Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vstrom 650 advice?

Bike
    2012 V-strom 650

Vstrom 650 advice?

Hey,
    Don't know a huge amount of people who ride that I can get advice off, thought I'd give this a try (haven't done one of these before, so tell me if this is in the wrong place).

I am looking at upgrading from my current bike (yamaha scorpio 225) as I now have my full and would like to have the option of touring with my girlfriend (plus the bike is a lil pathetic). The bike will be used mainly for commuting, touring on the odd weekend/holidays. As a uni student with lots of debt it would be silly to keep both bikes even though the scorpio would be a little more convenient around town. Keen for a dual purpose because of the upright riding position and the ability to do the odd offroad wander.

Essentially I was wanting to ask around whether it is worth spending a bit of extra money to get a 3rd generation vstrom? ABS is a must so I would be looking at 2nd generation up. From my research and looking on trademe, its usually only a few grand extra to get a model that is only a couple years old in comparison to the 6-10 year old ones, is it because they actually don't devalue or because people are just trying to get as much as they can back?
    I have also noticed that there are a few GS's out there as well, usually a bit older, but a bit cheaper (my dad has a 2008 R1200 GS and swears by it, but I don't think my mum is particularly happy touring on it), so I am open to suggestions/advice on vstrom alternatives.
    I've seen a few ex rentals on trademe very reasonably priced (2014 F700GS, and 2014 Vstrom) but both have done 100,000ks +. Both have full service records though, so I am assuming they are in good condition.
    Essentially,
    - worth spending extra $$ on newer Vstrom models with less Ks?
    - what possible available alternatives to the wee?
    - thoughts on buying ex rentals?

Sorry for the essay and thanks for taking the time to read it!

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    The wee strom is a cracking bike. Also easy and cheap to get bits for and service.
    I would also go for the abs model, full power, (ie, not LAMS) and get the lowest km's you can afford in that model by haggling. You pretty much cannot go wrong with one. Very good for two up in particular, where you might struggle a bit more with a more serious adventure bike like xt660 etc.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    2020 DL 1050 Vstrom RO
    Go have a test ride on one from a dealer. There are usually a few in showrooms new or used that you could try and decide on before automatically going to TM. Take your girl with you, try it two up.

It is actually a very economical bike to own and run, miserly on 91 and servicing costs. Rego sadly runs to the higher annual amount being over 600cc. Because the stroms are "old designs updated with newer tech" the bugs have been ironed out. Solid tough reliable bikes ideal to step up to. Just make sure your inseam fits the seat height, or get some boots with really thick soles.

Go as new as you can possibly afford and you will be away laughing.

It is nowhere near hardcore ADV, but will take you most places you will want to go with appropriate tyres.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    If you want to regularly have a pillion, then the pillion needs to be part of the testing process. My wife hated the Vstrom we tested although I thought it a great bike, she loves my/our R1200GSA.
    If you have just earned your 6F I am going to assume riding 2 up is not something you have done before? I would recommend some practice 2 up in a car park with your current bike. I know its small but at least you are familiar with it. That experience also gives your pillion a frame of reference when considering your upgrade.

The extra weight makes a difference in everything about the way the bike will handle, least of all when riding at a steady speed in a straight line, so its the low speed stuff and anything NOT in a straight line you need to get a feel for.
    Do some reading on 2 up riding, watch some videos (Fortnine did a good one recently) DO NOT try to figure it out as you go. Your girlfriend won't thank you and worse, someone could get hurt.

Take the bike being tested out by yourself first of all and then with the pillion. If the dealer won't give you the time to do that, go to a different dealer.

If reliability is a concern, stick with a bike from a dealer.
    100,000kms is not a problem per se but remember that at that point some major parts may need replacement, brake rotors, bearings, suspension parts etc. Especially if they were rental machines. Think about it, when you rent a vehicle, do you drive it thinking about its resale value?
    What you are trying to do is balance saving a couple of grand by buying a higher mileage machine against maybe 3 or 4k in major work that will not have been done as part of regular servicing. Its hard and these are worst case scenarios. Again, going with a dealer at leaves you some recourse.

The Vstrom 650 is a superb choice, a gen 2 would be better if you can afford one. Anyone selling is going to want to maximise the return on what they paid. There will always be another bike, within reason you are the one to decide what you are prepared or able to spend.

Alternatives?
    F700GS, Tiger 800, Versys 650, CB500X would all be worth considering. The Tiger has a bigger motor but is still no monster.
    Honda also do some adventure styled bikes which are more road focused, the NCX700/750 and the VFR800X
    Later versions of the BMW F650GS are 800cc twins and tend to be looked after well.

Go ride some bikes!
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Old Bikes
    There’s a reason the rental companies used them. They are great mid range tourers with some off asphalt capability. Just good all rounders.
    Ginge

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    I replaced my previous ride with a V-Strom 650, ex-Japan so full power and with ABS.

Most of my riding is in urban or outer urban areas and that showed up the one fault with the bike - its fueling mapping. On very slight throttle it was very snatchy - not use of "was". Bit of research and found a way to sort it so much smoother when at low speed when you need more than idle speed. Has made it a much more pleasant bike to ride. Depending on traffic speed either 2nd or 3rd gear is fine in an urban environment. If you do decide to go for one and it's snatchy at low speed, drop me a PM and I can point you in the direction of a cure.

The other thing to consider is your inside leg measurement, the V-Strom is tall but relatively narrow.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    I owned a Gen 2 machine for a while - In short it was/is a brilliant bike and I wish I hadn't traded it.

As others have said go for as late a model as you can afford - Ideally with ABS and some luggage if you can.

Weestroms are just one of those machines that do a bit of everything. They aren't the sexiest, fastest or simply mostest machines but they do everything well. They're a bike that suits your needs rather than your wants. Good on fuel with a cracking motor in many ways they are as good as other machines costing thousands more.

The only criticisms I had were that the front brakes don't have as much bite as some and overall they can be a little bland - First World problems an all that

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    I owned a Gen 2 machine for a while - In short it was/is a brilliant bike and I wish I hadn't traded it.

As others have said go for as late a model as you can afford - Ideally with ABS and some luggage if you can.

Weestroms are just one of those machines that do a bit of everything. They aren't the sexiest, fastest or simply mostest machines but they do everything well. They're a bike that suits your needs rather than your wants. Good on fuel with a cracking motor in many ways they are as good as other machines costing thousands more.

The only criticisms I had were that the front brakes don't have as much bite as some and overall they can be a little bland - First World problems an all that
    I forgot to mention that I used to get cracking fuel economy from my Weestrom too. I managed over 400Km form the 20 litre tank on a few occasions. That was taking things easy but I'd almost always beat 20Km/litre and would often see 22+.

As for alternative - You have plenty of choice. I'd be tempted by a late model Triumph Tiger 800. With the 900 now here there will be 800s around which have been traded or sold. The 800 is a cracking bike and offers many of the good bits of the Weestrom with a bit more power. However they'll be more expensive age for age and, I would argue, aren't that much more capable to justify the difference. Still - Take a test ride and see what you think. Let us know what you end up with too.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Stroms are in the "run on the scent of an oily rag" bag. Not remarkable at anything, other than not being remarkable for anything. However, it's likely the sort that will grow on you if you value reliability etc.

As a student with debt, stay away from the bigger BMWs. I have one, but it means I can personally testify they are not in the same realm of operating costs as the jap bikes. I really love it, but I accept the higher maintenance costs. Yes, they're usually very good for pillions, good oem seats.

As mentioned, your pillion is a critical factor as you're going to tour 2 up. No sense you loving it, her hating it. You may find the mid capacity bikes a little down on power when adding a pillion and luggage, but once you've gained some more experience, you can start looking at larger capacities, which again, add more weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2012 V-strom 650
    Thanks for all the replies guys! Has all been very helpful at confirming lots of my thoughts/suspicions. I took my dad's GS out yesterday and was impressed with how easy it was to drive it (almost feeling more comfortable with it than my bike which I have been commuting on for 2 years lol, better handlebar positioning, fairings, brakes etc). Parking and getting the bike upright was noticeably more challenging (as expected), but was definitely the boost I needed to get test riding (scared of turning up to a dealer and dropping the bike or something stupid). I will hopefully get test riding next weekend (or even during the week, with uni being online these days) depending on my schedule.

With regards to maintenance costs, I was curious whether any of you could give me a ballpark figure how much more I'd be spending on maintaining a bmw/triumph vs the wee? (Assuming it's been regularly serviced and looked after). There are a few out there that look quite attractive.
    Ultimately it'll all be down to the test riding obviously but would be nice to have a rough idea.
    Cheers

Bike
    Old Bikes
    I’ve had a 650 VStrom for 18 months. It’s just clocked 63,000 and 10,000 of those were mine. It has cost me an oil change but I’m about to spend $250 on a sprocket and a couple of oil seals. I do my own spannering.

$250 on GS parts won’t get you far.
    Ginge

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsuth7321 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys! Has all been very helpful at confirming lots of my thoughts/suspicions. I took my dad's GS out yesterday and was impressed with how easy it was to drive it (almost feeling more comfortable with it than my bike which I have been commuting on for 2 years lol, better handlebar positioning, fairings, brakes etc). Parking and getting the bike upright was noticeably more challenging (as expected), but was definitely the boost I needed to get test riding (scared of turning up to a dealer and dropping the bike or something stupid). I will hopefully get test riding next weekend (or even during the week, with uni being online these days) depending on my schedule.

With regards to maintenance costs, I was curious whether any of you could give me a ballpark figure how much more I'd be spending on maintaining a bmw/triumph vs the wee? (Assuming it's been regularly serviced and looked after). There are a few out there that look quite attractive.
    Ultimately it'll all be down to the test riding obviously but would be nice to have a rough idea.
    Cheers
    like all piece of string questions, that is best answered with "it depends"
    People never believed me until I showed them invoices, my Suzuki Bandit 1250 was annually no cheaper to run than my R1200GS so far as regular servicing costs went. Service intervals are almost twice as long and some routine jobs take half the time with the big German.
    The difference will always be with non-routine parts, you definitely will pay a 30-60% premium for some european bike parts (BMW, Triumph, Aprilia, Ducati etc)
    If you spanner yourself, you can save hundreds of dollars a year.
    If you get the dealer involved a regular service is going to cost $300ish a pop for pretty much anything.
    If you need a fuel pump, a clutch kit or the like, just be prepared to cry a lot with a European bike but you will still become emotional with the japanese offerings.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsuth7321 View Post
    Mundane stuff isn't too expensive but can vary. My R1200GSA runs on mineral oil, around $50-60 for 4L. 4L of Motorex fully synthetic for the 1090R is probably more like $100 or more? I just know it's more expensive... Filters etc, much of a muchness.

CB919 is notoriously reliable, so probably not a fair example, but started using at 26k, now at 154k ish. Bar rear wheel bearings failing, yes, suspension was crap from OEM, it's also on it's third clutch cable, but other than that, its basically pads, oil, filters etc.

R1200GSA? Started at 4k, now at 153k. Bear in mind I've thrown a lot of crap it's way, that would have broken other bikes. That said, ESA suspension wasn't serviceable. Buy another set BMW says - $4800 +GST and fitting. I went with Ohlins at 60k. Final drive and drive shaft failed around 110k. $3500 for a final drive, $1500 for a drive shaft, I shipped in lightly used parts from Europe instead. Discs keep varying in thickness, I'm probably on my 5th set, frequent annoyance. Headlight was replaced under warranty when it failed, otherwise that was probably a grand.

Service intervals for the BMW are 10k, CB919 is 6k, 1090R is 15k (but I'll probably do 10k, 15 seems a bit high), so the jap bikes are more frequent and less expensive. BMWs are a beast unto themselves and needs a mechanic experienced in them and their odd ways, otherwise you're asking for trouble at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2012 V-strom 650
    Hey, quick update, I bought a 2012 vstrom off trademe! Had a couple test rides at the dealership a few days before, notably a BMW f700gs, didn't fall in love with it but still a very nice bike, just couldn't quite get past the extra purchase cost, for a mostly unnoticeable performance difference in comparison to the wee.
    The wee seemed like it was in pretty good condition, only couple tiny bits of surface rust and the clutch was a little weirdly adjusted, but all stuff that should be easy to fix. Dude didn't seem like a twat and hadn't ridden it particularly hard, and had been changing the oil and filters regularly. Came with center stand, bash plate/bars, alloy suzuki top box & panniers and hot grips for 5,800, which I thought was a pretty good deal compared to what I found in the dealership (very few accessories and a couple thousand more). Probably picking it up tomorrow.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Bike
    2013 DL650A V-Strom McCruise Added
    You'll be stoked they are fine motorcycles .
    Don't be afraid to rev it , these engines can easily take it and are oh so smooth .

Thread Information