Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Rider Aids

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Your assuming the person behind you is a civilised member of society.
    Your screwed of their fatigued or some nutter on meth who mightbash you at next traffic stop etc.
    There’s entire series of brake check gone wrong vids on YouTube.

So what happens when the person behind you slams on their brakes, gets hit from behind and shunted into innocent oncoming traffic. That’s gotta be awesome on your conscience.

I’ve been hit three times from behind, none of them were tail gating, they just plain weren’t paying attention.

The smart thing to do is pull over, let them go rather than endanger other motorists by dancing on brake pedal creating a tailback....
    I think you've replied to the wrong post. No mention of brake checks or even braking.

Bike
    2015/18 Blade, 81 Katana, KR150R
    Is it just me or does the phrase "electronic rider aids" make you want to have a little titter. As if regular aids isn't bad enough.

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    The disease is spreading

Ducati to debut active cruise control on Multistrada V4

do NOT want
    =mjc=

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    I hear ya Jim, but the std cruise control I have on my Multistrada is the tits. Esp when on boring motorways or lengthy open roads like the napier-taupo rd. The active one may be just one step too close to autonomous for a lot of people...
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by jim.cox View Post
    The disease is spreading

Ducati to debut active cruise control on Multistrada V4

do NOT want
    Cruise Control is a 'MUST HAVE' for long journeys. Saves the pins & needles discomfort and lets you get the blood back to where it needs to be
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    It would have been bloody nice to have cruise control when I did the TT2000 this year. A quick shifter probably would have been nice too.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
    It would have been bloody nice to have cruise control when I did the TT2000 this year. A quick shifter probably would have been nice too.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    My RT has both. Don't use the quickshifter much as my changes are smoother. Can't see the need unless you are on a race track.

I wouldn't be without cruise control though. Folk who are most doubtful about it have never used it.

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I wouldn't be without cruise control though. Folk who are most doubtful about it have never used it.
    Have it in one of the cars - seldom use it, even across the Canterbury pains
    =mjc=

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    My RT has both. Don't use the quickshifter much as my changes are smoother. Can't see the need unless you are on a race track.

Jesus it must be crap. Quick shifters on more developed bikes make for much smoother changes. Especially when changing during corners where it doesn't unsettle the bike, just rewards with extended acceleration. My mates R1M is another evolution on from anything else I've ridden and is a joy to change.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Jesus it must be crap. Quick shifters on more developed bikes make for much smoother changes. Especially when changing during corners where it doesn't unsettle the bike, just rewards with extended acceleration. My mates R1M is another evolution on from anything else I've ridden and is a joy to change.
    Yes, tech improves so quickly the R1M is likely streets ahead of my 2015 RT.

I use it going up the gears sometimes, but only rarely going down the gears. I have quite good vehicle sympathy, so my gear changing is quite slick.

As a rule I don't change gears under load in corners, so not so much of an issue.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    But clearly behind my comparitively budget 2011 675 STR.

On my 1978 MB100 racer (in RS125 chassis) i added a QC with aftermarket ignition. On Kart tracks you were always changing gear at lean angles only slicks bring and the QC was a serious advantage on a peaky 2 stroke as it didn't unload the platform when cm count.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Pani
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Electronic aids are fantastic, quickshifters for example if you have never used a reasonably modern one you are missing out. Electronic engine braking, ABS, traction controls, wheelie controls, slide controls, slipper clutches etc are excellent safety features. ABS on the street is a no brainer but the other controls mostly come into their own when you're pushing. At normal touring or commuting speeds one would hope they would hardly kick in which should satisfy those who prefer raw unfiltered motorcycling. Most systems allow riders to turn settings right down or off so there is that option if you want to twist the 230hp wrist but if I were to purchase a new V4R electronics all the way to assist in controlling the beast.

Electronics are the new normal, just like we went from points to cdi, from servicing a bike every thousand miles to todays intervals, from cables to hydraulics and so on. They are there to help the motorcyclist and for those that recall the early shock horror at BMW's ABS on the K series the tech now is fully accepted and the best tech is that which you dont notice.

I have the full suite on my Ducati and while I have it adjusted to my liking with very minimal intrusion when I need to put it in rain mode for wet slick conditions, I really appreciate the safety margin it gives me. On the flip side electronics do not compensate for rider errors, I've highsided and lowsided both at low speed (on track and road) and both due to my own inability to read the surface ahead. So electronics wont save you but when I buy my next bike you can guarantee I will be picking a bike with the best rider aids that I can find as I will never go back to a bike without them.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post

I have the full suite on my Ducati and while I have it adjusted to my liking with very minimal intrusion when I need to put it in rain mode for wet slick conditions, I really appreciate the safety margin it gives me. .
    Had that chat in the office the other day. MY team leader had his V Strom in for new tyres and the shop gave him a new Triumph Tiger for the day. 800 cc version.

Tech coming out of your ears in terms of things to adjust. Ride modes, suspension settings, yaddy yaddy yaddy. The RT has all that, and I found that once I had ths\e settings I wanted I got bored with playing with the setup, so just leave it on what I have settled on.

I hardly ever adjust anything these days, maybe Rain mod in the wet. But I generally don't ride in the rain, that's what trains are for.

So, I have a bike with lots of tech that I hardly ever touch. Perhaps that's the point, I have it set up for me, so I can just forget it all.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    The RT has all that, and I found that once I had ths\e settings I wanted I got bored with playing with the setup, so just leave it on what I have settled on.

I hardly ever adjust anything these days,
    'King' Kenny Roberts sorta summed that up when he said words to the effect, if you've got a thousand possible suspension settings there are 999 wrong ones.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    'King' Kenny Roberts sorta summed that up when he said words to the effect, if you've got a thousand possible suspension settings there are 999 wrong ones.
    How very true from Kenny ! I prefer nothin but experience and what's in my head and throttle hand.....

If people learnt the basics, that is something hard to beat.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Thread Information