Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experience with lithium motorbike batteries?

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Thanks for the comments!
    I bought Laava's battery and will report back.
    In terms of bike weight:
    - replaced the very heavy and high standard exhaust with GPR cans
    + added a centre standard, heavy but low. Essential for touring, in my view (chain maintenance, packing luggage, wheel removal ...)
    Yip, yip and yip.

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)
    I heard lithium batteries like in smartphones, don't like the cold. They probably won't like cold NZ winters much, but that would be less of a problem the further north you get.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Yep, I never had problems with the batt being too cold but you can do a couple of things to warm them. The easiest way is to leave the ign on so the drain of the headlight warms the batt. If it is too cold for this to work you can pour warm water over the batt I guess? Works well on lead acid batteries in the cold too. Not without it's problems tho, easier done in a car than a bike for instance.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Got them on a couple of bikes. Will get one somewhere for the missus DR650 to help knock a bit of weight out of it.

They just work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    The Motobatt Lithium Pro battery fitted into the battery slot with a bit of closed cell foam packing. Saving of about 3.2 kg in weight. Bike starts great when ambient temperatures are warm, but rather marginal when down to just 10'C. Started each time after waiting between attempts (to allow the battery to warm up). This is, apparently, typical of LiFePO4 batteries, but I did not expect starting to be so sluggish at 10'C - I thought this behaviour occurred at colder temperatures. I do a bit of motorcycle camping, so will see how it goes when temperatures get colder. I got the battery from Laava for a fair price, so am happy. But hard to recommend at the retail price.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Don't wait between starts. Bike on, attempt to start, bike off. Bike on, attempt to start. It's the attempt to start that loads the battery, warms it etc.
    It isn't like a conventional battery where it gets tired after a couple of starts, it actually gets better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Don't wait between starts. Bike on, attempt to start, bike off. Bike on, attempt to start. It's the attempt to start that loads the battery, warms it etc.
    It isn't like a conventional battery where it gets tired after a couple of starts, it actually gets better.
    Thanks Gremlin. The bike thermometer was showing 9 degrees last week (in the garage) and it started on the 4th or 5th attempt.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    What a silly procedure. Ignition on, choke on, clutch lever in, press the starter button-BRRRIIIMMMM No choke for the '76 CB550F. just a wee bit of throttle.

With a good fully charged lead acid battery you have plenty of chances to start the bike if the first attempt fails. Or use the kick start.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Gremlin. The bike thermometer was showing 9 degrees last week (in the garage) and it started on the 4th or 5th attempt.
    I wouldn't consider that normal. Don't know which battery you got, if its the biggest you could put in etc.
    The only time my R1200GSA took 5 times, was in Matawai, mid winter. It had been outside overnight, sub zero temps, frost on seats etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    I ended up going back to lead acid. I need a reliable battery that works in cold temperatures and can tolerate the (slight) drain of the factory immobiliser.

Bike
    Upgraded to 765!
    has anybody seen, used, or know anything of hybrid batteries? Im thinking something like this one here https://www.moto1.nz/products/mbhtx16
    The marketing says all the right things but $339 is a bit steep for a bike battery!

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    I ended up going back to lead acid. I need a reliable battery that works in cold temperatures and can tolerate the (slight) drain of the factory immobiliser.
    What did you do with the lith battery? I dont have an immobiliser and would like any weight saving I can get, so if you still have it and ant to sell...
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information