Thread: A brake upgrade kit I am considering fitting to my bike

Bike
    Street Triple R

A brake upgrade kit I am considering fitting to my bike

It will convert your standard old sliding pin calipers to the new "radial" type. You will also save a considerable amount of weight due to the disc fixing bolts. A win win, I'd say.

Plus its very reasonably priced. With those braided lines, this thing would be killer.

edit: interesting. It would not upload the photo from my home PC. So I emailed the photo to myself, logged into the work system, saved it to my desktop and it uploaded normally. Very weird and I have never had an issue before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brake conversion.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	168.2 KB 
ID:	346884  
    Last edited by HenryDorsetCase; 22nd August 2020 at 20:54. Reason: no picture
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    a link or something?
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Looking forward to this. Bet it's like a broomstick device.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Interesting. Photo not posting. Beqr with me

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Interesting. Photo not posting. Beqr with me
    What format is it?

You could save it to imgur, a free image hosting service, and link to that. You don't need to sign up to it.

Bike
    2015/18 Blade, 81 Katana, KR150R
    That looks quite good. Do you have a link?

I'm very slowly doing up my old Katana (mixa) it has 92 GSXR1100 front end with the old triples. They weigh a tone and are rubbish I've love to go radial that would look nice on those old legs on that even older bike.

Oh and I brought it modified and have been adding to it. I did not butcher the original Katana (so now I can totally mess it up guilt free). Its been cut and welded beyond practical restore (even internal back shock and different seat).

Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    It will convert your standard old sliding pin calipers to the new "radial" type. You will also save a considerable amount of weight due to the disc fixing bolts. A win win, I'd say.

Plus its very reasonably priced. With those braided lines, this thing would be killer.

edit: interesting. It would not upload the photo from my home PC. So I emailed the photo to myself, logged into the work system, saved it to my desktop and it uploaded normally. Very weird and I have never had an issue before.

Bike
    bandit
    I have similar discs and braided lines

The first time I touched the brakes after they were fitted the bike nearly stopped dead . I had to learn to be more gentle on the brakes
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Why are radial mount calipers superior to side mount, if equal size and number of pistons, pad area etc.? Not starting anything, just interested.

With regards to the mounts shown, while the bolts may weight a fraction less, surely the extra steel in the caliper mount will negate this.

I've upgraded the calipers and disks on my GS1100, the disks are CBR600 (bigger diameter, same bolt pattern) and the calipers are Concours twin pot side mount (sliding pin). The extra steel added to the original Concours mounts (the welding has been certified) might weigh a few ounces on a good day. I have it on good authority that these will be way better than the original brakes.

WRT the original post - re "weight saving disk mounting bolts" - i see the original holes in the disk are unused and new holes tapped into the wheel spokes - somehow i doubt that would gain compliance. Or my confidence.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    WRT the original post - re "weight saving disk mounting bolts" - i see the original holes in the disk are unused and new holes tapped into the wheel spokes - somehow i doubt that would gain compliance. Or my confidence.
    You got it. Plus that mount is folded up out of a bit of sheet steel and held on with some bolts he got from Bunnings. Personally I think it is fucking unsafe but I would like to see the other side. But even then.

This is textbook how to NOT do this which was why I posted it.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Well fortunately that is why we have compliance and wofs. They can be a pain, but they are aimed at the lowest thinkers.

I wrote a stickied thread in the bucket section after seeing a few similar setups.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Yep, it looks pretty gash. The one part of the bike you should never cut corners....
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I couldn't see the photo when the thread was started and now wish I hadn't.

I do hope it did not get a WoF.

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by IronPawz View Post
    That looks quite good. Do you have a link?

I'm very slowly doing up my old Katana (mixa) it has 92 GSXR1100 front end with the old triples. They weigh a tone and are rubbish I've love to go radial that would look nice on those old legs on that even older bike.

Oh and I brought it modified and have been adding to it. I did not butcher the original Katana (so now I can totally mess it up guilt free). Its been cut and welded beyond practical restore (even internal back shock and different seat).
    I'd recommend Wave discs and braided lines - made a huge difference on my Bandits ..

But I fitted bolt on ones - do not use the mounts the way they are shown on the Kwaka above ... how about trying 1250 Bandit sliders and brakes (with Waves and braided lines) - I'm unsure if they would fit - but worth a look .. quite a few parts from a GSX1100 will fit a badndit so vv is possible ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Thread Information