Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Member, Plenty of Questions for you all.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
    It looks good. The only suggestions that I would immediately give is that I would highly recommend finding time to do the Napier to Taihape, and Stratford to Taumarunui roads somehow. (In my opinion, they are two of the best roads in the whole North Island in terms of the roads themselves, the ever changing topography, and the comparative lack of traffic). Although, it is worth pointing out that there is a small gravel section on the Forgotten Highway (Stratford to Taumarunui), so I can see why you might have left it off of your list.
    I did those roads Friday and Saturday plus others. Gravel road section is about 12km and was easy gravel, lots of non gravelly areas but maybe that's better in dry than if it were particularly wet.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Sold
    Some mates and I did a tour in February covering part of the southern north island and up the eastern side using lots of back roads. Lots of photos here: http://geoffjames.blogspot.com//2020...ur-part-1.html and 2 subsequent posts. Happy to send you the actual routes for each area in more detail on Google Maps. Although the South Island is what most people think of as the riding "gold standard", the north island offers some fantastic rides with not much traffic.

I see that you have the Coro Loop on your list. The only advice I can give as a Coromandel resident is to avoid main holiday periods and weekends if possible - too much traffic with people leaving their brains at home. Weekdays are far more rewarding.

Thread Information