Thread: adding a speedo to suzuki LS650?

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard

adding a speedo to suzuki LS650?

i bought a new bike a few weeks ago after getting sick of my old 750 virago. one of the things i am not keen on is the speedo on the tank, requiring extended time looking away from the road as i am not used to how it feels at certain speeds yet, and she is much lighter and quicker than i am used to.

i am considering a second speedo on the handlebars. what is the best one to get? i have googled a bit and seen a few different ones that do all sorts of other stuff. i dont need one for indicators, neutral light etc. only speedo and maybe a clock would be handy.

cheers in advance
    my blog: http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/index.html

the really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

Bike
    YB125 RR
    Have you considered a cheap Garmin GPS. They have a speedo "page" with an almost full screen speedo. You also get max speed, average speed etc.
    As a bonus you can find your way home if you venture past the end of the road.

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    Those little pushbike speedos might work I think they are a hall sensor? Like a small magnet in the brake rotor bolts a sensor and a few cable ties

Bike
    suzuki
    maybe an indication on how the existing one is driven would help here?

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    If it is like the older LS650s the speedo will be cable operated, Just get a after market speedo with the same ratios along with cable receptor and reroute the existing speedo cable to it. Or gedt a longer one if needed.

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts...7574#sch526884

I posted a link to a pdf/link of various speedo/tach ratios of various make/models of m/cs on KB earlier this year.
    https://mostynindustries.com.au/speedo-tacho-ratios

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by sunhuntin View Post
    i bought a new bike a few weeks ago after getting sick of my old 750 virago.

...??...sick of a 750 Virago...what's the world coming to?...

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    The 750 is a waaay better machine than the LS650 any EVERY way. Dad had a LS650 and absolutely hated it. They are a veeeeery long run model though so no issues with parts at all.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Dad had a LS650 and absolutely hated it.
    hence them being called a sewage

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    hence them being called a sewage
    That is rather clever. I'll mention that to Dad next time I see him. I'm sure he will have a good chuckle.

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    i gave it four years, but with it being my only transport and struggling to get it going every single morning got old very fast. i miss the height, but thats it. no more stress in the morning about whether it will start or not. i can go into town after work without concern about being stranded, heck, i can ride out of town without that same fear. it would have cost more than i can afford to sort all the issues. the LS is doing me well so far. the old girl went to a good home in paeroa to a guy who is going to sort her out. and yes, massive issue with getting certain parts... namely the damn flywheel! thats what needed repairing [again, already done it once] so figured it was time to give up the fight. i still have my 250 virago at my parents. cant part with her, we have done too much together.

its a 2020, not sure how the current speedo is driven, i assume a cable. might look into a gps, see if i can get one small enough to not being a distraction and that can have the brightness reduced.

will do some more research. cheers, guys.
    my blog: http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/index.html

the really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    If it is like the older LS650s the speedo will be cable operated, Just get a after market speedo with the same ratios along with cable receptor and reroute the existing speedo cable to it. Or gedt a longer one if needed.
    If the cable fits and the needle comes up ... it's legal.

Legislation says the speedo must work. Nothing in legislation says it must be accurate.

For accurate readings ... use a GPS device of some sort to see what the speedo is reading at the various speed limits. A painted line or tape at those speeds being shown on the speedo an you have an accurate speedo.

A friend of mine (yes I do have friends) had one of these bikes ... but his issue was that the tank bag he had on most rides (for the small stuff) covered the speedo. He did nothing about it. He never got a ticket that he didn't know when he was over any particular limit.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sunhuntin View Post
    i gave it four years, but with it being my only transport and struggling to get it going every single morning got old very fast.
    The old infamous 750 Virago starter rattle and clank. I'm surprised you put up with it for THAT long ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information