Advertise with Kiwi Biker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Help choosing a bike

  1. #1
    Join Date
    22nd September 2020 - 22:25
    Bike
    cbr250rr (MC22)
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    20

    Help choosing a bike

    Hey guys, I知 on my restricted currently and will be getting my full early next year so I知 looking at some options for some bikes. I知 currently riding a 1990 cbr250rr (MC22) and a drz400 dual sport. The bikes I知 currently looking at is the, KTM 790 duke, Yamaha mt-09, and a Yamaha mt-07. I leaning towards the 790 because of the modernness, such as technology that it comes with, the only thing that I知 concerned about is reliability, I知 not experienced with euro bikes and I see many people saying they have issues and many say they have none. I知 not that interested in the mt-09 as it seems a bit outdated and not as refined but it seems to be the only competitor to the 790 in performance, price, and quantity for sale. I like the price of the mt-07 and obviously don稚 expect it to be as refined and technically advanced as the other two but my concern is that it won稚 have enough power and I will soon become bored of it.

    Any feedback will be appreciated if anyone has experiences with these bikes.

    Cheers 🙂

  2. #2
    Join Date
    22nd October 2002 - 11:00
    Bike
    2019 KTM Duke 790
    Location
    Coromandel Harbour
    Posts
    4,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Modestep15 View Post
    Hey guys, I’m on my restricted currently and will be getting my full early next year so I’m looking at some options for some bikes. I’m currently riding a 1990 cbr250rr (MC22) and a drz400 dual sport. The bikes I’m currently looking at is the, KTM 790 duke, Yamaha mt-09, and a Yamaha mt-07. I leaning towards the 790 because of the modernness, such as technology that it comes with, the only thing that I’m concerned about is reliability, I’m not experienced with euro bikes and I see many people saying they have issues and many say they have none. I’m not that interested in the mt-09 as it seems a bit outdated and not as refined but it seems to be the only competitor to the 790 in performance, price, and quantity for sale. I like the price of the mt-07 and obviously don’t expect it to be as refined and technically advanced as the other two but my concern is that it won’t have enough power and I will soon become bored of it.

    Any feedback will be appreciated if anyone has experiences with these bikes.

    Cheers ��
    I've had my 790 since March 2019 and I absolutely love it. You can read my 1500 km write up here:
    http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2019/...0-km-down.html . I've now covered 14000 km and it still makes me laugh every time I ride it. The only problem I've had is a slight oil misting from the cam cover. When I was looking to buy the Duke, I was aware that some of the early ones had a few problems (all fixable under warranty) but was willing to take the risk because of how much fun the test ride was. My second choice was the Street Triple R.

    Buying a bike is as much an emotional experience as a technical one so go and ride a few bikes when you get your full then use both your head and heart to make your choice. Good luck! If you do choose the Duke, get rid of those awful Maxxis pure sport tyres they come equipped with!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    22nd September 2020 - 22:25
    Bike
    cbr250rr (MC22)
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    I've had my 790 since March 2019 and I absolutely love it. You can read my 1500 km write up here:
    http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2019/...0-km-down.html . I've now covered 14000 km and it still makes me laugh every time I ride it. The only problem I've had is a slight oil misting from the cam cover. When I was looking to buy the Duke, I was aware that some of the early ones had a few problems (all fixable under warranty) but was willing to take the risk because of how much fun the test ride was. My second choice was the Street Triple R.

    Buying a bike is as much an emotional experience as a technical one so go and ride a few bikes when you get your full then use both your head and heart to make your choice. Good luck! If you do choose the Duke, get rid of those awful Maxxis pure sport tyres they come equipped with!
    Awesome! I will be sure to read your review and thanks for you input, I will make sure to test ride the bikes I talked about when I get my full. Cheers

  4. #4
    Join Date
    24th November 2015 - 11:20
    Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    Location
    Blenheim and Welly
    Posts
    445
    As Blackbird says this is as much about the emotion as anything else. I should know as I'm quite good at the buying bikes bit. Where I don't do so well is the selling them...

    All the bikes you've mentioned are good choices. I'd also be tempted by Yammie's XSR900 which is an MT-09 in a retro/fancy dress suit and is, to my eyes at least, a lovely thing to behold. The KTM adheres to their 'Ready to race' moniker with all that that entails. Personally I'd be tempted by an MV Agusta Brutale 800 (I have slightly eclectic tastes - Can you tell?) as well as the Kawasaki Z900 and Z900 RS, both of which are fine machines that'll keep you happy for years to come.
    Navy Boy

  5. #5
    Join Date
    22nd September 2020 - 22:25
    Bike
    cbr250rr (MC22)
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    As Blackbird says this is as much about the emotion as anything else. I should know as I'm quite good at the buying bikes bit. Where I don't do so well is the selling them...

    All the bikes you've mentioned are good choices. I'd also be tempted by Yammie's XSR900 which is an MT-09 in a retro/fancy dress suit and is, to my eyes at least, a lovely thing to behold. The KTM adheres to their 'Ready to race' moniker with all that that entails. Personally I'd be tempted by an MV Agusta Brutale 800 (I have slightly eclectic tastes - Can you tell?) as well as the Kawasaki Z900 and Z900 RS, both of which are fine machines that'll keep you happy for years to come.
    Thanks for your reply, you've given me some good bikes to look into! There seems to be a lot of bikes to choose from, so I'll be sure to test ride the ones I'm looking at before purchase to make up my mind.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    24th November 2015 - 11:20
    Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    Location
    Blenheim and Welly
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by Modestep15 View Post
    Thanks for your reply, you've given me some good bikes to look into! There seems to be a lot of bikes to choose from, so I'll be sure to test ride the ones I'm looking at before purchase to make up my mind.
    From the bikes you've mentioned you seem to be wanting a grunty naked machine which can do most things pretty well. The current crop of naked bikes have come in for some real development by the manufacturers over the past 10+ years and as such you are spoiled for choice. Being in AKL you have access to the European brands as well as the Japanese ones too so that's all good though be aware that the non-routine spares on the Euro brands are often expensive. Having said that the standard servicing costs are much of a muchness so you pays your money etc.

    Another suggestion would be one of the Ducati Monster models (The air cooled 797 is a lovely machine) and don't discount the Scramblers either as they are great fun.

    Let us know how your test rides go.
    Navy Boy

  7. #7
    Join Date
    22nd September 2020 - 22:25
    Bike
    cbr250rr (MC22)
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    From the bikes you've mentioned you seem to be wanting a grunty naked machine which can do most things pretty well. The current crop of naked bikes have come in for some real development by the manufacturers over the past 10+ years and as such you are spoiled for choice. Being in AKL you have access to the European brands as well as the Japanese ones too so that's all good though be aware that the non-routine spares on the Euro brands are often expensive. Having said that the standard servicing costs are much of a muchness so you pays your money etc.

    Another suggestion would be one of the Ducati Monster models (The air cooled 797 is a lovely machine) and don't discount the Scramblers either as they are great fun.

    Let us know how your test rides go.
    Will do! Cheers

  8. #8
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,528
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Modestep15 View Post
    Will do! Cheers
    Have you had a look around your local shops to see what looks good ... or even ... what is available ... ???

    Have you priced any of the suggested models both to buy and insure .. ??? Is money for both of those things going to be and issue for you ???

    Do you intend paying cash ... or the three years of easy monthly payments option ... ???

    I'm curious ... do you have a realistic budget ... or is cash not an issue ... ???

    Serious questions can (and should be) expected to be asked ... by people (including dealers) prior to allowing "Test rides" ... especially of those with newly minted full license. A full price "Deposit" might be required first before a test ride. And if you're under 25 ... insurance costs are astronomical anyway.

    I. T. students are generally not known for their wealth.


    Bike hunting is fun ... but reality can be a bitch. Dreams and good intentions are free though.

    Remember ... purchase price is only the beginning of a large list on ongoing expenses. And that is even without including any REPAIR costs. (It does happen)

    Are you up for it .. ??
    Sweat wipes off. Road-rash doesn't.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    20th June 2011 - 20:27
    Bike
    BMW XChallenge, MT09
    Location
    Glen Eden
    Posts
    9,794
    I ride a MT09 as my daily. Its been flashed. Doubt much would beat it to 100kph.

    Only go KTM if you are prepared for troubles and warranty claims.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    22nd September 2020 - 22:25
    Bike
    cbr250rr (MC22)
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Have you had a look around your local shops to see what looks good ... or even ... what is available ... ???

    Have you priced any of the suggested models both to buy and insure .. ??? Is money for both of those things going to be and issue for you ???

    Do you intend paying cash ... or the three years of easy monthly payments option ... ???

    I'm curious ... do you have a realistic budget ... or is cash not an issue ... ???

    Serious questions can (and should be) expected to be asked ... by people (including dealers) prior to allowing "Test rides" ... especially of those with newly minted full license. A full price "Deposit" might be required first before a test ride. And if you're under 25 ... insurance costs are astronomical anyway.

    I. T. students are generally not known for their wealth.


    Bike hunting is fun ... but reality can be a bitch. Dreams and good intentions are free though.

    Remember ... purchase price is only the beginning of a large list on ongoing expenses. And that is even without including any REPAIR costs. (It does happen)

    Are you up for it .. ??
    Yup I've considered the cost and insurance, I will be willingly to pay up to 12-12.5k for a bike hence why the mt-07 is appealing to me as it seems to be a lot cheaper for a good bike (7-10k). I'm just skeptical that I will become bored of the mt-07 and will seek for more power/performance, I also know that power doesn't mean everything I'm just future proofing myself in a way. I will be paying in cash also, not getting a loan so if I can't afford the bike up front I don't think it will be wise to get a loan as I don't want to buy what I cant afford.

    I've chosen those three bikes as they are in my budget, and they seem to be in great quantity. I'm also aware that there are ongoing expenses of owning a bike hence why I was worried about the reliability of a European bike as the parts are more expensive then a Japanese bike.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    22nd September 2020 - 22:25
    Bike
    cbr250rr (MC22)
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    I ride a MT09 as my daily. Its been flashed. Doubt much would beat it to 100kph.

    Only go KTM if you are prepared for troubles and warranty claims.
    For some reason I'm not that drawn to the mt-09 however, I'm more drawn to the mt-07, I'm just skeptical about the power and if it will be enough in the future.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    10th December 2009 - 22:42
    Bike
    less than I used to have
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    3,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Modestep15 View Post
    For some reason I'm not that drawn to the mt-09 however, I'm more drawn to the mt-07, I'm just skeptical about the power and if it will be enough in the future.

    ...the future is what happens after you do what you do next...fuck the future...far too much emphasis on the future means you miss out on today...the biggest future thought should be on, whose gonna be your handbrake and avoiding all forms of it...get a Honda, you meet the nicest people...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    22nd September 2020 - 22:25
    Bike
    cbr250rr (MC22)
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...the future is what happens after you do what you do next...fuck the future...far too much emphasis on the future means you miss out on today...the biggest future thought should be on, whose gonna be your handbrake and avoiding all forms of it...get a Honda, you meet the nicest people...
    Very well said hahaha

  14. #14
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,528
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Modestep15 View Post
    Yup I've considered the cost and insurance, I will be willingly to pay up to 12-12.5k for a bike hence why the mt-07 is appealing to me as it seems to be a lot cheaper for a good bike (7-10k). I'm just skeptical that I will become bored of the mt-07 and will seek for more power/performance, I also know that power doesn't mean everything I'm just future proofing myself in a way. I will be paying in cash also, not getting a loan so if I can't afford the bike up front I don't think it will be wise to get a loan as I don't want to buy what I cant afford.

    I've chosen those three bikes as they are in my budget, and they seem to be in great quantity. I'm also aware that there are ongoing expenses of owning a bike hence why I was worried about the reliability of a European bike as the parts are more expensive then a Japanese bike.
    Thank you for replying ... I may sound a bit cynical ... but I'm old enough to have seen a few new fully licensed riders getting in deeper than was wise. The two (of three) resulting scenario's being ... either the bike parked up for some time awaiting money for repairs ... or repossessed and gone for good ... and still owing money on it.

    Have you been on any of the other forum sites (and asked questions) ... relating to the same specific motorcycle brands and models ... ???

    ps: The third scenario being ... ALL going as planned (most of the time).

    A few Riding courses will help you ... even prior to Class 6 F. One or more (on here) will point you to some good ones.

    I do hope it will go well with your new motorcycling status. And BIKE.


    Whatever you're looking at ... ask plenty of pertinent questions. And LISTEN to the answers.
    Sweat wipes off. Road-rash doesn't.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    20th June 2011 - 20:27
    Bike
    BMW XChallenge, MT09
    Location
    Glen Eden
    Posts
    9,794
    Quote Originally Posted by Modestep15 View Post
    For some reason I'm not that drawn to the mt-09 however, I'm more drawn to the mt-07, I'm just skeptical about the power and if it will be enough in the future.
    Fair enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •