Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2021 TT2000 is on!!

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar

2021 TT2000 is on!!

Greetings!

Had enough of being told by "Mum" that you need to stay at home? Well, now you can make good use of the time by planning your 2021 TT2000 ride! :-)

The 2021 TT2000 is now open for entries...

https://www.tt2000.org/

Have at it...

TT HQ

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Nicki and I have been exploring...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Balmoral.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	385.4 KB 
ID:	347106   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ferniehurst, 1.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	447.1 KB 
ID:	347107   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	McDonald Downs.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	426.2 KB 
ID:	347108   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scargill.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	444.9 KB 
ID:	347109   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sherwood.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	383.0 KB 
ID:	347110   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glasnevin.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	295.3 KB 
ID:	347111  

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    Nicki and I have been exploring...
    Is the rail crossing (second image) at Ferniehurst, Dave? Different angle that doesn't look familiar....

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by wpoll View Post
    Is the rail crossing (second image) at Ferniehurst, Dave? Different angle that doesn't look familiar....
    Sure is - I tried the photo in the way you have, but with the sun directly in the camera's lens it was hard for it to be a good one. Here it is again - same angle but further back. Big trees!

Name:	Ferniehurst.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	487.8 KB 
ID:	347140  

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Yesterday, Nicki and I did some more exploring.

There was a howling nor'wester and it was 26-deg C at Hororata but when we arrived at Mystery Checkpoint 1 (wherever that might be...) it was 10-deg C.

The joys of spring!

Name:	Glenroy.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	417.4 KB 
ID:	347448   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hazelburn.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	259.9 KB 
ID:	347449   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lagmhor.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	392.8 KB 
ID:	347450   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mystery 1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	488.6 KB 
ID:	347451  

Bike
    BSA A10
    Sure is !
    Did you go through the Hookhamsnyvy to Mendip ?
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Did you go through the Hookhamsnyvy to Mendip ?
    Not this trip - shortest/quickest route only, when pressing on. On a TT2000, unlike for the Rolling Stones, time is never on your side.

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
    ... There was a howling nor'wester and it was 26-deg C ....
    When I scouted that chekpoint at Hazelburn, it was about 30-degC LESS than that!!!

Bike
    BMW R1200GS '06

Accomodation

I just started the preparation for my first TT2000 next year. I was thinking to offer accommodation for anyone (I mean the riders of this event) on the way to the start, on the way home after finishing or even during the rally. It isn't too exciting, to staying in Christchurch, I know but if someone interested just send me a PM.
    Also as a reasonably newbie to long distance riding, I could use some advise, like routing and these kind of "strategic" stuff. I've done the longest day ride last year, also some 600-800km day trips so hopefully I'm ready for this one too.
    I don't know, it's probably pretty early to think about it, making plans but I found it kind of exciting, so let's talk about it.

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by arpa View Post
    Also as a reasonably newbie to long distance riding, I could use some advise, like routing and these kind of "strategic" stuff. I've done the longest day ride last year, also some 600-800km day trips so hopefully I'm ready for this one too.
    My advice, for your first ride, would be to just do the minimum distance, and you'll easily get sufficient points along the way. I'd ride 600km on Friday (finish by 10pm), 1000km on Saturday (start at 6am, finish by 10pm), and then 400km on Sunday (finish by noon!). Try to get good sleep.

Average speed is generally lower than if you were just going for a ride, as the many stops nibble away at the time. The routing you'll choose will depend on whether you wish to visit the checkpoints that are on gravel roads.

It's important to eat, hydrate, and take rest breaks.

Read the advice and follow the links on the Rally Safety tab on the TT2000 website. Plenty of good info there.

Have you found the Mystery Checkpoints? You'll ride past them anyway - might as well get the points!

See you in Oamaru - only 134 days till the start...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by arpa View Post
    I just started the preparation for my first TT2000 next year. I was thinking to offer accommodation for anyone (I mean the riders of this event) on the way to the start, on the way home after finishing or even during the rally. It isn't too exciting, to staying in Christchurch, I know but if someone interested just send me a PM.
    I don't know, it's probably pretty early to think about it, making plans but I found it kind of exciting, so let's talk about it.
    The basic simple theory is to take the shortest possible route ... to gain the absolute minimum points to qualify.

A number of south island maps will give you a "Hard Copy" version to think on and be familiar with as you plan possible routes.

You may add extra checkpoints in some areas if time permits. Mark these "Possible" extras on you map plan. Picking up extras ... may allow you to delete a few if you get behind time later.

Long distance motorcycling often encounters issues not of your making ... nor your fault in planning your ride. Allow for those ... and use the extra spare time later (if you can) to pick up points.

You can check out checkpoints on Google maps street view. Sat view for some of the gravel ones.

Start building up longer (and longer) day rides with "Practice" checkpoints to get yourself in the right frame of mind as to what you need to do. Also include night rides too. You may find yourself alone in some very remote areas ... in the dark. And pass some very friendly (and open) houses of hospitality ... and I can assure you ... you would love to stop. Thus ... take a large bag of self control ... and an equally large bag of confidence.

Not wasting time will save you time. And reduces the need to go faster to make up time.

Remember ... you are not proving anything to anybody else.

Lastly ... enjoy the ride ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    BMW R1200GS '06
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate your comments, I'm probably the most frequent visitor on the TT2000 website since I made my mind up. That was pretty helpful as well. So I made up V 1.0 rout so I have a solid starting point already. At least something to be able to modify. I probably making up a second one with opposite direction, just in case, it might worth it to have something ready.
    Living in CHCH, I'm fairly familiar with the area, I/we already been pretty much everywhere what I plotted up, so finding the spots are not going to be an issue. I fall in short of mileage by 20km (based on the plan) which means we have to make a few extra miles before the finish. Of course I kept everything flexible and hopefully we will do better than I expected. Well I saying we, as my better half decided to come with me. Which is fine, we did some great rides last January (some of them was even more than 2000km in 48 hours) so we will be fine. Here is my plan if someone interested, feel free to comment on it.
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...if&usp=sharing
    Getting accommodation is still in progress, I'm not even sure if I make any booking for Saturday night, as that is the most flexible day. I'll keep family ready that day to find a place to stay while we riding. Is it a good idea?

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Nicki and I carried out a few more days exploring last week. This time in Otago and Southland.

Name:	18.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	343.1 KB 
ID:	347536   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	370.1 KB 
ID:	347535   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	371.6 KB 
ID:	347534   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	265.3 KB 
ID:	347533   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	352.1 KB 
ID:	347537   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	65.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	431.4 KB 
ID:	347538  

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    ... and some more.

Name:	106.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	343.9 KB 
ID:	347540   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	93.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	231.0 KB 
ID:	347539   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	111.jpg 
Size:	337.0 KB 
ID:	347541   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	114.jpg 
Size:	437.7 KB 
ID:	347542   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	117.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	410.0 KB 
ID:	347543  

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar

Thumbs up

Great pics, Dave!

The Glenkenich sign has an addition - the second panel with "Siding" on it. Most odd... This sign changes nearly annually!

Thread Information