Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2021 TT2000 is on!!

Bike
    2016 Honda ST1300,86/87 XJ900F,
    You do have an advantage being in the right island for some weekend scouting

However you will miss out on the frustrations of your GPS leading you astray in the middle of the night ! At least thats what happens to me LOL

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by biggo View Post

However you will miss out on the frustrations of your GPS leading you astray in the middle of the night ! At least thats what happens to me LOL
    A GPS is a fine thing - until it isn't! I use one + a rolling paper route sheet (easy to add notes) + my feeble memory. All good fun!

A few years ago, when nearing Chch on the Sunday morning, the last checkpoint was near the Selwyn River. I'd mis-programmed my GPS but I was so tired that when I realised, it took a serious thinking to remember which bank of the river it was on, and how to get to it. Still made it back before noon...

Bike
    BMW R1200GS '06
    Quote Originally Posted by biggo View Post
    You do have an advantage being in the right island for some weekend scouting

That is what we just done yesterday (Sunday) to try our luck. So we span around to complete our "Friday" rout (apart from the way up from the start) just to see how we can improve things. Don't forget this will be our first time checkpoint rally. We learned a couple of thing for sure. Even we did not left Christchurch and got lost... embarrassing but hey that's why the practice...

We made 52k points worth of checkpoints which pretty much highlighted the mileage will be lot more difficult task.
    So what we learned, the most important to get the coordinates set as target rather than just the name of the places... Sherwood and MacDonald Down gave us a bit of headache, however when I read the descriptions later at home... I should do it before we left...
    At the mean time it was a very great day out, we went places what we never seen before.

Relive 'Practice ride for the TT2000 next year'

Bike
    2016 Honda ST1300,86/87 XJ900F,
    Quote Originally Posted by arpa View Post
    That is what we just done yesterday (Sunday) to try our luck. So we span around to complete our "Friday" rout (apart from the way up from the start) just to see how we can improve things. Don't forget this will be our first time checkpoint rally. We learned a couple of thing for sure. Even we did not left Christchurch and got lost... embarrassing but hey that's why the practice...

We made 52k points worth of checkpoints which pretty much highlighted the mileage will be lot more difficult task.
    So what we learned, the most important to get the coordinates set as target rather than just the name of the places... Sherwood and MacDonald Down gave us a bit of headache, however when I read the descriptions later at home... I should do it before we left...
    At the mean time it was a very great day out, we went places what we never seen before.

Relive 'Practice ride for the TT2000 next year'

Love the video thing thats really cool do you have tracking device to work that ?

Bike
    BMW R1200GS '06
    No, app on Android phone (IOS also available) and just start tracking. Most of the functions are free, however I signed up for the trial period to see if it is worth it. Unfortunately editing the video only for the paid version. I edited old GPX file from sailing what I recorded with a different tracker and seems working fine as well. In general, not bad at all. If you gonna try it don't forget to turn off the highest speed option on the final video to avoid further implications...

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    I always find it interesting to see others' routes - your loop in North Canterbury is almost the exact opposite direction to when I did my trial run.

What is the significance of the photo taken at the bridge, after the MacDonald Downs checkpoint?

Bike
    BMW R1200GS '06
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    I always find it interesting to see others' routes - your loop in North Canterbury is almost the exact opposite direction to when I did my trial run.

What is the significance of the photo taken at the bridge, after the MacDonald Downs checkpoint?
    significance... hm the scenery perhaps. Also I always wanted to stop on the middle of a one lane bridge just for the adrenalin spike, what if someone is coming, what if I hold up the busy traffic... well that wasn't the case there but as I said, that was a practice day.
    Seriously I was thinking about to reverse the loop, based on the timing, just to keep the "easy highway" part to the end of the long day (we will heading to Oamaru on Friday morning). On Sunday i wanted to avoid traffic there as much we could.

Bike
    BMW R1200GS '06
    I just working on the next weekend's route, which is CHCH to Benmore and back. I appreciate the fact this lot more than hop on the bike and get around the block... just like we did last weekend. So the next one will be a little more organized and by February hmm, who knows, we might going to be prepared....

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    I'm glad that the bridge photo is innocuous and not part of the TT2000 course; I'd be upset if I'd missed something.

As far as preparation goes, remember the seven Ps. Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

See you in Oamaru in February!

Bike
    BMW R1200GS '06
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    I'm glad that the bridge photo is innocuous and not part of the TT2000 course; I'd be upset if I'd missed something.

As far as preparation goes, remember the seven Ps. Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

See you in Oamaru in February!
    Yes, seven Ps... It's new for me, but I can see the point. Luckily plenty of time until February so we can squeeze in some planned trips as well. I kinda like the idea of trying to find spots. It seems tag-o-rama is like this. I might need to dig in a little. By the chance, do you know any specific place to start looking?

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by arpa View Post
    By the chance, do you know any specific place to start looking?
    I don't want to sound too flippant, but I looked here: https://www.tt2000.org/2021-checkpoints-info.html

Bike
    BMW R1200GS '06
    The last free weekend before Christmas what I've been able to spare for a ride. A few checkpoint cleared and we polished our/my navigation skills. Pretty close now... still a few mockup. Also I keep forgot to resume tracking after a longer stopover. Nice day, we clocked 906 km, with a great average speed.

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar

Last call, Gentlemen (and Ladies)

Hi Folks,

Registrations for the 2021 TT2000 rally close in 24 hours (at midnight on 31st January 2021) - so if you are still thinking about joinng us (all 240-odd of us!!!) then now's good...

Cheers,

Wayne @ TT HQ

Thread Information