Thread: 2004 Suzuki GN250 Stripped oil plug.

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GN250

2004 Suzuki GN250 Stripped oil plug.

Hey all I got my first bike a couple weeks ago and though it'd be a great idea to try my hand at my first ever oil change. I may have royally fucked it up by stripping the threads on the oil drain, after posting in other forums I was recommended to use a helicoil to fix it but I'm too scared of getting metal shards in the engine. I noticed that it looks like I could remove a bit of the casing that looks like it only holds the oil plug ( ). Does anyone know if I can replace just the part that holds the plug or am I going to have to tap it or helicoil it or something? Any help is greatly appreciated for this newbie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0693.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	497.0 KB 
ID:	347223   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oil Drain 2004 Suzuki GN250.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	547.7 KB 
ID:	347222  

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    Quote Originally Posted by Elder_Wose View Post
    Hey all I got my first bike a couple weeks ago and though it'd be a great idea to try my hand at my first ever oil change. I may have royally fucked it up by stripping the threads on the oil drain, after posting in other forums I was recommended to use a helicoil to fix it but I'm too scared of getting metal shards in the engine. I noticed that it looks like I could remove a bit of the casing that looks like it only holds the oil plug ( ). Does anyone know if I can replace just the part that holds the plug or am I going to have to tap it or helicoil it or something? Any help is greatly appreciated for this newbie.
    If you can unscrew the casing and take it to somebody who has done it before, bike shops, an engineer ect fairly straightforward if you cant manage that pop the motor out and take it to said places.

Maybe ask a wrecker, those things are a dime a dozen.. dont stress we all have to learn some how and I bet you will never do it again! just yesterday I was doing fork seals on my bike and i knew if i slipped with the spanner i was going to do some damage.. guess what happened? I slipped and cracked my front windshield....

Bike
    Old Bikes
    Have you tried poking the sump plug back in?

It might be stripped but it might still hold. Thread tape is a helpful tool.

If not then helicoil it. Push a bit of grease up into the hole to catch any swarf and junk.

If the hole is toast and you can’t helicoil it then expoxy the old plug back in the hole and drill and tap a new hole.

Obviously welding and rebuilding is the best response.
    Ginge

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Just undo those three screws to remove the sump plug/oil strainer holding plate in. Either helicoil it fot the existing sump plug or find a bolt/machine screw about 2mm wider, you may have to cut it down a bit and thread the hole to match the larger size plug.

Supercheap Autos usually has an assortment of different sized sump plugs on a display on a wall near their 4ltr oil packs.

Diagram here. Look at the oil pump section. It is a very straight forward job. https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts...1912#sch232330

HTH.

Welcome to KB.

Bike
    YB125 RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Elder_Wose View Post
    Dont worry, you are not the first and you wont be the last to strip a thread. You can buy "oversize" sump plugs. You can get a kit from a good automotive outfit, try repco. Google it.
    DO NOT USE A HELICOIL. A helicoil will not work in this application.
    If you are unsure, take the little plate to a bike shop. It will cost bugger all to fix.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by 2smokes View Post
    Dont worry, you are not the first and you wont be the last to strip a thread. You can buy "oversize" sump plugs. You can get a kit from a good automotive outfit, try repco. Google it.
    DO NOT USE A HELICOIL. A helicoil will not work in this application.
    If you are unsure, take the little plate to a bike shop. It will cost bugger all to fix.
    A helicoil will work in the application. Plenty of meat for one. It will also be stronger than the parent metal.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginge09 View Post
    Have you tried poking the sump plug back in?

It might be stripped but it might still hold. Thread tape is a helpful tool.

If not then helicoil it. Push a bit of grease up into the hole to catch any swarf and junk.

If the hole is toast and you can’t helicoil it then expoxy the old plug back in the hole and drill and tap a new hole.

Obviously welding and rebuilding is the best response.
    it's lack of knowledge that has caused this, think those suggestions aren't really suitable in this situation, may end up in a bigger mess simply

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    it's lack of knowledge that has caused this, think those suggestions aren't really suitable in this situation, may end up in a bigger mess simply
    Pretty gash alright.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    What's the worst that could happen? I mean apart from the plug falling out and depositing the sump oil on the rear tyre at speed?

I should really look at the picture, but I will ignore it and talk about Suzuki GSs etc with removable sump pans that sit horizontally. The best repair is a timesert or equivalent. It is like a helicoil, but made of a solid piece rather than a coil.

The advantage is you can insert them and then grind a small channel where the stock ally has a drain. A helicoil would fall apart on the top rows if you did this leaving only a few threads at the bottom. If you dont then there is always some oil that will never drain.

For this I've taken the part to the local car engine reconditioner as this is bread and butter job for them and likely cheaper than a kit you may never use again.

PS chances are the damage was done by past owner.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    Helicoil will work fine. Flush it out afterwards.
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for not reading.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information