Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do I get acid for my battery

Bike
    2015/18 Blade, 81 Katana, KR150R

Where do I get acid for my battery

I think largely thanks to those amazing examples of humanity willing to throw acid in the face of another (due to seemingly momentarily hurt ego's) I cannot seem to find acid for the motorcycle battery I just got delivered that came dry.

I've tried farmlands, supercheap, repco and even some auto electricians with no luck. When was the last time someone got acid faced in NZ?!?! I feel ranty when I say this is a great example of the truly f**ked in society making a simple thing impossible for the 99.9999% of normal people.

Also its a classic example of trying to save a few $$ being a but pain (I could have just paid the extra $50 and got the dam thing from super cheap with acid).

You can buy a battery that comes with a separate container of acid but not acid.... As for battery acid its pretty dam weak acid if you wash it off fast your face will not melt (like proper undiluted hydrochloride acid) it might mess up your cloths...

FFS!

I may end up re-using acid and no doubt killing the life of this battery. Poohs I say and possibly even wees. I should really just feaking make a lithium one myself (though it could easily end up as a similar circus as I am no pro).
    As for people selling dry batteries without making it VERY clear on the page...

Back to google to try save my $100 spend and get the old Katana cranking. What is 1L of acid I would think its about $6 worth.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by IronPawz View Post
    I think largely thanks to those amazing examples of humanity willing to throw acid in the face of another (due to seemingly momentarily hurt ego's) I cannot seem to find acid for the motorcycle battery I just got delivered that came dry.

I've tried farmlands, supercheap, repco and even some auto electricians with no luck. When was the last time someone got acid faced in NZ?!?! I feel ranty when I say this is a great example of the truly f**ked in society making a simple thing impossible for the 99.9999% of normal people.

Also its a classic example of trying to save a few $$ being a but pain (I could have just paid the extra $50 and got the dam thing from super cheap with acid).

You can buy a battery that comes with a separate container of acid but not acid.... As for battery acid its pretty dam weak acid if you wash it off fast your face will not melt (like proper undiluted hydrochloride acid) it might mess up your cloths...

FFS!

I may end up re-using acid and no doubt killing the life of this battery. Poohs I say and possibly even wees. I should really just feaking make a lithium one myself (though it could easily end up as a similar circus as I am no pro).

Back to google to try save my $100 spend and get the old Katana cranking. What is 1L of acid I would think its about $6 worth.
    how much do you need exactly. i have a bit here and likely in wanganui at the weekend.

Bike
    suzuki

FFS!

did you contact the supplier of the battery to rectify the issue?

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Most motorcycle shops should have a supply of battery acid in their workshop.

Bike
    Century Batteries in Palmy where good enough to say they can sort it (which is very nice of them it is not a Century battery). That definitely makes me want to deal with them in future.

Ironically I've found the same battery online now (YB14L-A2) cheaper than I got it with acid included...

How many times has trying to save some money cost more. I'm in Whanganui so a drive to PN for a few dollars of battery fluid...

Oh I just realised I could ride there on a different bike, Mmmm now that doesn't seem to bad (or is it worse if I say speed and get a ticket).

Haha I laugh at myself for being such a colossal idiot! In my face (at least not with acid).

Pretty unpleasant day out there so I'll leave it for a nicer day and enjoy the ride over if I don't figure something else first.

Deep breath...

Bike
    Nice offer. It takes 900ml I'd be happy to pay. I'm still hunting and (your next comment) no I've not contacted them but that is a good idea. I'm picking it probably was noted on the page but best I check. Right now I'm still hunting about Whanganui to see what I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    how much do you need exactly. i have a bit here and likely in wanganui at the weekend.

Bike
    Ahhh good point. I thought so of Auto Sparkies but seemingly not. Worth a try I'll try the one that has a Katana racing poster in shop and had some classic bikes for sale (when I figure out their name again).

Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post

Bike
    suzuki
    He's just moved to the wanganui area, has a motorcycle only workshop within 3 kilometers, and a city with several less than 15 km's from of where he lives yet chose not to buy local and see how they are so probably too scared to darken their doorways to ask for some.....

Bike
    OK Paragon Motorcycles said they have it out the back so hopefully that works I'm going to go and try. Felt a little like I might get there and in fact there is none but I will give it a try.

Slow day anyway.

If they do then that was a great call as I must have called 10 places so far. Even some battery 'experts' don't seem to stock acid.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    He's just moved to the wanganui area, has a motorcycle only workshop within 3 kilometers, and a city with several less than 15 km's from of where he lives yet chose not to buy local and see how they are so probably too scared to darken their doorways to ask for some.....

I guess that is somewhat fair. Even large bike shops in Wellington never had these in stock mind (supercheap does mind). As I just took over a holiday park, there are no international tourists and Auckland closed I am trying (for once) to be conservative. So online that battery was $100 verses Supercheap being $150. I thought what the hell. Bike shops would just order it anyway I can do that. Given my history you can imagine I've spent a LOT in bike shops to this point, darkened a great many doorways (including most of the ones here since I got here just to check them out).

Most likely the online shop had an option with acid (I just missed it).

That shop within 3 KM's where is that? Maybe the wreckers out on the main road (keep meaning to drop in there given they are also a brewery). MotorMart in Wellington made me cynical of always using the local shop (their markup was staggering in cases).

If you are in this neck of the woods by all means drop in if you fancy. Always a coffee here for you Jelly.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    There was an acid attack in Auckland not that long ago. Battery acid is not weak but you can test that out yourself when you get some.

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries

FFS!

Isint it in there I thought add water.know from experience you had add it right way or it react .just so longer ago pretty sure have have water add sulphritic to not other way round .I just go to battery shop.

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    Century Batteries in Palmy where good enough to say they can sort it (which is very nice of them it is not a Century battery). That definitely makes me want to deal with them in future.

Ironically I've found the same battery online now (YB14L-A2) cheaper than I got it with acid included...

How many times has trying to save some money cost more. I'm in Whanganui so a drive to PN for a few dollars of battery fluid...

Oh I just realised I could ride there on a different bike, Mmmm now that doesn't seem to bad (or is it worse if I say speed and get a ticket).

Haha I laugh at myself for being such a colossal idiot! In my face (at least not with acid).

Pretty unpleasant day out there so I'll leave it for a nicer day and enjoy the ride over if I don't figure something else first.

Deep breath...
    Nice one yeah better get them fo it.
    Prick of stuff if get it in cracked hands .stings like you know.
    Battery biz is tricky one.guy in chch
    Had leave family biz got to much lead in blood stream not good over the years.sure got more safety let's hope.

Bike
    Street Triple
    Quote Originally Posted by actungbaby View Post
    Isint it in there I thought add water.know from experience you had add it right way or it react .just so longer ago pretty sure have have water add sulphritic to not other way round .I just go to battery shop.

Always add the acid to water (not water to acid). Much safer

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnie View Post
    Always add the acid to water (not water to acid). Much safer
    It's always fun when the Water boils and starts spitting boiling and burning acid everywhere.

Good times in Chemistry class.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Thread Information