Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Hard core commuter turns Bike friendly Holiday Park lease owner (Kai Iwi Beach)

Bike
    2015/18 Blade, 81 Katana, KR150R
    When I was commuting 2 hours a day I never cleaned my bike. My 2015 fireblade had a full 10mm of grime on the back wheel. Then I sold it and a friend cleaned and upgraded things (breaks / exhaust / seat). I brought it back so this is the best way to clean a bike entirely guilt free.
    Still now I do not commute I may actually clean my bikes! Could that be considered a child entertaining camp activity? Common kids lets all participate in a bike clean, five teams, first to finish well gets a free ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    It's kind of like when I clean my bike. It causes rain.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...cool shit...I have no reason to go North at all, but you are making a target of yourself, for me...

...I'm not planning anything, cos that's not how it works...plans are rarely successful...but I bet you will see my 'wing at some point in the next few months...fishing another spot and catching a feed is of tantamount importance to me when I go North...

...and miles on the GL are not far off...hasn't been out of my shed for seven or maybe more years...new tyres just happening now, a new battery and points and fluids and hey presto, back on the road, less the wife on the back...she's been riding her own ride for a long while, and wants nothing to do with my ride...nirvana in a nutshell...

...all things going well, that is...

Bike
    CB1300
    Another low cost idea, have a library of books.
    They don't have to be good books or even in great condition as long as all the pages are there.
    Trashy romance novels and teen books seemed to go down well.
    We had a small book shelf in an outdoor area but out of the reason.
    People help themselves, leave there own books etc.

A few boxes of used books is pretty cheap these days but all good reasons to not have to go somewhere else when they finish the book they brought with them.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...that's a lovely spot...can you walk directly down to that blue salty stuff from the camp or is it private property...you are now on my list of cool looking spots to go...I've kept the GL1000 thank goodness, just in case I ever had the time, inclination to cross the ditch and play up Nth...places like yours are a magic draw...a picture tells a thousand words, they say...
    You'll enjoy the cheap rego on the Lead Sled. $54ish a year.

As a teenager I was always intrigued by the layout of those. False clam shell tank, fuel tank located low in the frame, water cooled flat four, shaft drive and rubber belt driven cam shafts.

If you are looking for some bits for it try this site https://4into1.com/search.php?search...GL1000&Search=

When I researched about motorcycles before I got my CJ250 I bought a book by Clymer called "Motorcycle Repair Encyclopedia". It covered a lot of different models available/in use at the time. The book had a section about tuning up GL1000s.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0000139.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	543.1 KB 
ID:	346949   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0000138.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	557.6 KB 
ID:	346948  

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    It's kind of like when I clean my bike. It causes rain.
    Or buying a new bike guarantees a week of rain.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Or buying a new bike guarantees a week of rain.
    You can ride in the rain I believe. But then again I'm not terribly knowledgeable on the topic apparently according to a few snowflakes on KB.

But then again I don't always ride around at 170kph all the time like some.

Here's a wee true story for you all.

Back in '78 a young, skinny, 6' ginga rode off the Cook Straight ferry on his recently purchased yellow '77 Honda CJ250 twin in Wellywood. It was pissing down hard from the heavens. He'd had the bike 2 weeks and covered about 60kms on it with a mate who owned an early GT250. He also had done a ton of book reading about motorcycling. That gave him the foresight to wear track pants under his jeans, a few layers of clothing, a scarf and wearing a one piece yellow vinyl rain suite with red and white stripe down the sides and arms. Had a set of quite well insulated vinyl gloves on as well and a yellow open face helmet with visor. Footware was a pair of combat boot with a couple of pair of socks in plastic bread bags.Having not ridden in such conditions with so much traffic, knock off time, on unfamiliar roads he managed to make it to Masterton, pissing down all the way, without much drama at all,.....

Now one day, if you are all good kiddies, I may tell you about the South Island loop I did one weekend in the early '90s on the '76 CB550F leaving from Ohakea.

Bike
    Totally have a books library which is free to anyone. People bring in more books than they take (but they don't have to). I seeded it quite heavily with my books too (always interesting to see if I have fellow people slightly obsessed with the worlds religions).

I've a few mag stands too full of motorbikes, science, few really old autotraders and some general stuff I've collected (humanist mags etc).

The wife provided a lot of trashy novels, I added plenty of Wilber Smith and Sci-Fi.

I love books and will just keep expanding that area. One of my fav camping things to do was just sit there and read while the kids did their own thing. I'd get through all the bike mags first!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Another low cost idea, have a library of books.
    They don't have to be good books or even in great condition as long as all the pages are there.
    Trashy romance novels and teen books seemed to go down well.
    We had a small book shelf in an outdoor area but out of the reason.
    People help themselves, leave there own books etc.

A few boxes of used books is pretty cheap these days but all good reasons to not have to go somewhere else when they finish the book they brought with them.

Bike
    Yup rode into Wellington for 6+ years. It rained all the bloody time. I actually loved it when it really let go (none of this just rain BS but a good hardly see piss down). Ohh and the wind the VERY best days where blowing like crazy and I'd see no other bikes at all (I'd be giggling like a fiend and passing everything out there). Ahh good times. A bit of bad weather is more reason for me not to ride than a lot of bad weather, at that point its fun (if you ride day in day out the exceptional rides are like this).

Still it is harder to scrub in new tires in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    You can ride in the rain I believe. But then again I'm not terribly knowledgeable on the topic apparently according to a few snowflakes on KB.

Back in '78 a young, skinny, 6' ginga rode off the Cook Straight ferry on his recently purchased yellow '77 Honda CJ250 twin in Wellywood. It was pissing down hard from the heavens. He'd had the bike 2 weeks and covered about 60kms on it with a mate who owned an early GT250. He also had done a ton of book reading about motorcycling. That gave him the foresight to wear track pants under his jeans, a few layers of clothing, a scarf and wearing a one piece yellow vinyl rain suite with red and white stripe down the sides and arms. Had a set of quite well insulated vinyl gloves on as well and a yellow open face helmet with visor. Footware was a pair of combat boot with a couple of pair of socks in plastic bread bags.Having not ridden in such conditions with so much traffic, knock off time, on unfamiliar roads he managed to make it to Masterton, pissing down all the way, without much drama at all,.....

Now one day, if you are all good kiddies, I may tell you about the South Island loop I did one weekend in the early '90s on the '76 CB550F leaving from Ohakea.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by IronPawz View Post
    Yup rode into Wellington for 6+ years. It rained all the bloody time. I actually loved it when it really let go (none of this just rain BS but a good hardly see piss down). Ohh and the wind the VERY best days where blowing like crazy and I'd see no other bikes at all (I'd be giggling like a fiend and passing everything out there). Ahh good times. A bit of bad weather is more reason for me not to ride than a lot of bad weather, at that point its fun (if you ride day in day out the exceptional rides are like this).

Still it is harder to scrub in new tires in the rain.
    Lived at Shelly Bay for three years. When the weather got really bad waves use you get blown over the road and on to our barrack windows. You could smell the salt water. Rode most weekends up to Palmy to see Connie and return Sunday evening..Took various routes PieCock hill via Haywards, the Rimatukas/Wirewrapper or straight up SH1 depending on my time schedule when I nocked off work on Friday. Packed the bike the previous day, road to work(Air Staff logistics. Ordering munnitions and shit) in the Freyburge building), then leave after work. Most times I could go at about 15:00hrs skipping the traffic leaving Wellywood. Made the time up the next week.

Some times I'd take the train north as the station was only a 10 minute walk away.

The bikes I had in the Shelly Bay bike shed where the CB750 Integra, CB550F and a twin shock small framed BMW R65. So I had choice of blkes to take for a scoot.

Bike
    suzuki
    You could offer to show small children Uranus. There's very little light polution near the beach so star gazing a worthwhile option.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    You could offer to show small children Uranus.
    Are you talking to Boner? Not sure that is good advice at all!

Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Are you talking to Boner? Not sure that is good advice at all!

nah he's into cows, was telling me the main hassle is climbing off the beer crate and walking around to the front every time he wants to give them a kiss though.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    nah he's into cows, was telling me the main hassle is climbing off the beer crate and walking around to the front every time he wants to give them a kiss though.
    You know you can buy tongue at the supermarket? With a bit of forethought, it would be like having a three-way!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    I've been keeping an eye out for a GL rolling in with two r rolling southies but so far no luck.

Noted some quite steady improvements in weather and fishing conditions too. White bait season is running and I can borrow nets and have areas in the park that are successfully fished (on private land).

Got plenty of rods I don't mind lending to riders. Sea fishing is probably better in a month than right now to be fair.

You now you want to.

What what was that noise you just heard in the wind

shhhhh kkkkaaaaiiii iiiiiiwwwwwwiiiiiii woooshhhhhh bbbbeeeaaachhhhhh shhhhh wwwwhite bbbbbait wwwwoooooo epic GL1000 road trip sssshhhhwwwwwwwrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnn

Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...cool shit...I have no reason to go North at all, but you are making a target of yourself, for me...

...I'm not planning anything, cos that's not how it works...plans are rarely successful...but I bet you will see my 'wing at some point in the next few months...fishing another spot and catching a feed is of tantamount importance to me when I go North...

...and miles on the GL are not far off...hasn't been out of my shed for seven or maybe more years...new tyres just happening now, a new battery and points and fluids and hey presto, back on the road, less the wife on the back...she's been riding her own ride for a long while, and wants nothing to do with my ride...nirvana in a nutshell...

...all things going well, that is...

Bike
    I've been REALLY good so about that

South Island loop I did one weekend in the early '90s on the '76 CB550F leaving from Ohakea.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post

Thread Information