Thread: Beginner friendly open road rides around Christchurch?

Bike
    R3

Beginner friendly open road rides around Christchurch?

Just got my first bike and haven’t done any open road riding yet. I’m pretty new to Christchurch so I don’t really know anywhere outside the CBD. I’m thinking 2-3 hours riding in total, somewhere to stop halfway and sit down and get lunch and think about life. Quiet roads with not too much traffic and not too many sketchy turns.

I am new here so hi

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ihavesomanycuts View Post
    Just got my first bike and haven’t done any open road riding yet. I’m pretty new to Christchurch so I don’t really know anywhere outside the CBD. I’m thinking 2-3 hours riding in total, somewhere to stop halfway and sit down and get lunch and think about life. Quiet roads with not too much traffic and not too many sketchy turns.

I am new here so hi
    Welcome. There is a young lady down your way with a GN125 just learning to ride as well. Maybe she can point you in the right direction.

Bike
    Old Bikes
    You’re on an R3?

That should be fine on most motorways. The world’s your mollusc really. North out to Amberley, West through MacLean’s Island to the west coast road. East over the hill to Akaroa , South to Rolleston and back through Lincoln.

Depends on where you start from.

Start early on a Sunday morning with a few pie and coffee shops up your sleeve as destinations and just go and get lost. Check the bike, go and fuel up and follow the road. Pack the bike properly so you can stay out all day if the mood takes you.

If you see a bike in front, follow it and see where they go. Steer clear of gps and navigation. Just follow roads and enjoy the ride, otherwise you’ll spend all day looking at the nav instead of learning

When you’ve had enough, turn for home.

If you find a bit of road you like, turn around and ride it again. Take a photo.

Don’t overthink it and have fun. Getting lost is part of it. It teaches you to do U turns.

Ginge

Thread Information