Thread: GSXR1100 - tickle up...

Bike
    Katana 1135, RG500, GSXR1100, KX250

GSXR1100 - tickle up...

Started to give the R and tickle up......

Forks are off as the seals are to be replaced.

New carb rubbers, seats....$$$, clamps and hoses if they ever turn up. Only been waiting 2 months from Partzilla.

While apart I thought it might be an opportunity to replace the leads / coils as the cap has fallen off on.

What are good options for leads and coils... Dyno? - anything else?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cYrE2MV.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	189.8 KB 
ID:	347220  
    One for the road...
    Kat1230 (81), GSXR1100 (86), RG500 (86)
    The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED!

Bike
    Another because I can.

Love to remove the swing-arm and polish... add some new stickers and have it clear coated.... and Yes that will happen, only if I can get new stickers!

One for the road...
    The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED!

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arronduke View Post

New carb rubbers, seats....$$$, clamps and hoses if they ever turn up. Only been waiting 2 months from Partzilla.

While apart I thought it might be an opportunity to replace the leads / coils as the cap has fallen off on.

Wow love those gsx 1100 s
    R minds me Wellington motorcycle
    Robbie dean grant ramage scottish guy morrison .even spyed jag.
    Lucky you .

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Arronduke View Post

why wouldn't you buy the parts locally? you would be surprised at how close the cost is compared to partzilla and thats without the freight. I have a few old school Suzukis and on occasion got parts locally that have been on the shelf in nz for quite a while, and carry that eras pricing too. Partizilla parts books are often not as accurate as they could be too, leading to incorrect parts when the parts books have been multiple models. Although I think that's confined to the earlier pre microfiche parts books. One thing that outfits like partzilla are good at doing is sending half an order while they wait for the rest, this costs you a fucking heap in double freight etc....

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by actungbaby View Post
    Wow love those gsx 1100 s
    R minds me Wellington motorcycle
    Robbie dean grant ramage scottish guy morrison .even spyed jag.
    Lucky you .

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk
    Brian Morrison

Bike
    F#ck I just typed for 30min and lost it.

So short version, I buy NZ when possible, I have had excellent deals on parts for the RG / GSXR / Kat as they have been sitting in NZ for years.
    But when the difference is significant for a large order.. sorry wallet talks.

Back to the R

First job is to upgrade the coils / wires - I was told that Suzuki wires can not be replaced, I had a spare Dyna coil and tried to mount that bugger, nope, bugger all room for these coils.
    Told buy old kawasuki coils - ...you can replace the wires.. Ebay must know this fact because they wanted $$$$ for a set. If you want to know what models PM me and I will find it,

The originals coil wires are as hard as granddads cane... (noting else is hard on poor old Granddad...) when we want them supple like Suzzi's legs... Ok, dont know a Suzzi but if I did she would be 20's and have legs the are as supple as my new coils leads ..and bend....LOL

But fu#k me everyone is right the clips on these coils are not meant to be reused.
    Drink beer and think what is the worst thing that can happen, throw them in the bin, which by the way was what I was going to do....
    Heat gun out...beer open obviously.

Heated up the clips... and with the help of a screwdriver GENITALLY prised them out in tact... OK truth be known I rooted a couple first (old GSX coils) they are all the same..., but got the hang. They handle more heat than you think....

Not quite HOT but diffidently well warm to touch, I could not melt them.... warm to hot is the go.

No wonder the R was running crap... cap just fell off the coil wire.
    Add it had been sitting for 12 months and the carbs leaked fuel in to the crankcase... we will talk more about that later!
    Anyway.. pulled the coils and wires apart.. beer and heat gun are the go.

Have a close look at the old wires, those crap clips bite hard in to the wires.

One for the road...

Bike

Make sure it is the right type for wire.. there are many choices.
    And most importantly cut to length, and the clips are at the JUST right distance... dont ask me how I know!

Pneumatic tube cutter to get a nice clean square cut on the new wire.

Ready to go...

Bendy Suzzki wires LOL
    One for the road...

Bike

Did you notice that nicely painted head?
    One for the road...

Bike
    Quote...

"Trying to change the HT leads on stock Suzuki coils is more trouble than it's worth. Unless your problem can be rectified by simply shortening the HT leads, then Kawasaki coils from ZZR, ZX7 and so on are the same spec and have threaded retainers that enable easy HT lead replacement."

ebay these cols...
    One for the road...

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Good stuff.

Plenty of places that can make up stickers for you.

Bike
    Thanks Bonez..
    time for some paint... I got some paint in a can matched.

before

and after...

and the cam cover but I forgot to take picture of that..

looking good I might say... wish there was a can i could do to make the old girl look mint again, unfortunately time takes its tool on everything and as long as she still cooks and cleans I should let her sleep in side. Generous I know but until better options turn up... I guess Im up for another 20yrs.. LOL

Cam cover is off to check the tappet clearance... all were close, open up a couple was about it.
    Oh and the cover got a lick of paint.

I removed the carb rubbers, stripped the first screw so purchased some T Handle JIS Screwdriver PH1 PH2 PH3 for Japanese Standard Screws 7pc Set.

Now that i have the right bit for the screw, I only stripped 5 more LOL. Bloody hell these screws are tight and there is FA room.

Had to use a small chisel to undo them, so 8 x new screws will be ordered. I found I could get to one side easy enough with the chisel and remove the screw, then wack the mount in the anti clock wise direction to undo the other side.

The carb rubbers were split, hard as .... and not user friendly, just to add new rubbers were no easier to install the carbs. Mr Suzuki must have laughed when they designed that bit, if you do not bleed the job has not been done correctly.... minimum 8 beers! Six before you start... new clamps purchased for both sides.. still a c#nt of a job.

One for the road...

Bike

Cam chain overhaul next up, Kat has a manual APE job, R got a rebuild... why - cause.

Important thing here are the teeth.... if they are not mint, well not good. If I was to upgrade to a newer version, teeth, make sure the teeth are good. Like a horse.
    Bad teeth and your up for a rebuild. Better to spend that $$ on lungs... they look good and who cares if they cant smile.

Proof that gravity f#uks us all. Like the undercarriage on a plane..... time and wear stuff them in the end, they dont do that mint job they once did... leaking is often a sign that work is needed.

Pulled the bolt and spring out, followed by the tensioner housing.
    The spring is quite a bit shorter, and the manual does not give the correct length, the manual say no spec is supplied by Suzuki.
    Reset the push-rod and checked the ratchet which was fine, push rod needed to be pushed back when installing.
    New gasket, the old gasket had fallen apart and the cap screws were just nipped up, to loose.

All back together now.
    One for the road...

Bike
    Picture of before... not one after.

also painted the discs.

and a had the front rim powder coated.

One for the road...

Bike
    Time to clean the carbs, ultra sonic clearer used.
    New hoses, seals and float valves all OEM.

One for the road...

Thread Information