Thread: Dealers second hand bikes cheaper than TM sellers

Bike
    Several old ones

Dealers second hand bikes cheaper than TM sellers

I know its been mentioned lots on TM. But the many stupid prices sellers are asking for their bikes on TM is laughable.
    In reality very few bikes on TM are selling that are over priced.
    Bikes will sell if they are priced right, ie 1982-1986 bikes some people are asking $5-6k when they are worth $3-4 k
    It seems that Nortons , some old BMW's seem to sell well. TM is full of old Triumphs that are priced at $10k + that nobody seem to want.
    I cant blame sellers for having a go, and try and get top dollar, but the true bargains will sell quickly, others sit there for months.
    Many Japanese brands 20-35 year old bikes sellers want $6-8k for. Dealers are selling these bikes cheaper than TM, no wonder on TM they are not selling.
    There is no doubt that bargains on TM sell very quickly. My advice to sellers is get real.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Tread carefully. Katman and Styrofoam (oops autocorrect but I'll leave it as is) will accuse you of eating baby seals or something like that.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Since many dealers sell on TM it would seem to be a self correcting problem.
    You'd need to be a bit 'special' to pay a private seller more than a dealer for a similar bike.

Of course there's the oft quoted ploy where the missus is demanding he flog the bike off, so he puts it on TM with a price high enough so that he gets no offers.

We used to have a great thread about that sort of thing hereabout?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Since many dealers sell on TM it would seem to be a self correcting problem.
    You'd need to be a bit 'special' to pay a private seller more than a dealer for a similar bike.

Of course there's the oft quoted ploy where the missus is demanding he flog the bike off, so he puts it on TM with a price high enough so that he gets no offers.

We used to have a great thread about that sort of thing hereabout?
    The dealer would generally have a better idea what it cost them. And what they might actually (hope to ??) get for it. Both of which I would expect to be lower that the average punter would have thought it was worth.

Trade-in's on Trademe with the start price at (or a bit above) what it owes them ... would be expected.

The bike ... together with a few included accessories they had in the shop that fits (new or second hand) ... It would still work in the shops favor.

And still be a good deal to both buyer and seller.

The one's with no reserve they just want gone. No warranty offered ... or implied. Read the fine print on those one's ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    I've sold three bikes on TM. I was honest about the bikes and asked what I thought was a fair price. Two sold in the first advert and the other took two adverts after I dropped the price a couple of hundy off the first advert.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    I've had nothing but quick turnarounds too. But, my bikes tend to be higher mileage when I sell them, so I put them on there at pretty realistic prices to compensate for there being lower mileage options available.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Several old ones

What it costs to get a bike to WoF status

Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    The dealer would generally have a better idea what it cost them. And what they might actually (hope to ??) get for it. Both of which I would expect to be lower that the average punter would have thought it was worth.

Trade-in's on Trademe with the start price at (or a bit above) what it owes them ... would be expected.

The bike ... together with a few included accessories they had in the shop that fits (new or second hand) ... It would still work in the shops favor.
    Having bought and sold several bikes, and been sucked in a few times, buying a bike that has expired rego , no wof can often cost 1000-$1500 to get sorted, doing it all yourself.
    New tyres, new fork seals need always replaced, invariably a new chain is required, carbs are often gunked up, inside tank rusty with its fuel issues, rear shocks often knackered, new oils and liquids required all round along with new filters. Wheel and head bearings knackered. And the sellers then have the cheek to say, the bike is in good condition, motor runs well, and they want within a few dollars of genuine good condition bike with a current rego and wof.
    My advise to noobies is buyer beware, don't get sucked in.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman1 View Post
    Having bought and sold several bikes, and been sucked in a few times, buying a bike that has expired rego , no wof can often cost 1000-$1500 to get sorted, doing it all yourself.
    New tyres, new fork seals need always replaced, invariably a new chain is required, carbs are often gunked up, inside tank rusty with its fuel issues, rear shocks often knackered, new oils and liquids required all round along with new filters. Wheel and head bearings knackered. And the sellers then have the cheek to say, the bike is in good condition, motor runs well, and they want within a few dollars of genuine good condition bike with a current rego and wof.
    My advise to noobies is buyer beware, don't get sucked in.
    I do a quick working out of what it needs for a WOF. Even putting it through a WOF check (and NOT giving the owner the check sheet pass or fail) is recommended. Then you are really in a position to haggle.

If the resulting extra cost needed to get it up to roadworthy condition ... and that cost will bring it to the condition you expected it should be in the description ... then some negotiation is required. If they wont ... walk away. Watch to see if it sells. If it doesn't ... make an offer.

Expired rego is no issue ... just do the ownership change immediately after purchase and put it on hold. A new owner is only legally liable for rego costs AFTER the date of purchase. Nothing PRIOR to purchase.(Get a receipt of purchase and make sure it's dated) Then the relevant authority sends the previous owner a reminder of the rego costs outstanding for the vehicle in the mail. As is where is condition of sale ... does not include any registration fees still owed by the previous owner. As is where is condition is only to forewarn the buyer that NO warranty or guarantee of any kind applies to the vehicle and that you accept that condition of sale.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I've just been sucked in. I can highly recommend it.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    raptor 1000
    Dealers pay F all for trade ins, they move them on with a margin, private sellers want as much as they can get to invest into the next bike...........its like housing everybody wants affordable housing until they are selling a house, then its top dollar

Bike
    Upgraded to 765!
    Trade me success fees are pretty steep now too. I dont know if it is because of that, covid, or both, but the number of listings on all sorts of categories is waaaaaay down on what it used to be. Facebook market place must be taking some of the listings too.

Are some of the TM listings from dealers?

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Dad and I used to buy cheap cars and do em up and flog them on back in the day. He was a mechanic and I was pretty handy on the cosmetics. We did OK..

He would always ask me what I thought a car was worth... His rules for a fast sale were..

Don't make it perfect - always leave some simple thing for the next guy to improve on.
    Price it to sell - you are selling the bloody thing not encouraging people to look at it.
    Price it fairly - Always leave a bit of flesh on the bone for the next guy
    ALWAYS make sure the wheels and windows are spot on!

Thread Information