Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Electronic Rider Aids

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    I gather that you never have, and never will, use your brakes on a gravel road or an off-road surface even more slippery. ABS is seriously dangerous in these circumstances. You'll stop by hitting something.

I gather that you never have, and never will, try to accelerate uphill on a gravel road, on the flat on sand, or an off-road surface even more slippery. Traction control will prevent you moving.

Electronic intervention can be a fine thing, but it's not the be all and end all.
    well, it is the internet, so I guess it is kind of an expectation someone will try and score points and be a bit superior, so go you.

I believe the OP asked if we rate electronic aids, my answer indicated ABS and TC are no brainers, which is to say, yes, I rate them.

Incidentally, if I ride on gravel, I push a mode button which changes the ABS and ASC (as its called on my bike) to off road settings, so yes, I rate electronic aids.

Maybe, just maybe, one day I will become so good, I don't need them, until then I will take all the help I can get.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    well, it is the internet, so I guess it is kind of an expectation someone will try and score points and be a bit superior, so go you.

I believe the OP asked if we rate electronic aids, my answer indicated ABS and TC are no brainers, which is to say, yes, I rate them.

Incidentally, if I ride on gravel, I push a mode button which changes the ABS and ASC (as its called on my bike) to off road settings, so yes, I rate electronic aids.

Maybe, just maybe, one day I will become so good, I don't need them, until then I will take all the help I can get.
    (Just kidding) ]If you need so many riding aids maybe it is not really for you. HD are developing a stabaliser to keep the bike upright when on the go ffs.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    (Just kidding) ]If you need so many riding aids maybe it is not really for you. HD are developing a stabaliser to keep the bike upright when on the go ffs.
    sounds good, sign me up
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Only thing is it is located in the Top box so less capacity with a higher c of g and they are ment to be engineers.

Extendable trainer wheels wold be a better solution.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    I had an 08 Tiger 1050 with very few electronic gismos and I now have a 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport which is full of technology.

Initially TC, ABS, RBW & ASC were pretty annoying. They seemed to insulate me from what was going on. Simple 80Kph overtakes (on my old bike) were happenning at 120Kph. The good thing about the electronics is that you can disable the features individually at the push of a button until you get used to them (ride by wire couldn't be disabled - lol).

Even after two and a half years, I still disable TC, ASC, & ABS as and when required to suit my ride.

No question, the new technology is good. However I do worry that new riders will not ever get to learn 'Old Bastard' survival skills and tricks
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    What's ASC?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    YB125 RR
    I'm old school with old school bikes that you have to push your foot on this lever thing on the side to make them work and you have to mix oil with the fuel. I've had to learn to live with the gimmics as they have been introduced to the newer bikes I've owned. Stupid stuff like ABS, TC, Wheelie control, Quickshift, Autoblip and the list goes on. Now I sit here reading some of the comments thinking how my view has changed. (This is where I stand on my soapbox and cry "I was once like you") Give me a knarly road, a quickshifter and wheelie control and I'm in the happiest of happy places.

Does that make me a soft C?

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    What's ASC?
    A Silly Cunt. Something you should be familiar with in your day to life.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by 2smokes View Post
    I'm old school with old school bikes that you have to push your foot on this lever thing on the side to make them work and you have to mix oil with the fuel. I've had to learn to live with the gimmics as they have been introduced to the newer bikes I've owned. Stupid stuff like ABS, TC, Wheelie control, Quickshift, Autoblip and the list goes on. Now I sit here reading some of the comments thinking how my view has changed. (This is where I stand on my soapbox and cry "I was once like you") Give me a knarly road, a quickshifter and wheelie control and I'm in the happiest of happy places.

Does that make me a soft C?
    Depends. Does the C stand for cock or cunt?

Bike
    What's ASC?
    Auto Stability Control (hate it)

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    Auto Stability Control (hate it)
    What does it do?

Bike
    R1200GSA
    What does it do?
    its a different way to talk about Traction Control I believe.
    If the sensor detects a loss of traction in the wheel, the power delivery is managed until traction is restored. Or something....

Bike
    What does it do?
    Like UlsterKiwi implies, it is an intelligent management system to balance ABS & traction controls to neutralise suicidal tendancies.

The BMW version allows you to take a fist full of front brake whilst at full lean. Instead of throwing you to the ground, on the opposite side of the road, it balances the madness with fancy electronics to keep you upright.

"It's motorcycling Jim, but just not as we know it!"
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    OK, sounds good. Have you ever noticed it cutting in? Or is it purely for those knife edge moments?

Bike
    R1200GSA
    OK, sounds good. Have you ever noticed it cutting in? Or is it purely for those knife edge moments?
    Depends on the bike, but on mine, the prevailing riding mode alters how likely it is to cut in. I ride mostly on the road and mostly in what BMW call Dynamic mode. Sharpest throttle response, stiffest suspension, least input from ASC and ABS.
    When it kicks in you get a yellow triangle appear on the dash. I do not recall seeing it when riding. Mind you 2 things to bear in mind there, 1)I ride on the road, not the race track and I do not treat it as a race track, 2) when riding with some purpose, I am usually paying little attention to the dash, my vision tends to be focused a bit further up the road.
    Honestly, I think you have to push the bike pretty close to the edge before ASC steps in. ABS is much easier to trigger, especially with the rear brake. I know the bike reasonably well at this point, so I have to be deliberately trying to get ABS going now.

Thread Information