Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Electronic Rider Aids

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries

Electronic Rider Aids

Do you rate them or not?
    I have decided I can pretty much do without them except I love my cruise control now. I use it more and more. TC, HSC, Bluetooth etc etc I could happily do without.
    I am aware that most of it is just a program in the ecu, maybe aided by a small device like an IMU or an aerial etc so not much in the way of weight.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    A
    Rider aids come in many forms. We all have different outlooks.

Electronic suspension control is something that seems like a gimmick, until you have a ride on a bike equipped with it.

ABS was once seen as a rider aid we can do without. Wouldn't be without it now.

TC is nifty, the newer the system the better it'll be. My current bikes don't have TC but my next one no doubt will.

IMU controlled ABS is another level again, it goes against the grain to use a lot of brake whilst leaned over, but the electronics can keep it all in check...yet my thought would be what if it malfunctions?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Interesting debate, my general position would be undecided. Cruise control is one I haven't had, but would like. Recently purchased a bike, it doesn't have it, and while I said a while ago the next probably would, other criteria were further up the list.

Now 2/3 have ABS (no cornering ABS) and traction control. BMW has electronic suspension (and that's freaken fantastic) and tyre pressure monitoring (saved my bacon with a tyre that had a bad bead). KTM has riding modes that control power and traction, and ABS that can be front on, rear off, very handy as well. Hornet... uh, has an engine and brakes.

BMW traction control has both saved my bacon and given me a high side, so I'm on the fence. I don't think I've had any situations where it was down to the aids to save me and my tyre choice probably has more effect on my riding than any aids.

I think for learning riders, things like ABS are really valuable in assisting keep the bike under control.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Do you rate them or not?
    No, not at all.

I'm a Luddite - I like things simple.

All my vehicles are old - much easier to maintain and keep running without the electronic gimmicks.
    =mjc=

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Electronic suspension, this seems to be emerging tech.

there doesn’t seem to be a lot of reviews of it BMW excluded.

cornering: ABS, traction control sound good.

next will be adaptive radar cruise control and blind spot monitoring?

although it can be annoying, well worth it. At least in my car anyway.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Interesting debate, my general position would be undecided. Cruise control is one I haven't had, but would like. Recently purchased a bike, it doesn't have it, and while I said a while ago the next probably would, other criteria were further up the list.

Now 2/3 have ABS (no cornering ABS) and traction control. BMW has electronic suspension (and that's freaken fantastic) and tyre pressure monitoring (saved my bacon with a tyre that had a bad bead). KTM has riding modes that control power and traction, and ABS that can be front on, rear off, very handy as well. Hornet... uh, has an engine and brakes.

BMW traction control has both saved my bacon and given me a high side, so I'm on the fence. I don't think I've had any situations where it was down to the aids to save me and my tyre choice probably has more effect on my riding than any aids.

I think for learning riders, things like ABS are really valuable in assisting keep the bike under control.
    Actually, you're right about the electronic suspension. It is very, very cool.
    I have two bikes, one with everything and one with nothing and both of them are awesome to ride.
    The newer, upspecced Ducatis have handsfree ign as you would expect with handsfree gas caps. (Not mine) Sounds pretty unneccessary right? Giving a few people a bit of grief it turns out. If you can't even put gas into your bike cos the computer says "no" then it all seems a bit silly. And it is an expensive fix if you are out of warranty

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    The newer, upspecced Ducatis have handsfree ign as you would expect with handsfree gas caps. (Not mine) Sounds pretty unneccessary right? Giving a few people a bit of grief it turns out. If you can't even put gas into your bike cos the computer says "no" then it all seems a bit silly. And it is an expensive fix if you are out of warranty
    KTMs and BMWs also have keyless ignition (probably amongst others). Some I've spoken to love it (mainly around remembering your key in your pocket when you're sitting on your bike with your gloves on). Personally it's tech for tech's sake. I like having somewhere handy and visible to keep my key (like the ignition). It also doesn't require a degree to turn the bike on and off.

On that note, TFT screens are too new. So far plenty of complaints from owners across brands about apps not working, headsets having problems connecting, screens getting scratched... Yeah, I'll stay away from that for now thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    My Street has a useful clock on the dash. It would be nice if it changed for daylight saving time without manual intervention.

I'd like ABS for trips away which invariably have at least a rainy day. That's the only reason I'd consider a change.

I've ridden a mates R1M with electronic suspension which didn't impress at first sedate transit stage. But then as things got busy bendy and a bit choppy it was like nothing else I'd ridden.

How does cruise control work when you have your hand rest as throttle? I've only recently got a car with it for the school run. I love setting it for long straight sections involved and not have to worry about speeding or constantly monitoring the dash. Just turn brake or push the button off.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    How about gen 3 rider aids? (Assuming we are at about 2.0 now). How about aids to make me awesome . That would be worth paying for.

Or how about anti stupidity override. I dont mean nanny state- cant break rules stuff. I just mean those crazy overtaking moves we see people do.

How about your bike pulling over and giving you a right talking to. I mean pull your socks up. You could have badly scratched my paint. What do you have to say for yourself?

Have to give a convincingly contrite answer for the engine to start again.

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)

something else to consider is...

somebody getting into motorcycling sees a bike has ABS and TC, they're more likely to start riding because they feel it's safer with those aids, which increases the number of people enjoying motorcycling. But I hear you say "feeling safer and being safer are two different things!" and "those electronics will give them a false sense of security!". True, the newbie or returning rider getting a bike with rider aids like ABS and TC will be relying on a safety net...

My impression is that most of the people against rider aids are older riders who "managed to survive this long without those electronics" and "miss the day when bikes could be serviced without a computer", and on a psychological level are on some kind of ego trip where having safety technology is like conceding some part of their riding skills and abilities to a computer, aids that in reality are much less likely to fail than they are, and improving all the time.

...IMHO, anything that can prevent motorcyclists becoming another statistic is a good thing. Some bikes even have a feature to call emergency services if the rider does have an accident.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    My Street has a useful clock on the dash. It would be nice if it changed for daylight saving time without manual intervention.

I'd like ABS for trips away which invariably have at least a rainy day. That's the only reason I'd consider a change.

I've ridden a mates R1M with electronic suspension which didn't impress at first sedate transit stage. But then as things got busy bendy and a bit choppy it was like nothing else I'd ridden.

How does cruise control work when you have your hand rest as throttle? I've only recently got a car with it for the school run. I love setting it for long straight sections involved and not have to worry about speeding or constantly monitoring the dash. Just turn brake or push the button off.
    The cruise works exactly as you would expect. You can still accelerate up to a higher speed and it will then drop back to set speed when you ease off but it is cancelled by either brake, clutch or if you roll the throttle back into it's stop.
    Plus it also, and I havent actually read the manual here, seems to drop speed in a corner and then self resume.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Ok so you'd have to hold it in a neutral position off the stop but not closed and not accelerating. I guess that makes sense esp the close throttle off bit which is natural.

The car you just take it off the pedal , resting in anticipation of braking or accelerating if needs be, or pushing a button to 'button off'

Bike
    Blog Entries
    how much would you pay for the Awesome Wheelie Master module?

I'd bet KTM is working on it.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Ok here one for the touring rider. And I'm assuming by then everyone will have speedy drones flying ahead to take overhead video for your travel vblog and alert you to speed traps and traffic jams.

But how about an AI assessment of whether you should really pull over to put your wet gears on, based on the limited rating of your riding gear to withstand a shower.

Should you push on, it'll be past in a minute vs. oh shit I'm getting wet and now its pelting down so biblical I'll get soaked just changing if I can't find a tree or overhanging building. This would all be in the past.

That would be a good rider aid.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Heated massage seat.

A golf ball slipped into the pillion accommodation used to suffice on bumpy roads but times have changed.
    Manopausal.

Thread Information