Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help choosing a bike

Bike
    cbr250rr (MC22)
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Thank you for replying ... I may sound a bit cynical ... but I'm old enough to have seen a few new fully licensed riders getting in deeper than was wise. The two (of three) resulting scenario's being ... either the bike parked up for some time awaiting money for repairs ... or repossessed and gone for good ... and still owing money on it.

Have you been on any of the other forum sites (and asked questions) ... relating to the same specific motorcycle brands and models ... ???

ps: The third scenario being ... ALL going as planned (most of the time).

A few Riding courses will help you ... even prior to Class 6 F. One or more (on here) will point you to some good ones.

I do hope it will go well with your new motorcycling status. And BIKE.

Whatever you're looking at ... ask plenty of pertinent questions. And LISTEN to the answers.
    Yup I’m in a few Facebook groups and currently waiting to join the mt group, the groups have great information. I really appreciate your reply and will listen to your advice greatly.

Cheers.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    All good advice in this thread. Forget the REFINED and more technology crap. Take as many m/cs for a test ride as you can, with mates or a mentor. KB use to have a good mentor prpgram. It rarely isn't until yoy on a machine until get a better idea of what it is like. You may find an nolder model that is still in product actually better than a new model hot of the assy line.

Is the goal to replace both current bikes orjust one?

Are you planning to do your own maintenance? Even just oil/filter and valve clearces adjustments.

Good luck.

Bike
    cbr250rr (MC22)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    All good advice in this thread. Forget the REFINED and more technology crap. Take as many m/cs for a test ride as you can, with mates or a mentor. KB use to have a good mentor prpgram. It rarely isn't until yoy on a machine until get a better idea of what it is like. You may find an nolder model that is still in product actually better than a new model hot of the assy line.

Is the goal to replace both current bikes orjust one?

Are you planning to do your own maintenance? Even just oil/filter and valve clearces adjustments.

Good luck.
    Plan is to replace the DRZ and keep my CBR for fun/uniqueness, I will be planning to do my own maintenance such as oil and other simple things.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Modestep15 View Post
    Plan is to replace the DRZ and keep my CBR for fun/uniqueness, I will be planning to do my own maintenance such as oil and other simple things.
    Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders.

You do have a fantastic selection of m/cs these days both older and newer models.

Joining up to AVDRider is probably a good idea. They have forums for a whole host of various makes and models. I just recently started a thread about Honda shoc four cylinder bikes 650-350 and had a very response wrt feedback. Just ignore the so called "NEWS" because that is just generally full of mindless drivel by most contributors who know absolutely no clue about the m/c they are going on about. It's more like a UK tabloid. .

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Really your best knowledge comes from riding/owning a variety of bikes. Generally speaking, bikes today don't suffer flexi frames, rubbish brakes etc, they're pretty good. Do you like singles, twins (which sort), triples, inline 4? v4? 6 cylinder?

Bearing in mind it's potentially your third bike, take time to get to know the mid capacity bikes, lighter, less power to complicate things, but plenty enough to get you into trouble.

Yeup, having owned a KTM before, and now owning another, Euro are not cheap to run, if you want that, get something jap. However, once you've had/ridden a few, to me at least, there is something about them, something a bit extra/special that makes up for the increased maintenance, costs etc. I do say this re KTM/BMW/Aprilia/Ducati etc, and put MV/Moto Guzzi in a separate category of hell, reserved for those really looking for the full workshop experience.

If I was looking for something to commute, it would be either Yammy (I've used a CB919 for commuting). For fun, without question, the Duke 790. Once you remember that Ducati's idea of a tourer was the Multistrada, you'll also understand KTMs "Ready to Race" philosophy. The Euros have passion baked in, but it's gonna cost ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post

Yeup, having owned a KTM before, and now owning another, Euro are not cheap to run, if you want that, get something jap. However, once you've had/ridden a few, to me at least, there is something about them, something a bit extra/special that makes up for the increased maintenance, costs etc. I do say this re KTM/BMW/Aprilia/Ducati etc, and put MV/Moto Guzzi in a separate category of hell, reserved for those really looking for the full workshop experience.

p
    We old folk just call that plain snobbery.

Had a few Beemers and they weren't the best choice of m/c for me at all.

Just saying.....

NEVER buy a m/c you think other riders/folk will like. ALWAYS by a m/c that YOU will like.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Modestep15 View Post
    Yup I’m in a few Facebook groups and currently waiting to join the mt group, the groups have great information. I really appreciate your reply and will listen to your advice greatly.

Cheers.
    Those are all good things to do so it sounds as though you have gotten the right idea. As people have said there's no substitute for test riding and choosing what you like as opposed to what you think you should like/want. One of the bikes I mentioned, the Monster 797, falls into that category. All you read will say that they bigger 821/1200 models are bigger/better/sexier and so on. Plus the 797 only has 75Bhp - How on earth could that ever be enough???

However I can tell you from riding the mechanically similar Scrambler Urban Enduro that it is a cracking machine to ride, it looks good, sounds nice and keeps you entertained. Plus it's better looking than the liquid cooled 821 and 1200 IMHO.

I was in similar situation recently with the Street Triple RS I owned a year or two back. It was a cracking bike but too top-end biased in its power delivery and as such I just didn't get as much fun from riding it as I should have done. I moved it on and re-learned the lesson that its the seat of the pants feel that's usually the most accurate and important.

Bike
    Sold
    It's almost inevitable that buying a bike involves a degree of compromise unless you own a couple or more bikes (eh, Navy Boy ?) It's that old chestnut about "fitness for purpose". If you're predominantly commuting in traffic for example, a pure sport bike can be hard going. In my case, I'm retired and live in the countryside so a Duke 790 perfectly fits my needs (although it commutes just fine in traffic, especially if you stick it in rain mode). As others have said, service costs, insurance etc will all have a bearing but it sounds like you've got plenty of time to make a decision which suits your needs. Both Navy Boy and I mentioned the emotional aspect of owning a bike. Before the 790, I had a GSX-S 1000. Great performance but I found it bland and boring - no "character" and happy to see it gone. Whatever your choice, just make sure that the bike thrills you to be riding it. From personal experience, you find that out quite quickly when you do some test rides.

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 1050se
    Blog Entries

Buy the bike YOU fancy

There are no bad bikes, just different bikes for different folks. All orders bikes like you mention are capable well engineered machines so buy what you fancy yourself on. The one you’ll look at in your garage and think, wow. Let’s ride.
    Stuff everything...I've always got my bike.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    What? Are you a new age school teacher or something?

Every bike gets a Participation certificate.

Try a poll of ex Hyosung or flyby night Chinese clone owners .

Learners used to be attracted to GN250s but they were dreadful compared with, well just about anything. Some bikes like Yamaha Scorpios were built down to such a level they rusted in front of you.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information