Thread: Gen1 Turbo Busa Build

Bike
    2006 Suzuki Hayabusa

Gen1 Turbo Busa Build

Greetings

This has taken about 5-7 years to get off the ground but its about 90% complete and ready to get back on the road at this stage. Lockdown was the silver lining which had me finish off just about all the fabrication in around four weeks. Pretty much everything but the plenum was built entirely by myself. Goal of this is a sleeper, the bodywork does fit over the right hand side with minimal trimming but the pipes will have to be heat wrapped for protection.

Pictures. Got hundreds more from the build. Might chuck more up if people show interest

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	119195371_3911245895553249_2947172077077261506_n.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	347310

Name:	119219020_3911245992219906_6079851648107056832_n.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	347311

Name:	IMG_20200919_184210_050.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	863.2 KB 
ID:	347312

Modlist as best as I can remember (This is alot more than just a pipe and airfilter)

ENGINE:
    Stainless Valves
    Titanium Retainers
    Upgraded Springs
    ARP Studs all round
    Adjustable Cam Sprockets
    Vance and Hines Cam Chain
    Manual Tensioner
    Wossner Rods
    Wossner Pistons
    Base Spacer Plate (lower compression of engine)
    Crankshaft Lightened
    Counter Balancer removed
    Transmission Undercut
    Ceramic bearings for transmission
    Tool Steel Shift Shafts
    Oversized Output Shaft
    Oil Pan Baffled
    Cams remain stock at this stage
    Final Drive 17/43
    Engine build by Glendene Engine Reconditioners with subcontracting to some old guy called Mick (who was a legend)

CLUTCH:
    NRL Boost Compensated Lockup

EFI:
    Power commander 5 with pressure temp input
    Bosch 044 pump
    RCC Billet Fuel Rail
    660cc injectors
    AEM Regulator
    AN-6 Lines all round

TURB BITS:
    COMP GT35R Turbo, billet hub, ceramic ball bearing
    GFB 38MM Wastegate 5psi Spring (will be running on this until the engine is broken in)
    Monster Turbos Plenum
    Tial 50mm Blow off valve
    Homebuilt Pipework all round

STILL TO DO:
    Dyno
    Cert
    Rego
    First Speeding Ticket

NEXT UPGRADES:
    Brakes
    Suspension
    ECU
    Boost Control
    Liquid Air Plenum

Probably alot more in here. Its been a mission that's for sure, almost 18 months just for the motor alone. Right now it idles like a bag of shit and needs to get off to the dyno. I had to take almost -75% off with the power commander to get it to fire with the large injectors. Hopefully an ECU flash fixes this. Does anyone have a flashing rig? Otherwise I will just use the dyno guy.

If I was to do this all over again I would have just brought a basic kit instead of going this deep with it. I'd love to build another but as a ghetto spec build, something filth as.
    Hopefully you will see it out there on the roads soon and I don't bin it on the first corner or just flatout shit myself.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    You must be dedicated to get this far and not just chuck it on trade me with all the other projects! Well done!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    2006 Suzuki Hayabusa
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    You must be dedicated to get this far and not just chuck it on trade me with all the other projects! Well done!
    There was literally a time where I was like "Fuck i'm in way to deep with this and just have to get it done"
    It owes me probably three times what I paid for the bike now so selling it unfinished at a massive loss was never an option for me. Damn it was good to hear it start up the other night though

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    What is the intended use? Drag racing? street riding? Ghost Rider emulation? More pics would be very welcome (for me anyway)
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2006 Suzuki Hayabusa
    Main use for now is street. Engine will hold up more than what the turbo can produce though so its anyones guess what happens in the future. Could throw another 10 grand on it and get to 300Kw pretty easy, way more bike than this man could handle anyway.

I'll get some more pics up tomorrow. Mainly manifold construction and the fab I did to get here.

Spoke to TripleZee today, he offered me some pretty straight up advice that I'm going to take on board and follow for now. Even said he saw the bike on this thread which was pretty cool. Was good to get decent advice for a change so going to revert the fuel system back to the stock injectors and run a rising rate fuel reg until the motor is run in. Make the decision later on on where I want to go powerwise, 200Kw is the goal for this un-intercooled build though.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    If you are interested in a fuel injection computer that is turbo aware, Speeduino (Arduino processor based) that might be of interest. You can build them yourself or buy as a finished product.
    Inmate TZ350 is ball-deep in getting a two stroke setup and seems to be quite familiar with it. www.speeduino.com
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reibz View Post
    Main use for now is street. Engine will hold up more than what the turbo can produce though so its anyones guess what happens in the future. Could throw another 10 grand on it and get to 300Kw pretty easy, way more bike than this man could handle anyway.

I'll get some more pics up tomorrow. Mainly manifold construction and the fab I did to get here.

Spoke to TripleZee today, he offered me some pretty straight up advice that I'm going to take on board and follow for now. Even said he saw the bike on this thread which was pretty cool. Was good to get decent advice for a change so going to revert the fuel system back to the stock injectors and run a rising rate fuel reg until the motor is run in. Make the decision later on on where I want to go powerwise, 200Kw is the goal for this un-intercooled build though.
    Did wonder about your build great to see your progress

Bike
    2006 Suzuki Hayabusa

Name:	DSC_0396[1].jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	781.7 KB 
ID:	347323
    Putting the engine back in.

Name:	DSC_0666[1].jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	567.8 KB 
ID:	347324

Name:	DSC_0673[1].jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	459.8 KB 
ID:	347325

Name:	DSC_0712[1].jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	682.9 KB 
ID:	347326

Name:	DSC_0740[1].jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	641.5 KB 
ID:	347327

Name:	DSC_0752[1].jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	530.7 KB 
ID:	347328
    Manifold Construction

Bike
    2006 Suzuki Hayabusa
    Exhaust Construction

Name:	DSC_0904[1].jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	652.3 KB 
ID:	347329

Name:	DSC_0952[1].jpg 
Size:	604.0 KB 
ID:	347330

Name:	DSC_1011[1].jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	768.9 KB 
ID:	347332

Name:	DSC_1004[1].jpg 
Size:	773.2 KB 
ID:	347331

Charge Pipe and plenum fitout

Name:	DSC_0961[1].jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	681.3 KB 
ID:	347333

Bike
    GSXR1000
    What a beast. Have you retained the original throttle bodies?

Bike
    2006 Suzuki Hayabusa
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    If you are interested in a fuel injection computer that is turbo aware, Speeduino (Arduino processor based) that might be of interest. You can build them yourself or buy as a finished product.
    Inmate TZ350 is ball-deep in getting a two stroke setup and seems to be quite familiar with it. www.speeduino.com
    Pretty interesting concept there. Much like megasquirt.
    The stock ECU is highly hackable with a flashing interface, unfortunately I don't have one of those but its something I'm going to look at getting this year and start playing around with. The power commander isn't that hard to get your head around when you start looking at the tables. The idea I've got is to use it in conjunction with a datalogger to slowly build my own tune while I'm running the engine in, start off rich and lean her out slowly. Dyno once I'm happy the bike is good and nothing is going to blowup/fly off. I brought a autotune unit for the power commander too and hope to use that to help build the table off boost.

Sometime next year (or the year after at this rate) I'll put the bigger injectors back in and start playing around with those. Found alot of good info, one guy even managed to get his running without access to a dyno using a data logger and a long as fuck road (no way i'll be taking this route)

What a beast. Have you retained the original throttle bodies?
    Indeed they are original. I know the butterflys sometimes get replaced with stainless steel ones for guys that run insane levels of boost. The cams are also original, hopefully I'm not rolling the dice keeping them stock with 50K on them. Probably another part I'll add to the "dreams are free" list

Thread Information