Thread: EX650 Full Power or MY07 HO - Advice Please

Bike
    VTR1000

EX650 Full Power or MY07 HO - Advice Please

Hello all

First a brief introduction...I'll try not to bore you...

I'm 48... female... 5'4"... 28-29 inch inseam
    Last bike was a VTR1000 which I sold approximately 10 years ago.
    I live in Kaitaia

Sooo... I was able to tip-toe the VTR1000... (seat height 810cm, width 710mm, weight 210 wet)... but now I'd like a shorter bike... and it doesn't have to be all that powerful.

Living in Kaitaia makes it difficult to try out bikes for size, so I drove to Whangarei today to have a look, but even they didn't have that many in stock.

I sat on a Ninja 400 and the size was great, but I worry it might be too underpowered for a long term bike... any opinions on that? Seat height 785cm, width 710mm, weight 168 wet.

The other bike I sat on that was suitable (flat foot left side, right foot on the peg) was the MT07 (I would get the HO version). Seat height 805cm, width 745mm, weight 179 wet. A lot of reviews saybthe bike is enormous fun, but there is a problem with the shocks... and there's no fairing...

What I'd really like is a Ninja 400 full power, but it only comes in black... very sad about that... plus, there weren't any for me to sit on, so I'm unsure if it will be too big/heavy for me. It's shorter than the MT07, but wider and heavier... what's the centre of gravity like? If I can manage the MT07, would I manage the Ninja 650?

I sat on a ZX10R the other day and it was just a bit too tall and a bit too heavy... I could manage it... but I'd like something a bit more confidence inspiring... I'm not getting any younger!

I'd love a ZX-6R... but again, I didn't get to sit on one... the plain green (non KRT version) is 815cm seat height, 705mm wide, 191 wet weight, vs ZX10R 830cm, 740mm wide, 204 wet weight.

I would love opinions please.

I'm so confused... lol...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    While it's good to get the seat heights, there is one metric you won't find on any bike. The seat width.

A taller bike, but narrower seat may well work better than a slightly shorter bike with a wider seat. How the bike carries it's weight will also be a factor.
    You also have options around customising the seat, adding to the bottom of your boot etc. Lastly, you can potentially modify the suspension so it's lower, but having 4 inches above 5 foot, you should have some decent options. Of course, it also depends what you term as comfortable, both feet flat on ground, or one foot etc. Stopping somewhere with a steep camber is probably your worst situation.

Also consider the Street Triples, they're generally quite light.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    XSR700 prolly a better bike than the MT07-shares the same motor but certainly looks better-or if you want a real thrill, XSR900.

Bike
    VTR1000
    I was hoping to get opinions on the bikes I listed, as those are the ones I'm keen on... 😁

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, I was about to barge in and say the Street triple as well.

But wrt to above comment, I won't say the Street, at least the 675, (never tried new ones) is a good choice for height and lack of weight and plain simple fun.

Good thing I read your comment before I made a dick of myself.

Boots modified by a cobbler with a 2nd sole will help.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)
    Ninja 650. If you're eying the 2020 Ninja 650 it has a nice colour display with smartphone connectivity. The Mt-07 display is clear, but basic compared to the new ninja. I tried the 650 and it fit me ok, but I'm 5'7"

Since you haven't ridden for 10 years, I did a little research and the Vtr1000 produced 104hp, the ninja has 67hp which is obviously less but possibly enough, but the 636 produces around 130hp but is all really high up the rev range so you have to keep it on the boil to tap into it. For street use the 650 would be my recommendation and its looks are nearly indistinguishable from the 636.

Bike
    VTR1000
    Lol... thanks guys... I am now 99% sure I'll go for the Ninja 650... if I can get it delimited legally...

Thread Information