Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DX motorbike postie position available in Christchurch

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Why not practical? Cycles don't have to stop for red lights.
    Lolz. Range and ability to carry weight wasn't enough. I do 120kms a day but there are some who do 150kms. You wouldn't do that one one charge and it would take an age. The only way to make it work was to throw the bike on a trailer with mail then set up a hub with the postie returning to that hub several times a day to get more mail. Then trailer back to base. 4 wheel vehicle running would exceed what we were saving with the electric bike.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    Lolz. Range and ability to carry weight wasn't enough. I do 120kms a day but there are some who do 150kms. You wouldn't do that one one charge and it would take an age. The only way to make it work was to throw the bike on a trailer with mail then set up a hub with the postie returning to that hub several times a day to get more mail. Then trailer back to base. 4 wheel vehicle running would exceed what we were saving with the electric bike.
    But think how happy Julie-Anne G would be.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    But think how happy Julie-Anne G would be.
    I'd rather not make her happy.

Bike
    There is still a position available if anyone is interested...
    ...just in time for the nicer weather.

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    Where looking in palmerston north too any takers .hours to suit .dx mail .

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

Bike
    2020 DL 1050 Vstrom RO
    Quote Originally Posted by actungbaby View Post
    Where looking in palmerston north too any takers .hours to suit .dx mail .
    Seriously tempted to do it again.

Love that road life.

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldiebutagoody View Post
    Seriously tempted to do it again.

Love that road life.
    Give it a go most of us do 25 hr week flexible hours .

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Thread mini-dredge. DX mail have been advertising a lot on FB - I interviewed yesterday and provided the drug and police checks come back ok (they will) it's pretty likely this will be my new day job. Previous employer suddenly went tits-up. Pay is not excessive (min wage) but beggars can't be choosers and it will supplement the superannuation. Getting paid to ride, even very slowly, cant be all bad.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Pay is not excessive (min wage) but beggars can't be choosers and it will supplement the superannuation. Getting paid to ride, even very slowly, cant be all bad.
    no wonder they are advertising all the time. It's a risky job where you can't sit in the truck when it rains, surely worth a bit more than min wage?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    no wonder they are advertising all the time. It's a risky job where you can't sit in the truck when it rains, surely worth a bit more than min wage?
    Could be worse. All gear is provided - new. Can take the bike home at end of day rather than having to take it back to depot, rate increases after first year then performance based after that. If I can ride in the cold and rain for my own enjoyment (ie Brass monkey rallies) then getting paid to do the same is ok, Besides it is coming into spring/summer.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    rate increases after first year then performance based after that.
    Hmmm how do they judge performance? Do you get points for style: wheelies, stoppies, getting a knee down?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Hmmm how do they judge performance? Do you get points for style: wheelies, stoppies, getting a knee down?
    On another forum, far, far away, an Aussie postie used his DT 230 for the mail round. He posted some great pics.

My favourite was a pic of him picking letters up off the road after a performance attempt went a bit wrong. Still, it was a full vertical mono off the speed hump.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    ---2000 Triumph SprintT
    Yes it is. They pay low,,,always have. They need to..as they go in cheap on mail pricing to undercut NZPOST. Not much left to pay staff. Silly business model really.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trade_nancy View Post
    Yes it is. They pay low,,,always have. They need to..as they go in cheap on mail pricing to undercut NZPOST. Not much left to pay staff. Silly business model really.
    Pretty much the standard business model now - race to the bottom. One of the reasons my previous employer folded was a major contract went out for tender and was won by a competitor who did not have the resources to do the job they just landed. But it was a lot cheaper. Many contracts are like that now. Bid low and hope you can get "variations" to lift the price after its signed. In this era of rapidly rising costs its probably why so many construction companies are going to the wall
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Don't know about the the other places or if it's changed since the Min Wage increased in April but in Christchurch our new guys used to start a bit above minimum and increases happen annually.

Could be worse. All gear is provided - new. Can take the bike home at end of day rather than having to take it back to depot, rate increases after first year then performance based after that. If I can ride in the cold and rain for my own enjoyment (ie Brass monkey rallies) then getting paid to do the same is ok, Besides it is coming into spring/summer.
    . Yep. Essentially someone else is paying for your 'habit'. Bike provided, new helmet every two years, summer and winter jacket and pants plus boots, gloves, and wet weather gear. Costs us in Chch about $2k to outfit a new rider. Good gear too. After 4 years on the job I still find myself laughing on the nice days when I remember "I'm actually get paid to ride a bike all day".

Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Yes, you get points for all that ... but they are negative points. Honestly ... safety is the big thing. #1 performance priority is keeping safe and healthy and actually delivering the mail comes after that somewhere. Depends on your run but for us in Christchurch you need to be able to deliver within certain time parameters. On a decent sized day I average one delivery every 35 seconds and I'm well within the parameter.

Quote Originally Posted by Trade_nancy View Post
    Yes we undercut NZPost and we still manage to deliver 5 days a week compared to their 3 days. Posties' pay is not huge but that is the nature of a mail service business model. It comes down to how much a business is prepared to pay to have paper mail delivered and at what point they say screw it, lets just e-mail everything. Bottom line is that we posties get paid to ride motorbikes all day and put paper in holes.

For me, I don't love the job, I don't hate it either. It's just a damned good fit for my life. It just doesn't feel like 'work'. It just feels like 'me'.

Thread Information