Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where were you in 1989?

Bike
    bandit
    Working on a newspaper in Hawke's Bay ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    A year away from being made redundant by IBM. Came out of it financially ok, but was the first time I had ever been put out of a job (as opposed to leaving on my terms). Just about over it.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    1989?

turning 16 years old, leaving high school, drinking flagons, smoking pall mall filterless, hillman superminx, ac/dc , the sex pistols etc

honda cg125 with coby exhaust.
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...I was 40+ years old, at my peak, and looked half my age...things have changed since then...fucking good to be alive and our four kids are all sussed...

...grandkids just make you feel old...

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by fridayflash View Post
    1989?

turning 16 years old, leaving high school, drinking flagons, smoking pall mall filterless, hillman superminx, ac/dc , the sex pistols etc

honda cg125 with coby exhaust.
    I bought a CG125 for Connies twin boys to muck around with on the land behind her place.
    Half the neighborhood boys thrashed the hell out of it. It was good to see the wide smiles on their faces. No helmet no leathers and no gloves. I did make sure they were at least wearing sneakers. Non of them got seriously injured at all. All the kids just laughed at any rider that fell of it doing jumps on a dirt mound.

Bike
    Doo-card-ee Scrambler
    In the UK.

I was six months into my first business (computer support … don’t ask, it was an utter failure) with a one year-old child and a bank chasing me for money.

Between bikes, but I had a leased Alfa 33 and a massive Motorola 8500 mobile.

bm

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    Working on a newspaper in Hawke's Bay ..
    Back when they were both respectable publications

Would have delivered some of those
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Back when they were both respectable publications

Would have delivered some of those
    Herald Tribune?

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Sunny HB about half population size of today

Doing dumb stuff on pushbike as a teen riding on hilly walking trails where that kind of fun is banned now.
    Playing with lathes and spot welders in metal work class, burning stuff in science class and throwing fireworks at each other after school.
    Catching my first glimpses of 500cc GP race on telly.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Herald Tribune?
    That’s was Hastings, Napier was The Daily Telegraph. Both had their own distinct style but were both accurate and in house photojournalists not this blurry cellphone shit sent in by readers like today.
    The only opinion piece was by the editor and no corporate press releases masquerading as news like today.

Bike
    KTM530EXC

In Japan

In Japan, riding a Suzuki DR125 that cost me Y10,000.
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Wellington, probably had just bought a well used FZ750(had done a 6 hr) after trading my BMWK100RS in for a house deposit a couple of years before

Bike
    Exercycle
    About Ellipse's age - and looked it. At my peak as a tuner of F1 bikes on Methanol. Due to probs with the lessee of our F1 bike, it was a last minute deal to help Robbie Dean to his F1 title.
    Most remenmbered incident was working half the night to patch his GSXR up after a practise crash at Teretonga.

It was the last season of open fuel alas. And my last of self-employment.

And two years away from my first major heart attack.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...I was 31 and had spent 8 years overseas chasing motorcycle racing, F1 and hiding in a very unsafe but very safe environment, for me, in the Nth Sea...

...I was happily married with a son and back here in my fathers chosen land...catching big fish and as cocky as a hard nosed, aggro type of scots cunt could be...Roger Douglas had stolen or sold the foundation of why I had come back home with an English bride...

...at the time I wondered why the fuck I had come back to this fucked up but beautiful place...my wife left me and I turned into a bigger cunt than I was before...still fearless but more determined...I smacked a lot of wankers who fucked with me around the head and was invited to an institution that dealt with psycho cunts like me...only to find out I was just angry and normal but 'braw'...a silly cunt that would prefer to fight to the end than back down...

...nothing has changed as a lot of silly cunts that have fucked with me since then will testify...life's good and speedway is King...

...a long time ago though...and history is just the sands of time, blowing in the wind...

Bike
    nightrod
    Reading all of these posts and it’s clear that 1989 was a great time to be alive.

You were employed, had plenty opportunities & no real dramas like that of what we face today.

And the Boomers say to me “back in my day”???

You clearly didn’t have it hard at all.
    Imagine what us Millennials will have to say about what we went through...

Thread Information