Thread: Any old Hurbertville Rally goers here?

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport

Any old Hurbertville Rally goers here?

Apart from SPYDA is there any old Hurbertville Rally goers here?

Held in the 80s-90s for 10years and run by Monty and Pam with their boys down Wellywood way. Around 100 or so entrants from all over the place and of all backgrounds. Held on Wellington Anniversary weekend. It was a load of fun and some interesting motorcycles and characters attended it. I attended 9 of them. It was mandatory to pop in the Wimbleton pub and have a chat with Dutchy the owner.

Great times.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Was it called Coast to Coast or something like that organised by the Woodville Lions? Ran from Himitangi beach to Shannon to Woodville for a morning tea bbq? I did that, must have been late 90s on a Kawasaki ER500 twin. Was a long ride home in the dark from the Herbertville beach pub when I didn't know the territory or where the hell to find a gas station. Had to back track a couple of times from memory running on fumes. But I wasn't lost, no bloody way, and I didn't carry a map because why would a bloke carry a map?

I remember the group riding was a bit scary at times, too many bikes too close together and the odd fella doing silly shit, piss poor passing of each other. The usual group ride stuff. I suppose.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    [SIZE=2][FONT=arial]Was it called Coast to Coast or something like that organised by the Woodville Lions?
    No. Not the Coast to Coast.

I've been to a few of those in the past though with a buddy Doug on his Panta 500. On one a Busa and a large capacity road striaght through a cockies fence while passing the rest of ous at great speed on a narrow two lane sealed piece of road. Obviously not knowing that there was a perfect 90 degree corner about 400 yards ahead.. Lucky no other riders were taken out. Didn't go to any others after that incident.

The Herbetville Rally was basically an invite only affair with limited to a total of only 10 years and only the best riders were able to attend, ah SPYDA, Peaple Loopy Linda from Wellywood on her hand painted CX500, Merv and his wife from Nelson on a GS1000G with side car, Duffle from Dundiden turned up at a couple of times iirc, a chap with a Norton 850. Murry Cross on his beaten up ex-police white xj750 or one of his GT750s, Peter Dixon the guy who painted my CB550 on his BMW K1000 then later on a GTR1000, Dewent Street lads(Fish, Goat and co.) on what ever they a got running at that time. Which was usually a hodge podge assortment of greatly trash machines.Gango on his trike. And quite a few I can't remember the names of...Most of us bumped into one another at some other Relly around the country (north and South Islands) during the year.

Thread Information