Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki GSF1250 Bandit Cam Chain Tensioner?

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSF1250s Bandit

Post Suzuki GSF1250 Bandit Cam Chain Tensioner?

My bike has developed a rattle, loud tapping, when starting from cold. Goes away when warm. Recorded noise on my phone and took to local Suzuki dealer just before the Auckland Level 3 lock-down. Mechanic said it was the Cam Chain Tensioner, no parts available in NZ and 3 to 4 months delivery at the moment from Japan - Bugger!! I am an essential worker and normally use my bike to commute 100km/day. I've tried some Suzuki dealers in Australia, they have the part but won't ship to NZ.
    Two questions:
    1. Any ideas on how to get the part faster? I've phoned a few dealers in NZ hoping they may have one on the shelf but no luck so far.
    2. I know there is a risk running the bike, but am I better giving it a short run once a week or so to keep it in running order, or just leave it in the garage for 3-4 months without running it at all until I can get the part in from overseas.
    Any practical advice appreciated. It's a 2008 model. I bought it 3 1/2 years ago with 11,000km on the clock, it's now done 52,000km and been serviced regularly. Love the bike.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Dont run it. If it skips a tooth or 2 it could be new motor time.

Google manual timing chain tensioners. Maybe something local but getting from offshore should be quick enough.

I would also be asking at wreckers for a used one. Plenty on TM at wreckers. Bit of a bodge but could keep it going.

The 1250 is a tank of a motor and Ive not heard of a young one needing a tensioner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Bandit View Post
    My bike has developed a rattle, loud tapping, when starting from cold. Goes away when warm. Recorded noise on my phone and took to local Suzuki dealer just before the Auckland Level 3 lock-down. Mechanic said it was the Cam Chain Tensioner, no parts available in NZ and 3 to 4 months delivery at the moment from Japan - Bugger!! I am an essential worker and normally use my bike to commute 100km/day. I've tried some Suzuki dealers in Australia, they have the part but won't ship to NZ.
    Two questions:
    1. Any ideas on how to get the part faster? I've phoned a few dealers in NZ hoping they may have one on the shelf but no luck so far.
    2. I know there is a risk running the bike, but am I better giving it a short run once a week or so to keep it in running order, or just leave it in the garage for 3-4 months without running it at all until I can get the part in from overseas.
    Any practical advice appreciated. It's a 2008 model. I bought it 3 1/2 years ago with 11,000km on the clock, it's now done 52,000km and been serviced regularly. Love the bike.
    Do you know someone in Aus who could receive the part for you and they send it over.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    I would've imagined the tentioner was on a wide range of models in typical Suzuki fashion. 3-4 weeks delivery from Japan just doesn't seem right. As well as Aus sourcing from the US is probably option using DHL or UPS priority shipping.. Should have it in a week.

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)
    is this the first winter you've run that bike? Maybe the oil is a bit thicker in the cold until the engine heats up a bit.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonicorn View Post
    is this the first winter you've run that bike? Maybe the oil is a bit thicker in the cold until the engine heats up a bit.
    I suspect the Op has had it for rhree winters so far.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Ebay is lousy with cam chain tensioners - lots of manual adjustment one ranging from about $40 through to one APE one where the vendor is asking over $1300! If you want something urgently you could get Fedex or DHL to bring it over within a few days, but it will sit at Auckland for at least a week after that. Or, a long bolt and locknut, and a tap to thread through the existing tensioner (pr a used one from trademe) and you could make your own
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    If you want something urgently you could get Fedex or DHL to bring it over within a few days, but it will sit at Auckland for at least a week after that.
    Not on my recent imports. Or Connies for that matter. Wouldn't use FedEx as it is a 1/4- 1/3 dearer than DHL and doesn't offer any better service. This is from 5 years experience of shipping aircraft components around the planet.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    just read this, bandit done 50kms ........ they're pretty bullet proof....

I'd be running it and try another mechanic !!!!!

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    I'd be running it and try another mechanic !!!!!
    I'll second that motion. Don't mention the diagnosis you have already, just ask him what he thinks. If you get the same answer, buy the part from Ebay asap.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    just read this, bandit done 50kms ........ they're pretty bullet proof....
    You forgot three zeros.

But yes the OP should get a second opion from a another Suzuki mechanic.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    The tensioner is a spring loaded ratchet type.

As the chain stretches this type of tensioner can sometimes find itself in a position where it wants to click over to the next notch but doesn't have quite enough slack in the chain for the spring pressure to achieve it.

It will eventually achieve it by itself but if you want to hurry the process along, sticking a little screwdriver in the end and pushing it onto the next notch can sometimes help.

Bike

Thumbs up

Thanks guys for all your advice, much appreciated.

I will get a second opinion and if it's the tensioner I will try and get one from Aus. The local Suzuki dealer when I spoke to them just before the Level 3 lockdown said it would be 2 - 3 months out of Japan, Coleman's Suzuki when I phoned them said 3-4 months out of Japan as they are only shipping by boat. This is going to become a significant issue for all sorts of machinery and equipment in NZ going forward. I used to work for an electronics company a couple of decades ago and they tried to keep limited products on the shelf and worked on just in time delivery from overseas. NZ needs to become more self sufficient.

Just a question with the rattling noise; it goes away when the engine has warmed up which would suggest that the chain slack is not a problem with a warm engine or am I wrong with this assumption? When I phoned the mechanic back after watching a few Youtube videos which suggested the tensioner could be sticking and I asked if removing it and cleaning fix the problem. He said it is unlikely as the engine oil keeps it clean and I just need to get a new one.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I agree with Katman. (Did I really write that?) My ZZR1200 had a mechanical tensioner and did something similar once. It should come right, but if not replace it. If the noise goes away when the engine is warm, it is very unlikely that the chain would skip a tooth.

You should be able to get a new tensioner from the US in 1-2 weeks. Partzilla are good, but I don't know about their shipping post-Covid.

Bike

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I agree with Katman. (Did I really write that?) My ZZR1200 had a mechanical tensioner and did something similar once. It should come right, but if not replace it. If the noise goes away when the engine is warm, it is very unlikely that the chain would skip a tooth.

You should be able to get a new tensioner from the US in 1-2 weeks. Partzilla are good, but I don't know about their shipping post-Covid.
    Many thanks Katman and SaferRides. I took your advice and went for a ride and it did come right. I was fairly confident to ride it once fully warmed up as the noise went away once warm. Sounds completely normal now when starting from cold. A friend suggested taking it up to higher rev and then let engine braking slow the bike down. I took it to 7000rpm in 2nd gear and let it slow down with engine braking a couple of times and it's good as gold now. The tensioner must have just been sticking.

Thread Information