged from the internet (its pathetic at times). Point taken it is fast now for all (off season no so much concurrent use) but will be slow later. Hmmmm might screw in a few multi boards too.

"Tie in's with other companies are great, but.. You have to ensure that anywhere or anything you promote enhances your reputation. If you recommend a "good" pub to stop at for lunch and the experience is bad it reflects directly onto you, it erodes the trust you are trying to build. This is a toughy, keep an eye on and frequent your recommendations, staff and managers change."

OK

Go green. Re-cycling, efficient power / heat / water, will be noticed and acknowledged by your guests. Something as simple as a compost bin for food scraps will get you kudos.

Great point and right in line with my personal interests, I am looking at giving up at least 1 tent side and planting a communal garden, there is fruit all over (more all the time).
    Keen for solar
    I love lithium ion and keen to charge and use it where I can (might get a cheap low range leaf just for park and town runs)
    I may have a cheap source of batteries given some of my IT friends

"Being biker focused consider having tools, a compressor, tyre gauge etc available. Maybe even stands for chain adjustment and puncture repair. If a tourist rider is in dire straits in your neighborhood, you should be first choice for the night, regardless of their original plans. "

I now have a full on workshop for basics. Also Brian Bernard lives just down the road (racer, mechanic, puts on Manfield training days which I've been to many).
    Right now it has all the basics and finally space, it is really a shed / man cave hybrid with compressor, bike stands, tools, battery gear.

"Through this thread organise a "famil" of Kiwibikers to come and stay. Set a date and some fun riding. Sit the buggers down at the end of it and have some hard questions to ask, Kiwis will immediately say "grouse mate" if you ask "how is the place?".... Bloody useless feedback. Get the nitty gritty."

Oh dam that really is a good idea. Hell I'd be happy to really discount that and put on a bbq dinner / breakfast. I can do a cage run with some people if they need supplies (supermarket is 10 mins away)
    Yeah feedback is best if it helps make some positive change (we've changed plenty on feedback already)

Crikey, I am off on a ramble! It's not often that KB throws something into my field.

Hospo and food are my game IronPawz, feel free to PM me if you want a third eye.[/QUOTE]

Love it I'm totally going to PM you.

Bike
    Hardcore 10 hour ride! Dam I'd be walking like a cowboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Cheers mate, was looking for a room tues night just gone but ended up leaving Wellies a bit earlier than expected so just bit the bullet and rode the 10 hrs to Kamo instead...

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...that's a lovely spot...can you walk directly down to that blue salty stuff from the camp or is it private property...you are now on my list of cool looking spots to go...I've kept the GL1000 thank goodness, just in case I ever had the time, inclination to cross the ditch and play up Nth...places like yours are a magic draw...a picture tells a thousand words, they say...

Thread Information