Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does this happen often? First time.....

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking01 View Post
    Morning.
    You did well (and right) under the circumstances. Glad that you avoided injury.

These types of incidents are always so totally unexpected that they "shock" you, and it takes a wee while to mentally process them. But you'll be fine.

On a similar subject. As you start doing more riding, please do pay careful attention to oncoming vehicles that have stopped in the road centre, wanting to turn across your path.

Even when you think that the oncoming driver has clearly "sighted you" (and they should wait for you to pass before making their turn - because you have right-of-way), sometimes they don't. Sometimes the gap in traffic is just long enough for them to decide to "give it a go".

So please do test out the braking capability on your machine as you gain more confidence, and be ready to stop in these cases.

Cheers.
    Sage advice. To this day I follow what we used to teach in the late 80s :
    'to aid a driver not just seeing you, but Noticing you, I change wheel tracks (cars leave 2 wheel tracks on the road. I ride mostly in Right track) at least once and end up away from them track.

This gives them lateral movements rather than just a headlight approach straight on. The other thing it does is make them wonder if you are a danger and might scratch their car.

Additionally it has you already reacting to them as a potential threat and more likely to be able to put the BrakeLikeHell plan B into action without panic.

Before I had racing and dirtbikes to practice braking near the edge, I'd find a carpark every week and try 1/2 doz stops. Always focus on horizon when practicing. Always consider Escape routes on the road.

What you practice time and again will cease to be scary.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    nightrod
    Quote Originally Posted by PaesliSkye View Post
    I called my Dad who came down to check the bike over with me.
    Paesli,

It’s unfortunate that none of these guys have asked if you’re alright or how you’re feeling about this? Such a shame...

How are you doing I hope you’re ok from this incident? I can lend an ear anytime or if you want safe parking tips I’m happy to oblige.

ChCh is a lovely place to ride btw, has really good restaurants I hear.

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    I've had bikes backed into 3 times. The last time I was still on the damned thing. Yes, it happens.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    GSXR1000
    I've moved the off-topic and bs posts into Pointless Drivel. I'd suggest if you want to carry on this way you save me the hassle and just start posting in PD instead of the main forum.

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)

Angry Yes it happens

It's usually stupidity not intent. The dumbass probably hasn't got a licence and moved off in the wrong gear. Others just don't look in their rearview.

There's a lot of advice on where to position your bike for visibility, but that won't help if the dumbass has issues with bikes taking up a car parking space and drives into you on purpose.

Bike
    kb
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    I've had bikes backed into 3 times. The last time I was still on the damned thing. Yes, it happens.
    Sorry to hear that brother oaktree, hopefully this doesn't happen again

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    I've moved the off-topic and bs posts into Pointless Drivel. I'd suggest if you want to carry on this way you save me the hassle and just start posting in PD instead of the main forum.
    That'd be the majority of them then.

Thanks OAB.

Bike
    Upgraded to 765!
    So,
    Was out for a Sunday ride, parked up sensibly in a car park left my bike for 10 min to get a drink, came back and as I approached my bike some dickhead backed straight into it pushing it about a meter on its stand towards me then drove off....... off duty cop happened to witness it all and we both knew the number plate. I got a bit of a fright as I was standing next to the bike when it happened.

I called my Dad who came down to check the bike over with me.
    No damage to me or the bike.
    The car had no rego or warrant according to the cops. Explains why he took off.

Anyone else have things like this happen?

had somebody rear end me on a motorway on ramp. with traffic lights. that i was stopped at.

Idiot in question was in a courtesy car from a panel beater (did an application through nz post to find owners details)

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    Idiot in question was in a courtesy car from a panel beater (did an application through nz post to find owners details)
    Hmmm. So, someone who makes a human error is an idiot.

Guess that means a lot of idiots around.

But also lots of fine upstanding citizens on KB who have never made a human error.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    had somebody rear end me on a motorway on ramp. with traffic lights. that i was stopped at.

So the car was driving itself. How innovative. must have been designed an made by Millennials.

Just saying...

Bike
    Suzuki GN125H 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Paesli,

It’s unfortunate that none of these guys have asked if you’re alright or how you’re feeling about this? Such a shame...

How are you doing I hope you’re ok from this incident? I can lend an ear anytime or if you want safe parking tips I’m happy to oblige.

ChCh is a lovely place to ride btw, has really good restaurants I hear.
    Thank you soo much for asking! I’m doing great now, can’t let shit like this stop ya. Would love some advice on parking, it’s a bit of a challenge.

Bike
    kb

Bad advice

Thank you soo much for asking! I’m doing great now, can’t let shit like this stop ya. Would love some advice on parking, it’s a bit of a challenge.
    Dean couldn't park a dingy in a harbour. Im hear for any parking advice you need, i work for auckland transport so i know all the rules. I may sip 3 - 5 soy caramel lattes a day but im a half decent guy.

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Don't usually venture out of MotoGP thread but jeepers couldn't resist posting on this rubbish

Ya wonder why females last 2 seconds here and cant be bothered with the bullshit
    This place hasn't changed a bit LMAO - Hate to think of the bullshit OAB sent to PD
    and
    Did you see the tone of the thread change after this little gem popped up
    Cheers for the reply I am a female by the way ..... a young one too .... hence why I called my dad. I was shook up as had never happened before.
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
    Don't usually venture out of MotoGP thread but jeepers couldn't resist posting on this rubbish

Ya wonder why females last 2 seconds here and cant be bothered with the bullshit
    This place hasn't changed a bit LMAO - Hate to think of the bullshit OAB sent to PD
    and
    Did you see the tone of the thread change after this little gem popped up

Hey young Rickster! Could not agree with you more, way back when there were lots of Lady'
    s in here, now, not so much.
    Come visit us on Thursday night, BP Sthrn MWay off at 7pm.
    Be cool to catch up.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    suzuki
    When my partner was learning to ride and getting out more she asked for an upgraded position in the shed for her bike, fair enough, she was getting out much more often. the position she had was weaving through about six bikes, up a small ramp, doing a four point turn, and parking it real close to the wall, so when we come through the door next to it it wasn't in the way, and of course not touching the nicely painted wall.
    she didn't get the upgrade, as i explained that that spot with all those challenges to park showed me how she was improving managing her bike, with it turned off. She clicked to what I was on about and took up the challenge and noticed here performance parking, and gauged her improvement handling her bike doing this too.
    How you handle your bike and understand how to move it and park it with it not running is very important. good luck with finding someone to help you, i'm up north so can't offer to.

Thread Information