Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Rider Aids

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I mean, isn't that a thing a driver should be able to do? I console myself with the view that I could do it myself, or let the car do it.
    Bloody irritating following someone that can't keep a consistent speed in easy conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Bloody irritating following someone that can't keep a consistent speed in easy conditions.
    I've found it's one way to discourage tailgaters. After a couple of cycles of slowing down and speeding up, they usually drop back. Has to be done carefully of course.

Bike
    2020 DL 1050 Vstrom RO
    I'm not usually one for cut n paste links. However this seems very on topic for this thread.

I'd respect this fellow's opinions as I remember him scoring a ride on a Britten at Manfield a few years ago.

Usual proviso, everything on the internet requires care and not to be taken as gospel. The piece is informative of the direction of things anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c058k3R5lVk

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I've found it's one way to discourage tailgaters. After a couple of cycles of slowing down and speeding up, they usually drop back. Has to be done carefully of course.
    That is what a rare light brake is for. 3-4 of quick taps without actually applying the brakes sees tail gaiters back off fairly smartly.

If you cant tell the speed a m/c is doing at certain revs in certain gears after having owned it a fairly reasonable amount of time then something is wrong with the rider.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    That is what a rare light brake is for. 3-4 of quick taps without actually applying the brakes sees tail gaiters back off fairly smartly.

If you cant tell the speed a m/c is doing at certain revs in certain gears after having owned it a fairly reasonable amount of time then something is wrong with the rider.

I do like those brake lights that flash when the lever(s) is applied. Very eye catching.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I do like those brake lights that flash when the lever(s) is applied. Very eye catching.
    Yip they are a good idea. Separates them from all the other static red lights out there among the traffic . Been tapping back breaks to warn off tail gaiters since I bought my first m/c in 1978. You can usually adjust the switch to actuate a bit earlier and well it makes sense.

A riders is suppose to be scanning their rear view mirrors on a regular interval as part of to the riding process. If you fit useless skinny ones which are difficult to scan while you are riding your m/c then tough luck buddy. You are on your fucking own.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Yip they are a good idea. Separates them from all the other static red lights out there among the traffic . Been tapping back breaks to warn off tail gaiters since I bought my first m/c in 1978. You can usually adjust the switch to actuate a bit earlier and well it makes sense.
    Yeah, I try to give following traffic as much notice as possible, too.

Not when I have to chuck the anchors on in a hurry, though. An automatic flash in this case could be enough to stop being rear ended. Assuming following drivers are actually looking.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Yeah, I try to give following traffic as much notice as possible, too.

Not when I have to chuck the anchors on in a hurry, though. An automatic flash in this case could be enough to stop being rear ended. Assuming following drivers are actually looking.
    Yeah. Had a close one just a while back. An empty HALL refrigerated truck heading to Opiki over Saddle Road decided to speed up, pass the 60kph speed limit, on a long two lane passing lane. Got close but I was watching what the truck was up to in time while keeping an eye on the car trying to pass the truck. Nice wee skiddy. The next clear double yellow line straight I came across just dropped a gear on ol Darky and pissed off well away from the truck. Did some back country roads behind Woodville and Dannivirke then spotted the same truck turning into the Opiki works drive way.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Your assuming the person behind you is a civilised member of society.
    Your screwed of their fatigued or some nutter on meth who mightbash you at next traffic stop etc.
    There’s entire series of brake check gone wrong vids on YouTube.

So what happens when the person behind you slams on their brakes, gets hit from behind and shunted into innocent oncoming traffic. That’s gotta be awesome on your conscience.

I’ve been hit three times from behind, none of them were tail gating, they just plain weren’t paying attention.

The smart thing to do is pull over, let them go rather than endanger other motorists by dancing on brake pedal creating a tailback....
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Your assuming the person behind you is a civilised And INTELLIGENT member of society.
    Fixed it for you.

I recall a few "Incidents" when cruise control started appearing in cars. Crashing because they couldn't turn it off.

To turn it off ... all you have to do is BRAKE.

How hard would that be to remember ... or do ... ??
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    none of them were tail gating, they just plain weren’t paying attention.

The smart thing to do is pull over, let them go
    I am with you on this one.
    you just don't know what sort of person they are or capable of.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Fixed it for you.

I recall a few "Incidents" when cruise control started appearing in cars. Crashing because they couldn't turn it off.

To turn it off ... all you have to do is BRAKE.

How hard would that be to remember ... or do ... ??
    not that hard if your paying attention

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    A riders is suppose to be scanning their rear view mirrors on a regular interval as part of to the riding process. If you fit useless skinny ones which are difficult to scan while you are riding your m/c then tough luck buddy. You are on your fucking own.
    A rider is suppose (sic) to be obeying the speed limits too ... those that choose to not obey one part of legislation themselves ... but demand obedience to parts of legislation from EVERYBODY else (when it suits) ... is a hypocrite .... and an (almost) complete and total tosser.

Just saying ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    not that hard if your paying attention
    Too easy.

Perhaps ... that's why there were issues.

And whats the worst that could happen ... ???

And what have you got to lose ... ???

But it wont happen to me because I am a GOOD driver.

Sounds like a Tui add ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Yeah. Had a close one just a while back. An empty HALL refrigerated truck heading to Opiki over Saddle Road decided to speed up, pass the 60kph speed limit, on a long two lane passing lane. Got close but I was watching what the truck was up to in time while keeping an eye on the car trying to pass the truck. Nice wee skiddy. The next clear double yellow line straight I came across just dropped a gear on ol Darky and pissed off well away from the truck. Did some back country roads behind Woodville and Dannivirke then spotted the same truck turning into the Opiki works drive way.
    What sort of car was it you were driving .. ???

Thread Information